• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Unsympathetic Illustration of Refugee Sparks Uproar in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with the illustrator, Toshiko Hasumi. Still, this is a pretty hot political issue and I'm a bit surprised that ANN would be inviting comment about it.

At any rate, if it were my country, I'd want my government to keep out all of the invaders. Probably won't happen as there are people who can make some serious political hay over this issue.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, some of them read as an open invitation to go full Godwin without a hint of irony.

RestLessone wrote:
Saffire wrote:
I knew better. I knew better than to read the comments, and yet...here i am, increasingly sad at humanity.

Y'know, I honestly, honestly thought the comments would be better than they are.

Reading these has been uncomfortable.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I don't know this artist from Adam, but I do know that she's a total asshole.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry, Toshiko Hasumi. If you feel the need to seek asylum from Japanese commenters, it looks like ANN readers will support you.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Xenophobia: still a thing, apparently.

While I don't disagree with that, it doesn't mean there isn't a valid point. There are absolutely instances of 'refugees' not wanting to stay in a perfectly safe country and aiming for germany / sweeden because of the better benefits. At that point the person is an economic migrant and it is dishonest to pretend they are a refugee to exploit further financial assistance.

I have absolutely no idea what percentage of them are legitimate refugees versus economic migrants, and I think it would be incredibly difficult to get a real number. I'd like to think it is a small minority. However, the issue should be looked into because it is a legitimate concern. Germany and Sweeden are being overwhelmed by refugees. Germany is cramming them into school gyms and tent camps. If part of this strain is coming from people who aren't really refugees, that is a problem for all of the legitimate refugees as well as the people of the host country.

Though I do think that this illustration is a pretty low blow because it is essentially equating it to a little kid saying something like 'I wanna be a doctor when i grow up' which makes light of what is a serious and real problem.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Is this some kind of neo-nazi central? I thought I was browsing ANN.

As for article itself, well, what do you expect from Japanese right-wing? Delusional people who still believe that they can restore japanese supremacy in Asia, people who willing to go to war with China, people who refuse to accept war crimes.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The thing is the negative Japanese reaction to this isn't about people disagreeing with her so much as Japanese people being embarrassed that she would so outwardly express an opinion that I highly suspect a majority of the Japanese people hold.
How many of those Japanese people who want her to remove it are offering to take in refugees here in Japan, then? Anybody?

This is rooted very very deep. Japan is one of the nations with the lowest amount of charitable giving of any country in the world (119th, I think it was?) Lack of sympathy towards refugees is just another aspect of it.
You can trace it all the way back to a lack of Christian morality teaching probably.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Well this poster ,Gets Donald Trumps Seal of Approval.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, do we really have to start with making generalizations about Japan too?

Incidentally, there's a whole lot of conservative people who identify as Christian that are also very much against many of these charity related issues, such as helping illegal immigrants or the migrants, increasing money spent on welfare and so forth. Enough I think to disprove your supposition that Christianity has something to do with it.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The thing is the negative Japanese reaction to this isn't about people disagreeing with her so much as Japanese people being embarrassed that she would so outwardly express an opinion that I highly suspect a majority of the Japanese people hold.
How many of those Japanese people who want her to remove it are offering to take in refugees here in Japan, then? Anybody?

This is rooted very very deep. Japan is one of the nations with the lowest amount of charitable giving of any country in the world (119th, I think it was?) Lack of sympathy towards refugees is just another aspect of it.
You can trace it all the way back to a lack of Christian morality teaching probably.

Eh, just how many people do you think can host refugees in their homes?Most people are just middle-class, you know?

And about morality... Germany and Sweden, countries that are keen on receiving refugees, are largely Irreligious... Meanwhile, many Christians in America think Muslims are the Untermench.

God damn 9/11. Not only was it a terrible day for the world, it also brought us nothing but trouble afterwards.

PS: Agreed with comment above.

Last edited by Hellsoldier on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gilarack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Xenophobia: still a thing, apparently.

This.

I am very disappointed by the shocking bulk of paranoia in this forum too. Where is this coming from? I am from Germany and so far the refugee situation has not negatively effected my life in any way or form and I don't expect it to, but I hope it made it a whole lot better for all the people in need.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Okay, this has to be a joke on your part. Surely you aren't that fundamentalist.

SouthPacific wrote:
The real refugees are still down there in the mud. The people who are arriving in Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, UK etc, are crossing multiple safe European nations without applying for asylum there. They are not refugees, they're economic migrants.

Precisely. If you have the luxury of picking which peaceful country to move to then you aren't a refugee who is desperate to make it to safety, you're a discerning migrant who is simply looking for the nicest place to settle down.

There are women and children still stuck in warzones or living in the squalor of UN refugee camps. They should be the ones who get preferential treatment as to refugee applications. Not healthy young rich* men* who queue jump by paying people smugglers to get them into the Western nation of their choosing.

If you don't think they are/were rich, then note that we're not talking absolute wealth but relative wealth. You try and come up with a lump sum of cash several times the average yearly salary of your country. Not so easy, is it? Oh, and you can't sell your house because who wants to move into a warzone?

The media focus on the women and children because it makes good T.V., but the reality is that seventy-five percent of the "refugees" in Europe are working-aged men who could quite easily be fighting Assad and/or IS. But sponging off Western European social welfare systems is so much easier.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

That isn't really fair nor are you onto anything with your religion comment. In terms of foreign aid, Japan was 5th in 2012 (http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-doners-of-foreigner-aid-map.html) it is pretty much on the level of comparable Christian majority nations. That is really closer to the kind of statistic you should be looking at because it is about helping people aside from citizens of your country.

I'm guessing you're talking about the World Giving Index which isn't actually based on how much anyone gave. France is also basically right there with Japan.

The whole christian morality reasoning is a load of crap.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Is this some kind of neo-nazi central? I thought I was browsing ANN.

Fascism is the political manifestation of the same analytical approach that gets you comic-book-guy nerdery in literature.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I can understand being wary about the influx of refugees into your country and being worried about the negative effects but this illustration and the accompanying text is really shitty. I mean painting out all refugees fleeing danger and violence in their country as only being opportunistic con-artists is just really damn low.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6