• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are There More American Otaku Than Japanese Otaku?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
i doubt it.

maybe in another 15-20 years with japan low birth rate.. it might be possible..

i'm too poor to be an otaku..
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:35 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I was starting to get the impression that the US market was substantially larger, person to person, than it was in Japan. It's interesting that our sales numbers are that comparable. I wonder what Attack On Titan sold...

I love the fact that no US company would release sales numbers yet there is an answer for sale numbers.

I've had the impression that the US market was larger once physical release companies went for North America online streaming for more growth while Japan is... I'm not sure what they're doing. They're trying to bulk up physical sales with cross-marketing gimmicks? How is that working out?

Quote:
One metric that does seem fair, though, is DVD sales.

Probably for 2005 but this is 2015, last time I've checked. The idea they could be equal is ridiculous for both decades for different reasons.

I'm under the impression US sales are larger as it's my guess to why no NA company would ever want to release a single hard number.

Take those pallets of lost Bandai titles someone found a few years ago; 10,000s of remaindered special editions... well, they're gone now, mostly so I guess a lot of people did take them but outside of the Patlabor movies, it had no effect on the secondary market prices. Kind of wish I bought all those Haruhi sets myself because then I could have sold my OOP set for a profit and had the even rarer broadcast/chronological order combo for a song... and I would have the song CDs as well.

So, is the fanbase bigger or just more voracious? I don't know, I don't even know what the word means but I do know this: Hard buyers are just a fraction of the online viewers these days. A smaller fraction every day even as the DVD numbers don't change?

There are so many legal streaming sites- there may be 700,000 paid subsribers to CR but I'll never be one of them or even one of the millions of registered users of the site- that you can never calculate anything here... but you can always look at Japan's hard sales?

It's a question of " more or less?", not "how many?"
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Kind of wish I bought all those Haruhi sets myself because then I could have sold my OOP set for a profit and had the even rarer broadcast/chronological order combo for a song... and I would have the song CDs as well.

Well, I bought the Japanese Haurhi Suzumiya blu-ray boxed set (with English subs and dubs), bought some song CD's, decided in 2011 to visit Japan and have now visited ten times (although total time spent in Japan is only a couple of months). My anime collection is still small (and I haven't borrowed many videos or watched much streaming anime) and I probably have more music of anime concert videos (e.g. Animelo Summer Live) than anime videos.

Any measure one could come up with to count someone as an otaku would probably fail (total time spent on interests and earning money to pay for them might be an indication but very difficult to measure).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
That distinction between "fringe fans" and otaku isn't an easy one to make. Similarly, live action adaptations of American comic books are a huge business in Hollywood, and yet the comic book publishers are still struggling with the fact that they depend on a smaller "hardcore" audience that is also aging. It isn't hard to find somebody who will say they are a fan of The Dark Knight movies or the Avengers movies, yet sales of the comics don't seem to get a consistent boost.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
There's also the fact that American conventions don't just cater to anime/manga fans. There's also a lot of Marvel, Star Wars, TV show, etc. fans that go to conventions, so it's hard to tell just who is going there for the Japanese side of things or the American side. Some even go there for both.

Are you talking about anime conventions specifically or cons that are pop culture gatherings like Wizard World or Comic-Con? What you described sounds more like the latter two, because the last time I attended an anime con, I didn't see anyone cosplaying as Iron Man or Darth Vader.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greed1914 wrote:
That distinction between "fringe fans" and otaku isn't an easy one to make. Similarly, live action adaptations of American comic books are a huge business in Hollywood, and yet the comic book publishers are still struggling with the fact that they depend on a smaller "hardcore" audience that is also aging. It isn't hard to find somebody who will say they are a fan of The Dark Knight movies or the Avengers movies, yet sales of the comics don't seem to get a consistent boost.

It used to be that any title from Marvel or DC that had sales hovering around the 100K-a-month mark was on the bubble for cancellation. Now if a comic from either breaks the 100K-a-month mark, it's a cause for celebration.

Reasons for this recent trend vary, but current cover prices have a lot to do with it, with most new comics being about $4 to $5 a pop. The average comic book takes about 15-20 minutes to read cover to cover. For about the price of two comic books, one can buy admission to a movie down at the multiplex and be immersed for about 2 hours.

And then there's the speculator market. All these inflated back-issue prices on comics not even a year old (due to variant covers, limited editions, etc.) are alienating the potential comics fan who might be into comics simply for the pleasure of reading. It seems there were no lessons learned from the bust of the mid-90s....

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:

And then there's the speculator market. All these inflated back-issue prices on comics not even a year old (due to variant covers, limited editions, etc.) are alienating the potential comics fan who might be into comics simply for the pleasure of reading. It seems there were no lessons learned from the bust of the mid-90s....

Ok this kind of thing coming back is total news to me, as I haven't seen it.

And with trade-paper-backs collections getting printed coming out quickly, and digital platforms like Comixology becoming the norm, the idea of a new fan having to buy a price-hiked (and only 1 year old!) back-issue is pretty much a thing of the past.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I think that answering the question of where there are more otaku is inherently difficult; to simplify it somewhat, let's change [Otaku] with [Devoted Fan]. How can one -- be it a production company, a marketing firm, a store chain, an individual, etc -- differentiate between [Casual Fans], [Devoted Fans], and [Hardcore Fans]?

(Glossary:
[Casual Fan] = those who occasionally buy a manga volume or couple of home-media discs as a present for someone else, for self-consumption, or any other reason.

[Devoted Fans] = those who'll buy all the manga volumes and/or home-media releases available.

[Hardcore Fans] = [Devoted Fans] + figurines, mouse pads, dakimakura, and any other available peripherals.)

And then there's the whole "who can be considered a fan, and when?" debate.

At the end of the day, one can look at the bottom-line statistics, and try to conjecture based on that, but since there isn't any Central Fandom Bureau, I highly doubt that there ever will be a definitive answer.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
zmx2513 wrote:
Is it just me or are the questions on this panel getting really unintelligent these days?

A couple months ago, he asked for people to send him any questions because he was running out of questions to answer. I guess this was a result of that. Also, there are only so many intelligent questions one can ask that haven't been asked before regarding a very specific topic....anime.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
How would you even define an otaku? Is there a fine line that you cross to become one, and if so, is that line objective or quantifiable? What is the difference between an "otaku" or a regular fan? Never understood that honestly
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
The average Japanese probably has watched more anime in form of manga in his/her lifetime than the average North American anime fan: there are like 30 billion manga in existence in Japan considering about 40 billion manga were sold over the last 20 years. Each manga can and is usually read by several different persons. Hence since there are about 80 million people over 30 in Japan who passed the most intensively reading age, each of these 80 million probably read at least 400 manga volumes, probably much more than that liek over a 1,000 volumes. That's about 4,000 anime episodes since each anime series usually adapted into a manga at the rate 4 episodes per volume. That's equivalent to about 200 late night anime series.

So there are like 100 million otaku in Japan by the American definition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
There's also the fact that American conventions don't just cater to anime/manga fans. There's also a lot of Marvel, Star Wars, TV show, etc. fans that go to conventions, so it's hard to tell just who is going there for the Japanese side of things or the American side. Some even go there for both.

Are you talking about anime conventions specifically or cons that are pop culture gatherings like Wizard World or Comic-Con? What you described sounds more like the latter two, because the last time I attended an anime con, I didn't see anyone cosplaying as Iron Man or Darth Vader.

Non-anime cosplaying is quite common at Sakura con - even though ECCC is two weeks before, and NorWesCon is the same weekend.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:07 am Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
I can definetly, say that there could be more anime fans, in america.

Let`s all take into consideration the size of, America compared to Japan.

China has 20x the population of the UK, but I'm sure you can find demographic statistics where the UK has a higher number... for example there are "ten of millions" of Christians in China (2-4%), but 26 million Anglicans alone in the UK (20%).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Why has no one pointed out that America is a bigger country and therefore has a bigger population, and the higher the count, the more of something you get.

The United States has ~326 million people and Japan has ~128 million people; the difference in total population is actually not that large. It also has to be countered that anime is a domestic phenomenon in Japan and not the US, and you would naïvely expect that a larger fraction of Japanese would consume anime than the US.

Polycell wrote:
Paul Soth wrote:
Until major American cities get their own equivalents of Akihabara, Den-Den Town or even Otome Road... I would have to say no.
There's two major problems with that proposition:

A) The population of Japan is incredibly compressed, to the point where most of it is capable of taking a simple train ride to those places(Honshu's only 88 thousand square miles and has 80% of the population); the US population is incredibly spread out, with the two most populous states each being vastly larger and having less than three quarters the population combined.

A good way to illustrate the size of the US compared to its population: If you take every household in the US and divvied up all the land in Texas between them, you'd get an average size of... 1.39 acres (about the size of a football field). By comparison, the median lot size appears to be about .2-.25 acres.
M. Northstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
This Answerman pretty much boiled down to "I don't know."

Granted, but the thing about Justin's version of the Answerman is that he tells you why he doesn't know, and the things that he does know. In other words, even his I-don't-knows make for interesting reading.

zmx2513 wrote:
Is it just me or are the questions on this panel getting really unintelligent these days?

There is no such thing as a stupid question. That's just a myth invented by people without good answers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3