• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Noir Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
.. the cover reminds me of Gosick

....and you reminded me of Gosick. Some day...........

i guess i know who it is now...

well... the feeling is mutual..
motormind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:13 am Reply with quote
Actually, of the Bee Train's "girls with guns trilogy" I finds El Cazador De La Bruja the most compelling, if only because Nadie and Ellis feel so much more human. Kirika and Mireille often feel more like robots than actual beings with feelings, and I hated the ambiguous ending. Why not simply state that they are a couple and will live happily ever after? They would have done so if they had been a guy and a girl, for sure.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
To add to the number of releases ADV also did a re-release in 2008 of the series in a 7 disc thin pack before they went under and renamed themselves and lost the license.

I'm not sure it this set had all the extras or not I'm guessing not based on their other think pack releases after the initial 3 they started off with.

The thin pack of Noir from 2005 was 1 of the first 3 series ADV did as thin pack box sets at a cheaper price and with all the extras and same number of discs.

After that all thin packs had less discs and all the extras axed, so that ADV wanted you to buy the singles if you wanted all the extra content and also if you wanted the series right away.

When I re-watched Noir on Blu-Ray it was almost like watching it all over again for the first time since I hadn't watched my DVD copy in many years. It held up pretty well of course compared to what we have today you can't fault it for having a few quirks here and their.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
To add to the number of releases ADV also did a re-release in 2008 of the series in a 7 disc thin pack before they went under and renamed themselves and lost the license.

I'm not sure it this set had all the extras or not I'm guessing not based on their other think pack releases after the initial 3 they started off with.

The thin pack of Noir from 2005 was 1 of the first 3 series ADV did as thin pack box sets at a cheaper price and with all the extras and same number of discs.

After that all thin packs had less discs and all the extras axed, so that ADV wanted you to buy the singles if you wanted all the extra content and also if you wanted the series right away.

When I re-watched Noir on Blu-Ray it was almost like watching it all over again for the first time since I hadn't watched my DVD copy in many years. It held up pretty well of course compared to what we have today you can't fault it for having a few quirks here and their.

The one I have is the thinpak from 2007 (08?) that has all the bells and whistles (essentially its got all the extras! just doesn't have the booklets or anything from the single discs) so this was one of the rare occasions that it did have extras.
The Angelic Layer, Azumanga Daioh, Chrono Crusade, and Madlax thinpak boxsets I have lack the extras. Sad
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
mpg13 wrote:
All three shows in the series are among my favorites. Girls with guns and good stories.

Yeah, I enjoyed all three of them.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I was hooked on this series from the moment Kirika hung the guy by his necktie in the first episode. Smile After that I just enjoyed how she MacGyvered most of her weapons. And the soundtrack certainly didn't hurt.

Yup.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
I've been thinking about which of the Girls with Guns anime I hould start with. Maybe this or Madlax... I'm undecided.

You should start with this one, as Noir easily deserves to be considered the defining title for serious-minded "girls with guns" series.

I also think "Coppelia's Casket" (really a cleverly-named song, given the characterizations in the series) is the defining Ali Project song. Just about everything else they've done for anime sounds like it was patterned on that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3