• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Muv-Luv Visual Novel Localization Kickstarter Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:51 am Reply with quote
As someone familiar with age but has not played their games, is there a reason that the character art declined so much from Kiminozo to Muv-Luv? Typically art for a studio gets better as years go on, but from my outsider's perspective, Muv-Luv's character art is a definite regression of its precursor.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Sume Gai wrote:
Yeah, Extra is the real bar to any anime adaptation. Important as it is to Muv-Luv in context, It would be pretty bland to watch. Though seeing Meiya's ending fully animated would be amazing.

I wonder if they could mash Sumika's and Meiya's endings together. I don't remember the VN that well, but I remember that those two routes were mostly similar. A theoretical anime would probably adapt the Sumika ending though (A Meiya ending OVA would be extremely neat). They'll probably ignore all of the other routes. While I've heard that they have foreshadowing for events in Alternative, they aren't that necessary.

Unlimited's endings are all mostly indistinguishable from each other, so at least it doesn't have that issue.

As for Alternative, I'm not even sure that 26 episodes would be enough for that monster of a VN.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:

I wonder if they could mash Sumika's and Meiya's endings together. I don't remember the VN that well, but I remember that those two routes were mostly similar. A theoretical anime would probably adapt the Sumika ending though (A Meiya ending OVA would be extremely neat). They'll probably ignore all of the other routes. While I've heard that they have foreshadowing for events in Alternative, they aren't that necessary.

Sumika's "route" is basically "forget Meiya, now let's go have sex". Meiya's route splits like 5 lines before Sumika sexytimes start and then resolves the Meiya situation that exists in both routes. Basically, just adapting Sumika's route makes for a bad ending in a linear anime. Maybe they could do the Meiya route but rewrite it so that he either chooses Sumika or remains inconclusive on the romantic front.

From my view, the biggest problem with adapting Muv-Luv to anime is needing to do Extra at all. They can't just skip it, but it's nobody's reason for loving the franchise and a lot of people will just see it as something to slog through or cause non-VN fans to just drop it. Best thing to do is probably rush through Extra as quickly as possible and put a lot of the non-essential content in OVAs or specials. Another possibility is to put some of it in Unlimited as flashbacks or something. Either way, I think rather than making Extra and Unlimited separate 12 episode series, I'd make them one 24-26 episode show and start Unlimited around episode 6-8 or whatever gives Unlimited the best amount of episodes to work with.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
[quote="HitokiriShadow"]
encrypted12345 wrote:
From my view, the biggest problem with adapting Muv-Luv to anime is needing to do Extra at all. They can't just skip it, but it's nobody's reason for loving the franchise and a lot of people will just see it as something to slog through or cause non-VN fans to just drop it. Best thing to do is probably rush through Extra as quickly as possible and put a lot of the non-essential content in OVAs or specials.

It's possible a really clever writer could find a way to make Extra not be a slog, like to radically rework the whole thing so we start with Takeru already time-looping, so we basically get Extra, Unlimited, and Alternative all at once, Baccano!-style. That's desperate, obviously, but Muv-Luv is inherently a tough nut to crack.

To me, the payoff of the VN comes from spending all that time in Extra, defining exactly who Takeru is (a harmless goofball), only to have to remake him entirely in Unlimited, and then tear him to shreds in Alternative. The value of Extra is to really experience life in Takeru's shoes before things get going. But you're still stuck with that scenario of having to tell people "after 30 hours, it gets really good!"
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

It's possible a really clever writer could find a way to make Extra not be a slog, like to radically rework the whole thing so we start with Takeru already time-looping, so we basically get Extra, Unlimited, and Alternative all at once, Baccano!-style. That's desperate, obviously, but Muv-Luv is inherently a tough nut to crack.

I've toyed around with some other ideas, like alternating between Extra and Unlimited from the start or maybe even using a bit of something from Alternative in the first episode as an in-media-res hook and then going "okay, let's back up a bit, it's a long story how things got to here" or something like that. However, alternating between Extra and Unlimited, whatever method, works because they are distinctly different settings (and thus it would be very easy to follow scene changes and chronology) and there really isn't anything you really need to see for plot/characterization reasons before starting Unlimited (I might be forgetting some things, but most of what you need Extra for plot-wise is for Alternative and anything that might be necessary or helpful for Unlimited just needs to be shown before it comes up in Unlimited). However, Alternative is built on everything that happened in Unlimited, so there are major problems just jumping to it and filling in stuff Unlimited at the same time. Furthermore, jumping between Unlimited and Alternative is vastly more confusing since it's the same characters in the same setting, spoiler[sometimes doing the same things, just a bit differently because Takeru has already done it before]. Alternating between those two alone would be extremely challenging at best and with very limited benefits that are heavily outweighed by the negatives, and adding Extra on top of that would just be an absolute mess. I don't think any amount of talent could make that work and even if someone could make it reach "not completely disastrous", it certainly wouldn't be better than doing Unlimited > Alternative linearly.

I don't think Muv-Luv is "inherently a tough nut to crack" in terms of adapting. Clannad and F/SN have bigger issues in trying to translate stories that are designed around VN route systems into linear stories. Muv-Luv's story is basically completely linear, and it doesn't have any real narrative/medium change issues (like, say, a story doing something that works in a novel because you can't see anything the narrator doesn't describe but becomes a problem when it has to be visualized) other than just needing to condense things for time like most novel/VN adaptations. The issue is more of a... logistical one, I guess, in that it needs a lot of episodes to cover the story and the first chunk of it so drastically different than the rest. It would be easy to adapt it in 50 or so episodes, but it's a huge financial risk so getting people on board to fund the adaptation is the big stumbling block. If the story could be reasonably adapted in two cour, it probably would have been done a long time ago. I'm also guessing the creator is refusing to allow a partial adaptation (i.e. "we'll fund Extra and then decide if anything else gets animated based on sales"), otherwise, again, this almost certainly would have happened a long time ago.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
As someone familiar with age but has not played their games, is there a reason that the character art declined so much from Kiminozo to Muv-Luv? Typically art for a studio gets better as years go on, but from my outsider's perspective, Muv-Luv's character art is a definite regression of its precursor.

The short answer is because the version of Kiminozo you're used to seeing came out after Muv-Luv. Still that one didn't fix all the anatomy problems of the original but just the faces and isn't really objectively superiour in terms of art quality. The "controversial" nature of Muv-Luv's character designs is generally held to have something to do with the intentionally cliche nature of Extra. Returning characters generally look much better in Muv-Luv than they did originally.

The other thing is that after age's first few games the founding member that did the art in Kimi ga Ita Kisetsu and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien got "promoted" into primarily management. There was a brief period in 2012-2013 where he took a heavy art load on again after the firing of Sou Miyata for plagiarism but they have a couple new staff artists now. One of the problems with the idea of adding new art for this Kickstarter version of Muv-Luv is that Bou—the original artist for Muv-Luv—has only done a handful of illustrations for age in the last several years and has had a very obvious change in his art style since the original game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3