• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Will Happen To A Convict's Voice Acting Work?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
He Pierce right? I never saw that character as very strange.

PS i also think he's named and introduced in like episode 1

He is introduced in episode 1. He isn't named in either season of index or railgun. The character was eventually named, but it was fairly recent and after all existing raildex dubs.

SailorTralfamadore wrote:
That being said, calling it a "personal failure" seems like a stretch to me.

Sounds like semantics to me unless you're really going to argue that you don't see a problem with a person being completely unable to distinguish between fiction and reality. Does someone who goes on a shooting spree due to being unable to distinguish reality from a video game not have a personal failure separating fiction and reality? If you want to answer that with a 'no' then please explain where the failure is.

That said, in this case, referring to it like that does come off as unnecessarily harsh because 'personal failure' sounds like we should just automatically expect success which ignores the difficulty of moving past a trauma. So yeah, there is a better way to say it. I chose 'problem' because I think that carries the implication that it would be better if solved without the implication that the individual should be blamed.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
The character was eventually named, but it was fairly recent and after all existing raildex dubs.

Wait, did I miss something? He's always gone as Aogami Pierce in everything Index and Railgun I've read, except for when he's selling sexual fantasy dreams
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Wait, did I miss something? He's always gone as Aogami Pierce in everything Index and Railgun I've read, except for when he's selling sexual fantasy dreams

Aogami Pierce isn't his name. He is just referred to by his characteristics of blue hair and a pierced ear.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm aware, I was wondering where he was named.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I'm aware, I was wondering where he was named.

Then I'm not sure why you said he has always gone as Aogami Pierce when he has never actually gone as that any more than Touma has gone as 'spiked hair'.

And you already mentioned where he was named. Though I think it is quite possible Blau is a nickname and not his real name, but either way it is actually a name not a description.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
My question is if you buy, stream with ads, etc, any of the series he was in new the dub of, will he get some type of residuals?

haha hell no. dub actors don't get residual checks except maybe the big names who get cast in Ghibli films and the like.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
"Always went by" because the narrative and other characters call him the same. Blau's just another nickname, according to the wiki it means "blue" in German. Anyway, this is pretty off-topic, so let's stop.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
The only way that someone new will be used to re-dub parts that were already dubbed by a different VA is when the franchise is getting a facelift (usually in the shape of digital remasters and such), and the studio gets a chance (read: budget) to provide a "performance continuity." (see: the role of Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.) Otherwise, as noted in the column, it's too much of a hassle.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
"Always went by" because the narrative and other characters call him the same. Blau's just another nickname, according to the wiki it means "blue" in German. Anyway, this is pretty off-topic, so let's stop.

I doubt you can find a single book where Touma isn't called the 'spikey haired boy'. Doesn't make it a name. Blau could be a nickname, but what it means in German doesn't mean it can't be his name. I mean Lightning's real name is spoiler[the French word for lightning]. You could make an argument both are nicknames, but it definitely isn't his name where as Blau could be.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
My question is if you buy, stream with ads, etc, any of the series he was in new the dub of, will he get some type of residuals?

Pretty sure dub actors get payed their rate for however many hours they record and then that's the end of it. They don't get anymore money unless they have to be pulled back in to record extra lines for whatever reason. If Highschool DxD started selling like crazy right now, Scott Freeman, or any other dub actor in the series, don't get payed anything.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
You know some years back there was the case with Lostprophets vocalist. I enjoy some of Lostprophets' songs and Ian Watkins' conviction didn't affect my enjoyment of their music at all. Now I don't care much for dubs, individual VAs or Scott Freeman, but were I to someday watch a dubbed anime that featured Freeman I honestly wouldn't care at all about his real-life situation. All I care about is the performance. The performance is seperate from the real person. Whatever bad things a person does shouldn't defile their work (unless they are actually related to the work or the making of it).

I've been thinking about it the wrong way. Looking back it was a stupid comment on my part. I guess I really have no room to talk since I still own Michiko to Hatchin...and I also got a bunch of ADV titles with Illich Gaurdiola.

Honestly I do not know what to think when it comes to films by people like Roman Polanski or Woody Allen. If a work shows traits or self-inserts of that person (i.e. Midnight in Paris, Annie Hall, etc) it can be difficult to sit through. But then there are films like Macbeth or Chinatown which I suppose aren't at all depictions of how a director is in real life.

Its more or less Hollywood continuing to praise and hold these directors in high regard while basically whitewashing their crimes that bothers me the most.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:

I believe Justin pointed out in a previous "Answerman" that Texas is a "Right to Work" state while California and New York have Actor Unions so unless Freeman is a member of an Actor Union and recorded work in those states, he was only paid once for his time recording when Funimation booked him.

I do not believe he will be able to return to voice acting because of two reasons: 1. Funimation sometimes brings in child actors locally for parts and usually, registered offenders are required not to be anywhere where children could come in at all times. Even when there isn't any minors around, he couldn't be employed.

2. Actors are sometimes needed to help promote a show at a convention by appearing at a panel and doing signing sessions. I believe some conventions have been adopting policies that they will not allow anyone (guest or attendee) who is a registered offender to receive admission into the convention. (which makes me wonder if they offer admission to be purchased on the weekend of the convention and if so, do they have the resources to check state id/driver's licenses against databases.)

Part of me thought that this question was unnecessary but at the same time, the question was needed for other reasons. The point that Justin made about actors moving away as a reason reminded me that D.C. Douglas mentioned at a panel that one of the reasons he was cast as Albert Wesker was because one of the actors for that character had moved on from acting. So replacing a voice actor with a new one isn't bad, it just maybe they are not available anymore.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:
The point that Justin made about actors moving away as a reason reminded me that D.C. Douglas mentioned at a panel that one of the reasons he was cast as Albert Wesker was because one of the actors for that character had moved on from acting. So replacing a voice actor with a new one isn't bad, it just maybe they are not available anymore.

This is how Crispin Freeman got his start with voice acting. CPM lost contact with the original actor for Zelgadis in Slayers, so they hired him.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
since redubbing is out of the question i honestly hope future re releases of both seasons of hxh are sub only, we don't need future generations of anime fans hearing the voice of a effing pedo as the main character.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
As far as voice actors being replaced for non-criminal reasons: There's the voice actors for Kagome and Sesshoumaru from Inuyasha, both of which were replaced for the Final series dub. And then there's Jessica Calvello being replaced for the role of Excel for medical reasons. Those are the ones at the top of my head.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6