• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Vampires That Don't Suck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
@jr0904

I am not sure which of us is confused, but I was talking about adding the character from Bleach to the poll for doctors, not the list of vampires.
I did not even know that Bleach had any vampires.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Was the suck supposed to be a pun or not, ie are these supposed to be vampires that don't drink blood or just cool vampires, because Hazuki and Mooka drink blood. The rest of those listed as far as I remember don't really drink blood.

If its just vampires that are cool characters than yeah, Alucard should probably be at the top.

See this:
Quote:
This week's list looks at vampires you wouldn't mind inviting in through the window at 3 a.m.

Really don't think Alucard is the kind of guy you'd want to be doing that with. Same with a lot of the other alternative choices that people have been trying to bring up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Was the suck supposed to be a pun or not, ie are these supposed to be vampires that don't drink blood or just cool vampires, because Hazuki and Mooka drink blood. The rest of those listed as far as I remember don't really drink blood.

If its just vampires that are cool characters than yeah, Alucard should probably be at the top.

I thought it was about vampires that won't drink blood too, but that only proved to be true in Karin's case. Instead, I can only draw the conclusion that we're talking about benevolent vampires -- in that they do drink blood, but they're not influencing anyone in a negative way. Hell, in Karin's case (the whole thing, not just the character), the Marker family's little snacks actually mostly have positive effects, as they basically remove various negative effects on a human being; stress, sadness, loneliness, insincerity and so on. (It's the same with Hazuki from Moon Phase -- she only wants to drink from Kouhei because he's in a position where he doesn't automatically become his familiar slave when she does. (Her alternate personality, Luna, tried making him her slave, but that apparently failed.)
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
About the new survey for which Doctor do you not trust to perform your surgery, why is tralfalgar law on the list!? He is the best doctor in anime when it comes to an operation.

That was probably a write-in answer from someone who didn't read the question.

But my big surprise was to see Dr. Tenma from Monster on the list. I can't tell if that was a write-in answer either. Someone must not have read the question right, because Tenma is one of the best anime doctors ever.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

See this:
Quote:
This week's list looks at vampires you wouldn't mind inviting in through the window at 3 a.m.

Really don't think Alucard is the kind of guy you'd want to be doing that with. Same with a lot of the other alternative choices that people have been trying to bring up.

Was just going to say this to those complaining about there being no D or Alucard on the list. They kick ass, take names, and in D's case look pretty. They don't do the whole tea and small talk thing. If you're seeing either of them, or say Abel from Trinity Blood, coming through your window at 3am I doubt you'd be happy. Shit would be about to get real more than likely. You'd be about to get dead more than likely.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'd certainly invite Abel Nightroad in at 3 am, and he could stay till noon. Smile While I'd have nothing to fear from D, I think he'd only be invited in if I was suffering from insomnia and needed to be bored to sleep, since he'd just sit there brooding silently at me all night.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
About the new survey for which Doctor do you not trust to perform your surgery, why is tralfalgar law on the list!? He is the best doctor in anime when it comes to an operation.

Yeah, and the same goes for Chopper, and Dr. Tenma, and Black Jack...methinks some people missed the whole "never" part of the poll. Razz
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised somebody else has seen Renkin 3-kyuu Magical? Pokahn. There's a show that was tragically underappreciated. I always felt like the fanservice might have unnecessarily turned some people away from it, when where the show really shined was its absurd sense of humor.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
If it wasn't clear enough, the list was supposed to be vampires that won't, under almost any circumstances, eat you. So they aren't particularly "dangerous" or scary, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was quite clearly a list of vampires who are not traditionally horrifying, bloodthirsty monsters and don't go around causing terror on an everyday basis, but maybe the article writer operates on an obscure frequency you can only tune into if you set your dial exactly right.

EDIT: octopodpie clarified while this post was half-written. Teach me not to refresh the thread prior to posting.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
But Moka drinks from Tsukune all the time. And she cannot even bring herself to stop herself from doing it. spoiler[Even after he became a full vampire at the end of the manga, she still sucks on him]. Actually, Moka is the only vampire I have seen sucking blood in the entire series. Neither of her sisters nor the rest of her family actually suck blood on-screen at all. Kokoa licked a little bit from Tsukune, but that's it.

Though, the point of the list was that she's portrayed as a sympathetic vampire. Yes, that's true for both.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I never knew that Blood Lad had an anime. Trolling through Batoto was how I found out about the manga and at that point in time, I thought it was pretty niche since I never heard of it. To think that it actually had an anime is incredibly bizarre to me.

Since I just heard of it, should I watch the Blood Lad anime?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
For the poll, it was kinda hard, seeing as I'd actually trust doctors like Black Jack and Chopper.

But Tucker? Shou Tucker? Yeah, that guy can go eff himself.

The problem is that Shou Tucker isn't a doctor. He's a scientist. Even can be (should be) called a mad scientist. But there is nothing that I can recall from the series that actually qualified him as a doctor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
For the new poll, I chose Shou Tucker, because even if he isn't necessarily the least reliable, he's the one towards whom I feel the most animosity. He can go eff right off.

For the last poll... should Ushio and Tora even be on it? It didn't end this month....
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
I would probably add to the vampire list an oft-forgotten good MALE vampire, Tatsuhiko Shido from Nightwalker: Midnight Detective.

I don't think Dr. Jackal from GetBackers was in any way a real doctor(so far as what I've seen of the series) so I would never trust him to perform my surgery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5