• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DBZ: Kai, Akame ga KILL! Topped Saturday U.S. Cable Ratings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
If the second bestselling manga of all time gets a "true" sequel (i neither core nor like Dragon Ball after Piccolo but that is besides the point) and it has to air at night in America of all places where it was a generational touchstone about a decade ago (DBZ shows up in the movie Boyhood!) then i find it safe to say that anime is officially out of favor with the mainstream.
The piracy numbers are huge, geek media reports on every factoid of the franchise and the show/movie are tacking great in Japan but i now official don´t consider anime an art form that can currently survive on international (?) TV. I don´t think that if fit the format to begin with and i for one welcome our new web overlords. DBZ had a primetime slot over here in the early to mid 00s btw.

@leafy sea dragon American elderly have the most hardcore tastes of all as they are the one who keep Law & Order: SVU (366 episodes!) and so on afloat which are about as dark as Hannibal on a narrative level. These shows though just don´t present themselves as grim and gritty and as morality tales only so thus they succeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
These are some pretty bad rating when compared to "real" tv but Nielsen ratings are absolute anyway and we are talking about a midnight slot so whatever.
That said i am surprised that Dragon Ball has been banished to such a graveyard shift. Shouldn't it be capable to have a presence during the day due to the name?

Cartoon Network airs last week's Kai episode on Saturday at 8PM in addition to the Toonami broadcast. Let's not forget that this is a five year old recut of a 25 year old show that's already been run extensively on Nicktoons and The CW.

residentgrigo wrote:
If the second bestselling manga of all time gets a "true" sequel (i neither core nor like Dragon Ball after Piccolo but that is besides the point) and it has to air at night in America of all places where it was a generational touchstone about a decade ago (DBZ shows up in the movie Boyhood!) then i find it safe to say that anime is officially out of favor with the mainstream.

Toonami is airing Dragon Ball Kai, not Dragon Ball Super. The crew at Toonami have indicated that Super is probably going to be out of their price range due to interest from other broadcasters. It likely won't get a 12AM premiere.

Sunny milk wrote:
I don't know what I should say about the audience, when a kid orientated shounen show is the most popular among adults...

They're nostalgic? The entire Toonami revival concept feasts on that.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
When is Dragon Ball Super supposed to premier in the US?
I just typed in the title at work and the first link is to a piracy site that has it subbed in German so i wouldn’t wait too long. Patience is a virtue but they are only burning money as South Park can voice a show in about a day or 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
The show is still airing in Japan. Don't expect it on US TV until at least that's done.

I am surprised that no one's legally streaming it, though. I expect it's either too out-of-reach, price-wise, or that there's a bidding war that hasn't ended yet.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting that you mention that 18-34 isn't as important anymore with advertisers, which is why [as] seems to have slightly shifted their target demo to 18-49 (and that's a good thing because I turn 35 next year!)

As for OLDER demographics, We've got one bit of data for 50+ (men), regarding Akame ga KILL!, and it's not very favorable, but it is listed at the top along with those monster numbers for 18-34, 18-49, and total viewers:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-100-saturday-cable-originals-8-8-2015.html

The bitter irony is that percentage-wise, by process of elimination, Chiller might actually have had the greater percentage of 50+ watching its anime block. But it was still cancelled, which would seem to indicate, along with sites like these, that there is still desired value in the 18-49 demographic as a whole.
emory

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
It's interesting that you mention that 18-34 isn't as important anymore with advertisers, which is why [as] seems to have slightly shifted their target demo to 18-49 (and that's a good thing because I turn 35 next year!)

As for OLDER demographics, We've got one bit of data for 50+ (men), regarding Akame ga KILL!, and it's not very favorable, but it is listed at the top along with those monster numbers for 18-34, 18-49, and total viewers:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-100-saturday-cable-originals-8-8-2015.html

The bitter irony is that percentage-wise, by process of elimination, Chiller might actually have had the greater percentage of 50+ watching its anime block. But it was still cancelled, which would seem to indicate, along with sites like these, that there is still desired value in the 18-49 demographic as a whole.

18-34 is still Adult Swim's most important age range. It's always what they mention in their press releases first and foremost, along with 18-24, but they have mentioned 18-49 more lately. 18-49 the age range the vast majority of television tries to capture, which is why those numbers are made public and most TV news sites rank programs by that number.
emory

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
When is Dragon Ball Super supposed to premier in the US?
I just typed in the title at work and the first link is to a piracy site that has it subbed in German so i wouldn’t wait too long. Patience is a virtue but they are only burning money as South Park can voice a show in about a day or 2.

No one has licensed it in any way. No streaming, no TV, no DVD/BD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3