• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online II Blu-Ray 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The same goes for Sinon: Kirito's getting all chummy with her, hanging out in caves and checking out her ass, she's getting repeatedly flustered by him and spending a bunch of time thinking about him, and he never happens to mention that his girlfriend was also in this "death game" dealing with the same survivors' guilt he was. This is information that is consciously withheld: either by Kirito the character himself to maybe play the field a little, or by the writers to string along the usual bull**** harem fantasies. Neither option is particularly flattering.

I never saw Kirito and Sinon as more than friends. I didn't think it was necessary for him to tell her about Asuna. In fact, he didn't tell her anything about his personal life that wasn't related to the games. They partnered in the game to survive, it's not like they were dating.

And "oh no, he looked at her BUTT ONCE!" Lol, he's still a teenaged guy...is it really that big of a deal? Teenaged guys look at butts. I'm sure even teenaged guys with girlfriends still look at other butts.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
It's true that melee weapons have existed as long as FPS games have (yes GrayArchon, I've been around the gaming block before), but outside of rare gimmick weapons or dedicated sub-classes like Team Fortress 2's Demoknight, they're usually a last-ditch backup. If you have to resort to using one in serious play, you've probably done something wrong. Kirito's beam sword appears to be just what it says on the tin, and any FPS player worth their salt wielding a hitscan weapon should be more than capable of dealing with such a basic attack, especially with how wide-open GGO's environments appear to be. The only way Kirito succeeds is by going into his magical Kirito god mode. Remember the cowboy training dummy he beat literally minutes after starting to play the game? The one that no one else could even get close to? Yeah, something's broken here.

I think it's worth mentioning that Splatoon, though a third-person shooter, has a huge number of people wielding melee-range weapons (rollers, paintbrushes, and arguably the Sploosh-o-Matic, an automatic with an absurdly short range). This is a highly atypical case though, as the goal in its multiplayer modes is not kills, Splatoon is not a hitscan game (I think "hitscan" refers to the game calculating the ammunition as if it has infinite speed and executing actions like so--do I have the definition right?) and the game's structure makes it extremely easy to flank and ambush, such that some of the most effective weapons in the game are melee-range.

Looking at Splatoon as an example for me, I had the impression that the beam sword in Gun Gale Online gave Kirito unique but difficult-to-utilize effects or advantages and that he wasn't simply a Jedi in a game full of Stormtroopers. A theoretical designer for Gun Gale Online, unless they don't care one smidgen about game balance, SHOULD give the beam sword some advantages to encourage players to use it for reasons other than prior experience with a sword-based World Seed MMO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3