• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Media Franchises in Japan: 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fast and the Furious

One of these is not like the others...

But seriously though, anime in 29 out of the top 30 spots? I thought while anime is popular in Japan (obviously), I didn't think it was "beat almost all other media franchises" popular. Or it is just that anime stuff is so expensive that it's makes enough to dominant the list?

And why Fast and the Furious, of all things, is the other non-anime thing to appear on the charts? That's seems a little random.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Considering how much attention SnK got this year, I am not surprised that it outsold One Piece this year. But One Piece is getting a movie next year, so it'll be back to giving SnK more competition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Considering how much attention SnK got this year, I am not surprised that it outsold One Piece this year. But One Piece is getting a movie next year, so it'll be back to giving SnK more competition.

That's because it's got like 10 spin-offs, novels, limited edition volumes, video games, films etc. They're milking that shit like crazy. Granted One Piece has a lot of merchandise, but media such as actual content such as spin-offs, films etc. will always sell more than stuff like plushies, lunchboxes, stickers etc. Also, long-running anime dvd & blu-ray's don't sell well at all cause it's like $80 for 3-4 episodes sets for a 700-800 episode (and counting) series. Attack on titan is seasonal so more people buy it.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
Wandering Samurai wrote:

That's because it's got like 10 spin-offs, novels, limited edition volumes, video games, films etc. They're milking that shit like crazy. Granted One Piece has a lot of merchandise, but media such as actual content such as spin-offs, films etc. will always sell more than stuff like plushies, lunchboxes, stickers etc. Also, long-running anime dvd & blu-ray's don't sell well at all cause it's like $80 for 3-4 episodes sets for a 700-800 episode (and counting) series. Attack on titan is seasonal so more people buy it.

In reality other types of merchandise like plushies, lunchboxes, stickers etc. in overall sell way more than media content. The thing is that Oricon doesn't count those, and so this list doesn't either(being it made by Oricon).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3