• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ajin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Kei has really changed since his initial appearance especially from these past few episodes. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised at this point. He's becoming more and more like Ajin.

I wonder which Ajin is stronger between him and Saotu. Seems like the latter is making his move as well with his team. It should be interesting to see how this transit. Excited for next episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Lol, Kei has a Bizarro Ghost? Seriously, I wonder what the significance of that is.

I love watching Satou walk. Or even move for that matter. It's like they lifted his motion capture from old Toshiro Mifune samurai movies.

It does seem like Kou can't summon his ghost at will though, or else he's too stupid to use it to break out or even send it to the "protest" in his place. Even without the ghost, he was kicking at the floor instead of at the weaker points on the side where openings already existed, so maybe he isn't all that bright.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote

With the times as they are now, I certainly hope no one intending to perform terrorist attacks watched this episode. Very clever way of pulling off a telegraphed terrorist attack.

Now everyone knows what Satou is up to. If he wins his solo duel against the PM's special task force (which according to Satou is the strongest paramilitary force in the country) then the game is really up for the humans in Japan. Looking at the trailer, it appears the other IBMs get in on the act by shutting down the support team from the rooftops.

The only way Satou is going to lose is if his support team is ratted out and taken down along with him being heavily tranquilized before he can reset himself. The odds of that happening are virtually zero unless the other three Ajin who are not yet involved actually decide to react (which isn't going to happen given the locations of two of them).
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Idk if it's just me but feels like the police are rather useless so far in this series. Satou's such a heartless guy tbh as he doesn't seem to feel anything at all when he kills. Although I have to say, he is also quite cunning and skillful with his plans and not afraid to take risks.

Curious to see how this develops....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, totally realistic. There has been a public threat against the company at a specific time and day, and yet they don't ask to see their paperwork just because it was scheduled on the computer, don't inspect what they're bringing in, don't notice the two guys hiding their faces...

And not evacuating? If there's a bomb threat called in do Japanese police give the occupants the option of not leaving? They sure don't in the US.

All that nonsense aside, I loved Satou riding the building down (even if that's not how buildings collapse) and Tosaki's expression was priceless.

I don't think it's going to be tranquilizer darts this time though. I wonder what they have planned to capture him? I don't think it's going to be pretty.

And Tosaki? You do know that "humane" applies to the actor, not the one acted upon, right? But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah, totally realistic. There has been a public threat against the company at a specific time and day, and yet they don't ask to see their paperwork just because it was scheduled on the computer, don't inspect what they're bringing in, don't notice the two guys hiding their faces...

And not evacuating? If there's a bomb threat called in do Japanese police give the occupants the option of not leaving? They sure don't in the US.

And Tosaki? You do know that "humane" applies to the actor, not the one acted upon, right? But hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.

You do realise that it was the neighbouring building which was bombed right? One that was located nearby but not next to the HQ? The smaller building it crushed when it toppled over was the Grant Pharmaceuticals HQ Satou threatened with his message. As for the reaction of the guards, if all they do is rely on their electronic diaries to check for visitors, I'm not at all surprised by their complacent reaction. After all, their building wasn't threatened by a terrorist Ajin nor does anyone in Japan at this moment take Satou seriously.

Was it specifically a bomb threat? I got the impression the police were assigned to guard the HQ but weren't sure exactly what Satou intended with his threat. All of the news conferences featuring the CEO mentioned nothing about bombs. Hence the big surprise when the neighbouring tower was blown up. I'm not a civil engineer so I can't comment on the realism regarding targeted explosives to get buildings to topple over on one side.

All the viewers know Tosaki doesn't give a damn about Ajin and is willing to treat them as vermin/insects/pests if it means getting his position back and staying alive. I don't see anything about his scheme that appears out of character (nor do any of the people around him bar his pet Ajin guardian care much about what happens to Ajin either).
Sobe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely fabulous. I couldn't ask for more (just yet).

The timing, the flashy entrances, the music, everything. I'm falling in love with this anime even more and more because the villains should always outdo the anti-heros. I literally can't wait to see what is in store for everyone. And I cannot wait what is in store for our anti-hero Kei. Hopefully it's enough to knock him off his two face. I also hope this climax has a climax because I can only believe it's going to go downhill from here given other anime of this caliber.

I'm sincerely wishing Ajin proves me wrong to the very end. This is what I was hoping for from Terror in Resonance but didn't get (even if it was still bittersweet to the very end). I still liked TiR but I always appreciate an antagonist that goes through and flips the frowns and smiles of every single person they meet. Especially in such a grandiose way, in one fell swoop.

If there's anything I've come to expect from the seinen genre, it's that there's no surprise this genre will have the best kind of antagonists that I love seeing bringing the fight to the people. We build them up only to tear them down, right? Twisted Evil
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote

As predicted, Satou and his gang overcame all obstacles and walk away scot-free. It was still a close-run thing though, had those bullets taken out Satou before his shadow stopped them the authorities might still have pulled it off.

Unfortunately for Nagai Kei, getting his face plastered all over the news again leads to his undoing as he has now lost his safehouse once Kita calls him in to make up for the financial loss he incurred. Unsurprisingly Nagai Kei must now take revenge against Satou for depriving him of his sanctuary given next week's episode title.

To top it off, next week's episode is going to be the last of this season. The continuation of this story as an adaptation will have to wait for the upcoming Ajin movie which is not yet released.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Focus switches back to Nagai Kei after Satou's brief intermission with his terrorist acts. Although his preparations paid off in the end, it's ultimately self-interest which drives him to oppose Satou along with Nakano (who is not a variant and cannot summon his own shadow thus far but recognises the traits).

Interesting little tidbit about how the Indian Ajin are revered as gods compared to their treatment elsewhere.

Nagai will most likely remember what Shimamura looks like even if he doesn't know her name. The one trump card she had over Nagai Kei (as an unknown quantity) has now been lost so any adaptation after this will hopefully show another duel between these two Ajin on opposing sides.

As for Satou's final announcement, well it's not exactly surprising but he really is willing to go far to force the country to treat Ajin better. Until the humans find a way to kill Ajin permanently, he'll probably succeed with the arms and supplies he keeps receiving from the Yakuza. The only way I can think of is the one Satou mentioned to Nagai Kei in this series; decapitating Satou and holding his head far enough away for a new head to regenerate and for his personality and memories to change completely.

Since this is an ongoing series and there are movies planned, another adaptation in this form will probably depend on the movie ticket revenues and home video sales for this adaptation. I've enjoyed it throughout, not just for the action but also for the themes running through the series.

The next movie (based on the poster) will probably cover up to the end of this season. The final movie should see a showdown but that will not be out for some time.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Aww, even if there's a movie coming it's still not enough and still not soon enough. I finally found an anime that I want to see more of that isn't a yaoi or action shojo/josei series. Sad Isn't CG supposed to be cheaper and quicker compared to how modern anime is made today? MORE AJIN PLEASE!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Finished it this week.

Although I have to admit, I wish they expanded more on Satou's characterization besides what's shown on paper about him.

As my final thoughts, I think the TV anime is good but not great. There wasn't many characters I liked as most of them shows the darker side of humanity with Satou being a prominent example. Kei's personality also becomes rather cold (or perhaps it always like that?). Either way, the story of the cat and mouse game to hunt down Kei and others like him is what kept me at the edge of my seat. Each episode expanded more on that and the finale reached its climax despite not having a proper conclusion.

Action is fairly good throughout the show even though I'm not a fan of CGI related content. Music is phenomenal though and I love the OP song as one of my favorites this year so far. I think the show is targeted to more of a specific audience if you're really seeking a thrill from it. Otherwise, it's not a show for everyone. The manga continues from here so it'll be interesting to see if this gets more content (besides the OVA) in the future. Good show overall.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
I think Satou is even scarier with his eyes open. Very Happy He's one of the best villains I've seen in a long time. Except for his world (or Japan) domination ambitions, I've mostly been rooting for him.

I mean, seriously, yes, he's a terrorist, but what would you do to stop what's being done to Ajin in a legal manner? It's not like they can peacefully protest in the streets. Writing letters to the editor or their government reps would be a waste of time. They leak footage of the torture and no one believes it's real. Or cares. The public has bought the lie that Ajin are being "protected" and anything else to the contrary is viewed as conspiracy paranoia. That's going to be a harder sell now that the attempted capture of Satou has been broadcast, but he's also kind of shot himself in the foot at the same time, since he's lost whatever sympathy that might've gained him.

What would you do in Satou's shoes?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

What would you do in Satou's shoes?

Live a quiet life like all the other Ajin he summoned during his terrorist welcoming party. But that's not like him since he was probably involved with the capture of the Ajin soldier in the first episode and knows too much about what Ajin are and what they should aspire to.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Watched the entire thing in one siting. My god, that was AMAZING! That cliffhanger...
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote

The choice of episode number makes it clear the animators have conceived the series as one big project rather than two separate ones. This also ties in with how the movies were produced and distributed.

Both the OP and ED songs are a downgrade from the last airing, fortunately the animation accompanying both the songs is as good if not better than the last quarter.

As for the show itself, the first part is a quick refresher for what happened in the episode immediately before this. Someone unnecessary for anyone who intends to watch it back to back but necessary for those coming back after the long break.

To the meat and potatoes: after the events in the last episode I certainly did not anticipate Nagai Kei's course of action this week. Yes it's the most logical method to defeat Satou but it completely ignores the circumstances of his compatriot and is somewhat ridiculous considering how hard he's tried over the last quarter trying to stay undetected. On paper it looks good since it's 3 Ajin working together, the bad news is one of the members can't manifest the signature Ajin move and has no idea if he's even capable of it. Not to mention the precarious nature of the relationship and how easy it should be to break up.

While all this is going on, Satou's great purge announced in the last episode is going full-steam ahead. His final threat of actually taking over the country isn't being dismissed (since the PM himself is aware his life is actually in danger) after the great shootout two episodes ago. Whether the alliance of Satou's enemies can stop him and his crew remains a very open question, especially after looking at the trailer for next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9