• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fans Report English Subtitle Issues for Attack on Titan Live-Action Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AtoMan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Dubs of anime are one thing but I don't understand how anyone would want to watch a dub of a live action film.

So you can enjoy watching the movie without having to read everything and having the sub titles clutter up the screen.

This. Also those Murricans not realizing that live action dubbing is actually a thing... And IIRC it predates animation dubbing.

Haven't you guys seen those videos with Vin Diesel recording his Groot lines in several languages?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Dubs of anime are one thing but I don't understand how anyone would want to watch a dub of a live action film.

Also those Murricans not realizing that live action dubbing is actually a thing... And IIRC it predates animation dubbing.

This is somewhat ironic given that the US releases of the Death Note and Mushishi live action movies were dubbed (in the UK they were sub-only).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AtoMan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
Saw the Death Note trailer sometime ago and sounded like high quality dubbing, unlike some US-dubbed anime. This could work, really.
IG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
[quote="relyat08"]
DisneyLM wrote:
Wouldn't be a problem if it was
This is Live-Action though... I don't know anyone who wants to go see an English dub of a live-action foreign film. If anything, I think they would probably lose more people. My friends and I wouldn't have tickets to go see it if it was dubbed, that's for sure.

Quote:
It's the Casual Market that will always go for Dubs if it's going to get there attention have have there Parents sit through the movie like with Disney Films. Who in America would see a Disney Film Non-English?

A movie like this would never get the attention of casual fans, to begin with. And this isn't a children's movie at all. Who the hell would take their kid to see this is in the theater?

right. Almost everyone in the country! American's can do it just as easily, and in my experience, if they are interested in a foreign film, they will.
But Viz dubbed live action movies of Death Note. There's a lot foreing live action films that get englished dubs as well.There also lot of American films,that get foreign dubbed and released that way. Dub is more appealing to people, who are not fans to the franchise to the begin with. So I think ed this should just been English dubbed
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
IG wrote:
But Viz dubbed live action movies of Death Note. There's a lot foreing live action films that get englished dubs as well.There also lot of American films,that get foreign dubbed and released that way. Dub is more appealing to people, who are not fans to the franchise to the begin with. So I think ed this should just been English dubbed

I'm not saying it's unheard of, but in my experience, a pretty good chunk of Hollywood films that make it to international theaters, are going to do so with subtitles over the English dub.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but for someone who seems super into English dubs, your English is not very good...
IG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:59 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
IG wrote:

I'm not saying it's unheard of, but in my experience, a pretty good chunk of Hollywood films that make it to international theaters, are going to do so with subtitles over the English dub.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but for someone who seems super into English dubs, your English is not very good...

I'm sorry for my grammar, I know I need to worked on it..In my experience ,especially with my family . There more likely to watch a foreign film dubbed,than subtitle.What I experience people are more likely to watch a film dubbed in there language than to watch it subtitle in another language.I'm American by the way,born and raised here . I just need to learn Grammar better.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
IG wrote:

I'm sorry for my grammar, I know I need to worked on it..In my experience ,especially with my family . There more likely to watch a foreign film dubbed,than subtitle.What I experience people are more likely to watch a film dubbed in there language than to watch it subtitle in another language.I'm American by the way,born and raised here . I just need to learn Grammar better.

Laughing It's not a big deal. You're fine. I was just curious.
I get what you're saying. I definitely think that is true for animated works, because most of my friends, as well as myself started out with Dubbed works. I don't think it translates very well to live-action, but to each their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3