• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aldnoah.Zero Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
@ChibiKangaroo

Dude, you're blaming Urobuchi for the wrong things. You may not realize it, but Urobuchi isn't responsible for nearly half the stuff being put out with his name on it these days. He didn't even create Inaho. All he did was put in some ideas for the world and write three episodes. Here's a list of stuff Urobuchi was(n't) responsible for:

Stuff Urobuchi Wrote (the majority of)

Blassreiter
Phantom: Requiem
Madoka
Fate zero
Psycho-Pass Season One
Expelled from Paradise

Stuff Urobuchi Didn't Write (the majority of)

Gargantia (only the first and last episodes)
Aldnoah (only the first three episodes of the series)
Psycho-Pass 2
Gunslinger Stratos

Complicated Cases

Chaos Dragon (based on roleplay he did with some of his writer buddies)

There? You got that? Good.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Incidently, do you have a suggestion of a scriptwriter or director whose works I should pay more attention to?

To be honest, I'm probably not the right person to ask for something like that. I tend not to look at shows based on what individuals are contributing to it, but rather as the work as a whole. My previous posts are good examples of this, because Akane has just gone and shown how much input Urobuchi appears to have had the shows he's made. I'm not sure that her listing is entirely reliable (I suspect he had more input on some projects than is officially given), but it's probably a good ballpark estimate.

As a result of the above, I don't often get all worked up (or down) over who did what in an anime. Instead, I'm more about the internal consistency of the show, whether the dialog made sense, was the plot consistent, did the animation hold up throughout. But most of all: was it a good story? Both the premise *and* the execution need to be good. If they are, then I'm pretty forgiving of many other flaws an anime may have.

Urobuchi does come up with some pretty good story premises. I don't think Aldnoah is one of those good premises, however, as the background just never made any sense to me.

I could recommend a show like Haibane Renmai, which I thought has very good writing and screenplay, but I think you're better off just trying out various anime and seeing for yourself. That's pretty much what I do, and I think I've done pretty well on picking anime I end up liking.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
@ChibiKangaroo

Dude, you're blaming Urobuchi for the wrong things. You may not realize it, but Urobuchi isn't responsible for nearly half the stuff being put out with his name on it these days.

The set-up that I was talking about all occurred in the first episode, which was written by Urobuchi. Also, the general story/concept of the show was created by Urobuchi. Thus, the "modus operandi" that I referred to can be imputed to him.

The fact that other people later executed Aldnoah.Zero just as poorly as him doesn't absolve him of responsibility. The show was doomed from the beginning.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
^ Actually, I did some more research, and I discovered that the head writer for this turkey was this random guy they got named Katsuhiko Takayama. He wrote the rest of Season One and the majority of Season Two. I'm pretty sure Urobuchi just wrote the dialogue, came up with some ideas, and that was it. It ain't his world, and it ain't his story. The ANN article on Aldnoah explicitly credits Takayama with the series composition.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
^ Actually, I did some more research, and I discovered that the head writer for this turkey was this random guy they got named Katsuhiko Takayama. He wrote the rest of Season One and the majority of Season Two. I'm pretty sure Urobuchi just wrote the dialogue, came up with some ideas, and that was it. It ain't his world, and it ain't his story. The ANN article on Aldnoah explicitly credits Takayama with the series composition.

Nothing you said there contradicts Urobuchi writing episode one. You are just saying some other guy wrote the majority of the show. That's great, I put blame on both of them Smile But Urobuchi's name is bandied about as some kind of gold standard by many critics. This was a stain on his standard.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
^ What I meant was that Urobuchi wrote what the characters said, not the events that happened. Sorry if I didn't clarify. This anime almost perverted the name of Urobuchi-sensei. Thank god for Expelled from Paradise. Now that movie was really good, in my opinion.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
Incidently, do you have a suggestion of a scriptwriter or director whose works I should pay more attention to?

[...]

I could recommend a show like Haibane Renmai, which I thought has very good writing and screenplay, but I think you're better off just trying out various anime and seeing for yourself. That's pretty much what I do, and I think I've done pretty well on picking anime I end up liking.

I love Haibane Renmei, but I try to warn people that the first six episodes are world-building episodes (i.e., slow as molasses). Slice-of-life anime isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Yep, it's as dumb as it sounds. At the time of the invasion most Martian adults would have had close relatives still living on Earth (uncles, aunties, grandparents et cetera), yet they still considered themselves to be a superior race.

Had there been a couple of hundred years between colonisation and invasion, the attitude of the Martians would have been understandable. But less than three decades? Welcome to Gen Urobuchi half-arsing it with an ill-thought-out premise.

Yeah, at least 100 or so years would sound better. At least let most of the people who were born and lived on earth pass away first.

Quote:

Actually the fact that the Martians see themselves as superior is important, since it is the reason why they attacked the Earth in the first place. It's the reason why spoiler[Slaine is treated so badly.] And it generally underlies the entire attitude of the Martian forces, especially their orbital knights.

I was actually referring to the short timeline being referenced in the series, but I see how you could misinterpret what I wrote. No worries.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:

To be honest, I'm probably not the right person to ask for something like that. I tend not to look at shows based on what individuals are contributing to it, but rather as the work as a whole. My previous posts are good examples of this, because Akane has just gone and shown how much input Urobuchi appears to have had the shows he's made. I'm not sure that her listing is entirely reliable (I suspect he had more input on some projects than is officially given), but it's probably a good ballpark estimate.

As a result of the above, I don't often get all worked up (or down) over who did what in an anime. Instead, I'm more about the internal consistency of the show, whether the dialog made sense, was the plot consistent, did the animation hold up throughout. But most of all: was it a good story? Both the premise *and* the execution need to be good. If they are, then I'm pretty forgiving of many other flaws an anime may have.

Urobuchi does come up with some pretty good story premises. I don't think Aldnoah is one of those good premises, however, as the background just never made any sense to me.

Haibane Renmei is a masterpiece of undisputable quality. It was 6 hours of entertained self-reflexion. At least it was so for me. It belongs to my personal Holy Alliance (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Haibane Renmei, Martian Successor Nadesico, Serial Experiments Lain, Boogiepop Phantom, The Vision of Escaflowne, Psycho-Pass, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex).

I guess you are right. For most time, I didn't follow authors in particular. I've always been experimental, and I'll keep heading that way.

Thank You! Smile

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hellsoldier wrote:

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

[...]

nobahn wrote:

I love Haibane Renmei, but I try to warn people that the first six episodes are world-building episodes (i.e., slow as molasses). Slice-of-life anime isn't everyone's cup of tea.

People are too addicted to action. I agree: Haibane Renmei is spetacular, and I'm not too big on SoL either.

{Merged serial posts. ~nobahn}
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:

Phantom: Requiem

While Urobuchi was the writer of the original visual novel and he did contribute to a few episodes of the anime, it should be noted that the anime isn't entirely his work. Much of the credit has to go to Kuroda Yousuke, who was the series composer and main writer for a number of the hit episodes.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:

Fate zero

Again, Urobuchi did the original novels but the anime wasn't his work. The anime scripts were written by a number of individual screenwriters from the studio and were only collectively credited as Ufotable. The anime series, ultimately feels a little different in tone, pacing and sequence of events from the novels, and this is out of Urobuchi's control. Common criticisms of the anime, such as the infodump in Episode 1, wasn't Urobuchi's fault.

Despite the fact that Urobuchi did confirm in an interview that he supervised the scripts, I do not think he would be too engaged with the role.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:

Psycho-Pass Season One

Psycho-Pass Season One can be counted as a "complicated case".

Urobuchi was the series composer of the series and he did the outline of the anime. That's confirmed. But for the individual scripts, I remember that in an interview, he said that Fukami Makoto was the one doing all the writing and he was the supervisor. So in this case it's a little unorthodox in terms of work arrangement.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:

Aldnoah (only the first three episodes of the series)

I agree with this, and it's a little misleading in my opinion that Urobuchi's name is on the preview for this article. Urobuchi did an outline of the series, but the ultimate product was confirmed to steer completely away from what was planned. Urobuchi even stated himself that he has "no attachment to the characters".

What happens is that, the job of series composer and main writer for the anime is handled by another guy called Takayama Katsuhiko, and while he had written gems such as the Baka Test seasons or Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, Aldnoah is certainly not one of them.

Takayama does not handle such anime with relatively dark tones very well. Look at Mirai Nikki and tell me that the guy did not fudge up the pacing of that series. His Ga-Rei Zero, while I enjoyed it a lot, still suffers from the issue of having characters that I do not care about.

And also, this guy wrote Boku no Pico.

Hellsoldier wrote:

List of writers and directors that I pay attention to:
Gen Urobuchi: I know about the criticism of his work in this thread, but it still excites me to check out new anime with his name slapped onto it.

Watanabe Shinichirou: Needs no explanation.

Hanada Jukki: This guy is more of "hit-or-miss", with masterpieces like Steins;Gate or Chuunibyou under his belt, while stuff like Idolmaster Xenoglossia was absolutely awful. But notice that his works usually have greater originality even within adapted works. He has the tendency to change characters/events from the original work, and that's what I look out for.

Kuroda Yousuke: Great writer, but his works are generally not considered masterpieces. The word I should use here is "steady", since this guy usually handles all/majority of the scripts in a series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3