• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Annie Award Nominations Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
tempest:
Quote:
I just spoke to Antran Manoogian, president of ASIFA Hollywood, and he wanted Paprika to be a part of the Annies. But their policy is that films must be submitted by their producers, and that didn't happen.

Well the last time a Kon film was submitted, it lost, so I don't blame the producer on that decision. Hopefully, after that new round of lay-offs at Disney, things will change at the Annies. Too many stuck up guilds who look the other way at cartoons made in Japan, but not American animated films and shows made in Korea. Rolling Eyes

Pinecone: I assume you agreed with that "Cartoon Wars" episode on South Park. Wink
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Sometimes I'm ashamed to be an anime fan. Times like these when I read threads so full of bile, hate, bias and whining.

No joke, I agree. It's hard to gripe about anime not being nominated when it sounds like the directors never bothered to submit. If they don't care, why should we? My enjoyment of anime has nothing to do with awards or anything but my own individual entertainment.

good points,I was spewing bile about Family Guy and I still can't say Seth's name without a curse, policy states I never apologize and this list still serves as a stark reminder of everything wrong with the American animation scene right now: heartless comedy's done by amateurs (FG) and a million stupid CG animal movies. i am no Japan fanboy, but japan is the only one making anything worthwhile now.

still, i do agree it's funimation and sony's fault for not registering there stuff, i'd say there level of respect for the annies are about where mine are: non existent.

fawhoooosh!
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
From Variety:

Quote:
It's not the glut of animated pics but the glut of animated pics about wise-cracking animals that caused the downturn in average box office for toons this year, Jeffrey Katzenberg said at the UBS media confab in New York on Tuesday...Exec said he thinks his studio's future releases will stand out more from the competition. Studio has two "Shrek" sequels, a "Madagascar" sequel and four original pics in the works for the next 3½ years. Katzenberg seemed particularly excited about 2008's Jack Black starrer "Kung Fu Panda," noting that interest in merchandise licenses is already high.

:roll:
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
good points,I was spewing bile about Family Guy and I still can't say Seth's name without a curse, policy states I never apologize and this list still serves as a stark reminder of everything wrong with the American animation scene right now: heartless comedy's done by amateurs (FG) and a million stupid CG animal movies. i am no Japan fanboy, but japan is the only one making anything worthwhile now.

still, i do agree it's funimation and sony's fault for not registering there stuff, i'd say there level of respect for the annies are about where mine are: non existent.

Everything wrong with American animation? To who? To you? Hate to break it to you but just because American animation doesn't cater specifically to your tastes doesn't mean there's everything wrong with it. You know, I could easily pick apart anime as well and start to talk about how everything is wrong with anime but I have a bit more class than that.

And I'm sorry, those heartless comedies are done by amateurs? They're anything but amateurs, matter of fact most domestic animation is higher quality than most anime, just because you aren't fond of the subject matter doesn't make the people who create it amateurs. There's a difference between opinion and fact, you're coming across with your opinions as though they are fact, the numbers in sales and what not obviously disagree. Besides, if a person looks at something and can find nothing good about it, then I maintain that they must be bias, because no matter how much you might despise a medium it is highly unlikely you will hate it all without some degree of bias.

You hate the annies, obviously, and good for you but honestly it seems to me it's for all the wrong reasons, and completely self-righteous ones at that. Frankly, until the anime awards being held soon present some domestic titles I'm not going to lose much sleep over a lack of anime in the annie's, because it seems pretty even.

Quote:
fawhoooosh!

That's why you don't light a match in the bathroom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
This is a long one folks, HIT THE DECK!

Keonyn wrote:
You know, I could easily pick apart anime as well and start to talk about how everything is wrong with anime but I have a bit more class than that.

As could I, but it's an anime forum and Naruto fans would burn crosses in my yard.

Quote:
And I'm sorry, those heartless comedies are done by amateurs? They're anything but amateurs,

Let me correct myself.

Family Guy is done by amateurs, little if any talent resides on that show writing, art and voice wise. I mentioned no other comedy and meant Family Guy specifically.

Quote:
just because you aren't fond of the subject matter doesn't make the people who create it amateurs.

I dislike Family Guy greatly because it is largely produced by amateurs.

However I suppose your right that I hate the subject matter of 3-D cartoons, in the last year with few exceptions they are all the same subject matter and I think we can agree this is a grounds for complaints.

Quote:
There's a difference between opinion and fact, you're coming across with your opinions as though they are fact

this is just how I roll.
Quote:
the numbers in sales and what not obviously disagree.

So?

Fergie made no 2 on iTunes. Popularity=/=Quality by any means.
Quote:
Besides, if a person looks at something and can find nothing good about it, then I maintain that they must be bias

The only bias I have is a love of skilled people working in the business, and seeing it destroyed by 'writers' who can't draw and aren't funny is painful. Why is it being rewarded?

Sorry, but I find nothing at all redeeming about Family Guy. Please enlighten me on a good quality, should it exist.
Quote:
because no matter how much you might despise a medium it is highly unlikely you will hate it all without some degree of bias.

I love cartoons and animation which is why I hate seeing generic,mediocre,and--in FG's case--downright awful stuff being rewarded.

Quote:
I'm not going to lose much sleep over a lack of anime in the annie's, because it seems pretty even.

Me either, but I should get used to skilled stuff being out there but no one knowing about it and crap being rewarded.

What gets me is that John K's vid for 'No Cigar" didn't make it, but Bill Plymton's vid did. I suppose this is really where I am bias, as an unbashful John K fanboy. Nothing against Bill, but he isn't much of an animator IMO, he should do comics or paintings.
Quote:
fawhoooosh!
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Seth McFarlane can draw better than I can, I mean I draw like this. *weeps because she can't draw men*

Um… I don't see a lot of American animation, but I think your picture looks ten times better than the Family Guy sample posted. ^-^
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quote
Aww thanks Anime smile but at least family guy can do more poses than I can... I have a hard time drawing at anything other than head on poses or side views, I can't do 3 1/4 poses or give my drawings much realistic movement unless I'm drawing from a reference image.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Aww thanks Anime smile but at least family guy can do more poses than I can... I have a hard time drawing at anything other than head on poses or side views, I can't do 3 1/4 poses or give my drawings much realistic movement unless I'm drawing from a reference image.

Hmmm, well, I'd rather watch a slide show of stills like that than watch an episode of those Family Guy characters, then. They're scary enough standing still – I don't even want to imagine them moving. o_olll
sandra monte

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
Well... The Annie´s a previous of Oscar...
Thus... will not have animes in the Oscar. This is one of the worse years in indications of animations. The titles are very weak...

Sandra Monte
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Wasn't really that long.

Quote:
As could I, but it's an anime forum and Naruto fans would burn crosses in my yard.

Naruto is just the tip of the iceberg.

Quote:
Family Guy is done by amateurs, little if any talent resides on that show writing, art and voice wise. I mentioned no other comedy and meant Family Guy specifically.

I doubt it, the art is done in a comic style, it's not meant to be super realistic or amazing, anyone who thinks it should be is missing the point. Writing and voice wise though? Sorry, but that just makes me laugh. They're no Shakespeare, but amateurs? I think not.

Quote:
I dislike Family Guy greatly because it is largely produced by amateurs.

You're going to have to go a little deeper than that. They're amateurs? Says who? You? That doesn't make it so, that's just an opinion.

Quote:
this is just how I roll.

Yeah, well it's not going to roll you very far.

Quote:
So?

Fergie made no 2 on iTunes. Popularity=/=Quality by any means.

No, it doesn't, but it does indicate a discrepancy and the fact that there's many people that disagree with you. Doesn't mean they're right, but so far you've provided nothing to back yourself up aside from conjecture and opinion. And the opinions have been little more than "it sucks" and "they're amateurs".

Quote:
The only bias I have is a love of skilled people working in the business, and seeing it destroyed by 'writers' who can't draw and aren't funny is painful. Why is it being rewarded?

Sorry, but I find nothing at all redeeming about Family Guy. Please enlighten me on a good quality, should it exist.

Which is bias, because not only have you stated the US can not produce anything of quality, and if you can't find a thing then it's unlikely you're objective. On top of that you're basing this all on nothing more than your own opinion, assuming that if you think something isn't good then it can't be good and that somehow your opinion is the standard in which all animation in this world should be judged.

I'd be happy to enlighten you on Family Guy's qualities if I thought it would do any good. Since you obviously hate the show, the art, the writing, the style, the acting it's obvious that there's no aspect of the show you already don't have some irrational disgust towards so there's no aspect of the show worth mentioning. That and I really just don't care about your opinion, sorry.

Quote:
I love cartoons and animation which is why I hate seeing generic,mediocre,and--in FG's case--downright awful stuff being rewarded.

If you truly loved it you would respect the differences and diversity of the genre instead of whining and demanding it be redone to fit your view specifically.

Quote:
Me either, but I should get used to skilled stuff being out there but no one knowing about it and crap being rewarded.

What gets me is that John K's vid for 'No Cigar" didn't make it, but Bill Plymton's vid did. I suppose this is really where I am bias, as an unbashful John K fanboy. Nothing against Bill, but he isn't much of an animator IMO, he should do comics or paintings.

Crap to who though? It's still to you. I don't always agree with rewards either, or reviews or whatever, but you know what? I accept the fact that my opinions don't always reflect everyone elses and deal with it.

As for John K and Plimpton, you might be right, but did John K even submit it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:

Keonyn wrote:
You know, I could easily pick apart anime as well and start to talk about how everything is wrong with anime but I have a bit more class than that.

I can agree with you. Even though I love Family Guy I can admit the animation isn't...isn't. It's pretty bad.

For me I realize that by watching all these Anime shows with the high quality animations and such i'm spoiled. I turn on tv and expect the same thing.

The best thing I get to good animation Avatar and the Boondocks.

American animation just isn't the same. Sure you get movies like Cars, Happy Feet, etc but for the most part its still not the same.

A good example of this is Kappa Mikey. Watch an epsidoe of that and you'll see the differences. (even though its still not the best animation)

I hope this made some sense. I'm feeling a tad dizzy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Grenzer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

I can agree with you. Even though I love Family Guy I can admit the animation isn't...isn't. It's pretty bad.

For me I realize that by watching all these Anime shows with the high quality animations and such i'm spoiled. I turn on tv and expect the same thing.

The best thing I get to good animation Avatar and the Boondocks.

American animation just isn't the same. Sure you get movies like Cars, Happy Feet, etc but for the most part its still not the same.

A good example of this is Kappa Mikey. Watch an epsidoe of that and you'll see the differences. (even though its still not the best animation)

I hope this made some sense. I'm feeling a tad dizzy.

It's not so much Japanese animation you like, it's Japanese art design. The Japanese tend to have more detailed background art and character design, but for the most part their animation is below par compared to American shows. American animation is often so fluid you barely notice it, but the trade off is simplified art and character design that does not owe itself towards more "serious" and "dramatic" stories. One style is not necessarily better then the other, but it does effect animator's decisions on what kind of shows they want to focus on.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Like Grenzer pointed out, with anime you're not really getting high quality animation so much as pretty drawings with moving mouths. Because it's such a highly stylized aesthetic, anime fans don't really notice the poor animation quality of most anime series and focus more on the detail of the drawings. The simplicity of Western character design allows a higher animation-per-frame rate, thus smoother movement. This is a generalization, of course, and there are exceptions in both categories, but the point is this: I'm not saying one style is better than the other; they're just different. Learning how to appreciate different aesthetics, even if some don't appeal to you specifically, is key to developing relevant criticisms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
The simplicity of Western character design allows a higher animation-per-frame rate, thus smoother movement.
Don't forget that most productions in the US and other Western countries tend to have larger per episode budgets. When you combine the simplistic designs with more money, you get the extra effort needed to create those smooth movements and high frame rates, because you can have more people checking it and making it.

While I don't want to fight with Keonyn, I'm going to have to agree with most of what FlamingPinecone wrote in his posts. Personally, I think Family Guy is one of the worst shows ever produced over here. I disagree that the staff are amateurs. They are quite skilled at the type of comedy and animation that they are doing, it just happens that the type of comedy and animation they create is sophomoric at best and downright horrid at worst.

I tried to watch Family Guy back when it first started to air. It seemed a lot like The Simpsons, so I figured it would be pretty good. After forcing myself to watch the entire first season, I realized I only liked Stewie and Brian. They were the only characters I found remotely enjoyable to watch and I found Peter so repulsive as a character that I found myself changing the channel to watch commercials until he was off screen. (That laugh especially irritated me. Perhaps if the character had a different VA, I might be able to like him a little.)

If someone likes this show, I wish you well and I'm happy you can enjoy it. For me, personally, I'd like to see it gone. I just don't think that it's good qualities outweigh it's bad ones.

I'm not biased against it, I simply don't think this particular show is deserving of any awards. It just doesn't compare, in my opinion, to other series both in the US and in other countries.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Don't forget that most productions in the US and other Western countries tend to have larger per episode budgets. When you combine the simplistic designs with more money, you get the extra effort needed to create those smooth movements and high frame rates, because you can have more people checking it and making it.

That's true, but I guess my point was more that Western animations tend to focus more on animation, while anime often focuses more on its illustrative qualities, whatever the reason may be.

Richard J. wrote:
While I don't want to fight with Keonyn, I'm going to have to agree with most of what FlamingPinecone wrote in his posts. Personally, I think Family Guy is one of the worst shows ever produced over here. I disagree that the staff are amateurs. They are quite skilled at the type of comedy and animation that they are doing, it just happens that the type of comedy and animation they create is sophomoric at best and downright horrid at worst.

I'm totally with you there. It's ridiculous how each Family Guy episode disguises itself as three-act structure when it's actually just a collection of sketches compiled by Peter's inane ramblings. Also, I believe the jokes rely too much on simple reference to pop culture, rather than coming up with its own inventive brand of humor. I appreciate the work that goes into the show, and it's definitely not amateur. It simply appeals to a specific audience that I'm not a part of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5