• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: THR: Live-Action Robotech Project Signs Furious 7 Director James Wan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treiz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
... how are they going to make a Robotech movie without the Macross aspects? The Macross, the Veratech fighters, the characters from Macross, the aliens (Zentradi) from Macross? These are the aspects people remember most and HG definitely can't use them.

They can't use the exact designs as seen in the show, simple redesigns would fix that. I would expect them to modernize the designs regardless so I don't see how this is an issue. People still went to see transformers in droves, they still went to see Star Trek, etc etc. >.>
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:58 am Reply with quote
At least they got a good director. I'm pretty sure this film will be mostly original content, but it might still have some shout outs to the original series. I would love to see an adaptation of the Macross Saga, but if it's original content, you don't have to worry about the quality of the adaptation.

And I doubt there would be many complications either way. Sony is far more powerful than any other company involved with Robotech. They could make almost anything happen.
Also are Rick Hunter, Lisa Hayes, etc legally the same characters as Hikaru Ichijo, Misa Hayase, etc?

Actually you'd be surprised at how faithful Robotech was to the original Japanese series. They changed some names, terms, and backstories, but for the most part, the adaptations were pretty faithful for the time, especially Mospeada. Robotech arguably improved Southern Cross and Mospeada, and it's definitely more famous than both.

I would love to see Robotech: The Movie released in it's complete form. I don't know why ADV didn't do that since they had the license to Megazone 23. Don't get me wrong. I loves me some Megazone 23, but I'm curious to see a good quality copy of the Robotech version.
Speaking of which, a live action Megazone 23 would be cool too!
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
SW: Number three could happen, but they'd have to pay for that. So it's not likely.

walw: Well, Japanese companies never fought Hasbro over the rights to Jem. So childhoods can be ruined on the cheap with that property. Laughing

Purple:
Quote:
Sony is far more powerful than any other company involved with Robotech.

Actually, they're billions in debt, and Bandai isn't. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I would love to see Robotech: The Movie released in it's complete form. I don't know why ADV didn't do that since they had the license to Megazone 23.

Because they'd probably have to go through HG for that.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
Asian director................
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Asian director................

Sixth Sense is my favourite Bollywood movie.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
So does anyone know why HG are so desperate to keep this going? There may still be fans, but they don't number to high, and even among them some aren't even interested in anything beyond the original.

There seems to be nothing to gain from this, they would probably get a lot more money releasing the other Macross shows; 7, Zero, Frontier.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
Marshal: If someone else wants to pay them for this mistake, then why would they say no?
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

There seems to be nothing to gain from this, they would probably get a lot more money releasing the other Macross shows; 7, Zero, Frontier.

I'm sure Harmony Gold want their share of those series but Big West doesn't want to deal with them, because Harmony Gold would be just a money grabbing middleman. Unfortunately Big West can't directly deal with Aniplex, Funimation etc. either, because of the Western trademark, which Harmony Gold is holding.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:40 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
invalidname wrote:
For a franchise that abandoned its last Kickstarter without even reaching the 40% mark, Sony's dedication to Robotech is really something.

I think the reason Sony is willing to take the risk, is because movie studios been looking for the next big Sci-Fi, and turn that into a new movie blockbuster. And Robotech / Macross is pretty much one of the few remaining well-known series that hasn't been butchered by Hollywood. So in spite of HG's failed attempt at Kickstarter, I think Sony's willing to take the risk.

But there are plenty of other sci-fi properties out there that Sony could hang their hat on, which is why it's weird that they keep trying with Robotech, when it's clear that even what's left of the current fan base doesn't seem to want more of it.

That means their best prospect might be to forget the fans, cut any ties to the source material and do whatever they can to interest the mass market, totally starting over with RINO ("Robotech In Name Only"). And at that point, why not just do something original? The "Robotech" name isn't that strong -- I was a fan back in the 80's and let me tell you, it was far behind Transformers, GoBots, and even Voltron in name recognition.

There are anime Sony could license that have much better fan support and name recognition in the broader public. Imagine how nuts the Internet would go if they announced a Hollywood version of Attack on Titan or Fullmetal Alchemist? Those would be far more viable than Robotech.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote
I never had that much a problem with how Robotech turned out in the 80s. Another way to bring over Macross wouldn't have worked in that climate, the dub was very respectable for the time and the slot and the "toon" raised awareness for anime around the globe as i knew of it in Russia too.
I never saw the other 2 anime they threw into it but i saw the omitted Orguss which suck where the 90s OVA sequel is good. What a convoluted franchise!
I further think that Minmay is a bullshit character in the first show (the VA and movie version are good) so if they go with the new names and the changed characterization than i am all for it.
Or they should just adapt the movie as it is better written than the show which took a dive during the last act. Hideaki Anno was an animater on it btw.

I just found China's "first sci-fi animation" and it´s Macross. Lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_Plan Here is Space Gundam V and it is Macross too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Gundam_V
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
Just as it goes with other planned adaptations, how many years we wait until it gets released is the question. I do understand that some titles might take longer than others to plan/develop, however, if it's at least 2.5 years down the line and filming hasn't started yet, that's when I personally think that all the investments might have been for not.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So does anyone know why HG are so desperate to keep this going? There may still be fans, but they don't number to high, and even among them some aren't even interested in anything beyond the original.

Robotech's fandom must be dwindling, how do they get new fans? It's easy for Macross, just have a new season come out. Frontier became pretty damn popular and introduced tons to Macross even airing against Code Geass R2, and we have Delta coming soon.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
Wan does realize that he's going to be directing a glorified Battle: Los Angeles sequel, right?

No robots, no transforming jets, , no love triangle, no Chinese pop idols, no NOTHING.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
It's amazing that there are people out there that still want to make Robotech relevant despite its waning small fan base.

The producers of this live-action movie of Robotech are climbing a really steep mountain.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
The main problem is that a lot of anime fans have an almost 'institutional' hatred for Harmony Gold and Robotech,

So much so, that they make declarative statements about the fandom all the time.

I am a Robotech fan and a Macross fan. I too, am not happy that I cannot buy domestic Macross franchise media. I too, realize that it is Harmony Gold that is to be held responsible for this state of affairs.

But that is not Robotech's fault.

Some asked where do new fans come from. For one the mainstream world doesn't have the anime fan bias. They could care less what a bunch of anime nerds like us all think. They still sell Robotech gaming merchandise in stores. One comic/gaming store owner told me that it sells. Several years ago, there was a PC mod community. Not sure if it is still active.

So there are Robotech fans, there are even some that have the 'heretical' view that Robotech is better than Macross.

Robotech is mainstream. That is why Sony wanted it. Every time Robotech appears here in the news, it makes me happy knowing that a Robotech hater is going to have 'heart palpitations' because a supposedly dead fan base and the 'evil' Robotech won't stay dead.

I got into anime because of Robotech. I still have the pilot VHS tape, that I bought from an ad in the Starlog magazine. Hate Harmony Gold all you want, but for many of us Robotech is part of our anime history.

Still think that if Sony wants a true adaptation of Robotech, they can make it happen with all parties agreeing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5