• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mobile Suit Gundam Animation Director Says Series' Pro-War Message is a Mix-Up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
This is the big problem about "anti-war" messages in action-heavy shows: you can't talk about how much war sucks and then show awesome action sequences. It leads to mixed messages.

I disagree. Saving Private Ryan which another poster mentioned is very action heavy. Are you saying that doesn't do a good job showing 'war sucks'?

I think the real issue is that heavy action causes a lot of people to not look for depth. Yes, gundam has flashy, glorified fight scenes. But if you pay attention to the character's reactions, why they are fighting, the entirety of those suffering from the fighting, etc those are almost always clearly anti-war.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It's also action sequences typically with no consequences. Whenever a character does die in Gundam, it's this giant multi-episode ordeal that makes a big stink about it and it never feels quite right or natural. Sure, mooks get offed all the time, but it's always in bloodless pink explosions; kind of a difference between and say the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan.

That isn't a good comparison at all. SPR is an infantry battle, live action, and iirc rated R. Gundam battles are almost always mechanized (thus less humanized), they're animated (thus less realistic), and they're meant to be accessable by a young audience as well as air on tv (in an accessible time slot). Of course SPR conveys the brutality of war better. However, just because other things do it better, doesn't mean Gundam doesn't also do it.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked These people are crazy. I thought you were all against international conflict, Japan.

Sure, Gundam starts as a war, but the majority of the time it's all about independence from Earth. Even now in Iron Blooded Orphans its like that. There's a disagreement, there's a desire for monopoly of the belligerents, people get killed, payback here and there, etc.

Everyone is a greedy jerk.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

But if you want to look for "The war is cool" message in Gundam, then look no further than Build Fighters. There you can have those machines not killing anyone.

1000 facepalms wouldn't be enough. Build Fighters is about a game, a game. Were you pro-war/pro violence when as a kid you played cops vs robbers ? Or were you pro genocide when playing cowboys vs indians ? Or pro nazi when playing with panzer toy tanks ? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3