• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Myriad Colors Phantom World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
In fact, director Tatsuya Ishihara seems to be actively playing with fan service expectations, as on a few occasions in these three episodes a scenario plays out which seems like it is headed towards a stock fan service scene but then changes direction at the last second. For instance, acrobatics are involved in one scene to avoid a crotch-plant to Haruhiko's face, while in another Haruhiko stumbles into Reina and looks for all the world like he is going to give her an accidental grope, but instead he winds up hugging her to regain his stability. This might not be obvious if you don't regularly watch heavy fan service titles, but as someone who does, it is a refreshingly fun little gimmick.

I wouldn't call that "funny" or "inventive" or the director "playing against expectations". The incident in episode one makes an attempt for self-aware comedy when MC says he will avoid the cliché boob-grab fall, but that joke dies when the scene ends with the girl's butt on MC's face. It was just a "hyuk hyuk we're aware of fandom clichés but we still give you some because hilarity" moment

Quote:
At the least, I have to give Phantom World some credit for trying to play against expectations and function at least a little out of the standard mold.

I dropped it after episode one, but if there is one thing I didn't see in that one episode was any remote attempt to play against expectations or work outside the mold. Quite the contrary, this show seems to be doing its damnedest to hit every single bullet point in a LN-Magic High School-cliché list and bringing exactly nothing new to the table :S

Quote:
am i the only one offended that this show is compared to KnK?

I'm not offended as much as I'm bewildered. KnK may not have saved anime, but it was a nice little show with actually unique character types. It did have dumb parts and the main character's constant harping on his megane fetiche was awkward, but it had at least a little bit of charm and sincerity. This one just feels like they literally grabbed all the clichés they could find and threw them in a blender, covered it with pretty animation and called it a day.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:29 am Reply with quote
After failing miserably at giving Mai some characterisation in Ep. 3, the direction tem really got to do something with Reina's backstory. The music was really on point during the final scenes and the framing was interesting during the moment she had to choose whether she continue in her fantasy world or real life. Although it was pretty stupid (Mai eating the food after being distracted by the fact Ruru is not affected by it and that toilet scene, which is just right there with the "headbutt of memories" from Ep. 3), this one at least wasn't pointless, and give something to care about Reina, who is by far my favorite. Please more episodes like this!
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Definitely feels like a guilty pleasure of the season. Plot is all over the place while there's fan service every episode, is very gimmicky, and really lacks good storytelling so far.

I just hope that headphone girl gets more characterization in some way...
Oh and why do I have a feeling that there's something funny about the teddy bear? lol.

The fanservice does seem milder than many other light novel anime though. So far not too much skin is revealed, and they try to avoid the classical grope right in the first episode (I have no guarantee they'll keep it that way). It does show, but Kyoto Animation seem to have it under control.

It does seem like the primary schoolgirl and her teddy bear would play a role, but the question is when.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm just going to mostly repost what I said in the anime thread. It wasn't a bad episode, but as harshly as the parents were presented (by lack of actually presenting them), their sudden turnaround seemed as fantastic as the phantom parents were. Just one little talking to, and they let her join the club they hate and go from barricading themselves behind iron gates to throwing said gates open to the world and greeting her on the steps when she gets home. Happily ever after. :/ Talk about an unearned resolution.

Speaking of steps, what were the bits of broken stone on the steps that resembled the monoliths in her fantasy world? It seemed like they were supposed to symbolize those monolithic parents being broken down, but aside from that, where did they come from? What were they doing there? Wouldn't someone sweep them away? They were so out of place in this neatly manicured estate.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I would have gone with the bunny people. They seemed nice.

Episode 4 was a lot of fun. But I agree that the lack of an ongoing plot is a problem for a show like this. We did learn more about not only Reina, but Haruhiko's living situation. Did Reina's parents greet her at the end? I missed that.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Just a heads-up that there will be no episode review this week. Will cover both episodes next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Mexican Batman wrote:
The fanservice does seem milder than many other light novel anime though. So far not too much skin is revealed, and they try to avoid the classical grope right in the first episode (I have no guarantee they'll keep it that way). It does show, but Kyoto Animation seem to have it under control.

It does seem like the primary schoolgirl and her teddy bear would play a role, but the question is when.

I knew she'd play a part.

Anyway, the story is still in its early volumes, and it's quite hard to adapt an unpublished book. We'll just wait and see if they reveal the secrets of Alayashiki. I'm seriously hoping this wouldn't be the next Rail Wars.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
As expected, Koito's dere is cute.

But more importantly, Albrecht is a hero to us all. The lovely backgrounds and the unapologetic camp sold me on episode 6, even if the baffling design decision of front-tails tries its best to turn me against Kurumi.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Theron's reviews seem to jibe with what I think about this anime. I'm going to keep watching but I don't know exactly why. It really could be doing so much more than it is.

As for fan service it is just as well there isn't any. But out of nowhere Ruru suddenly got a wedgie out of nowhere. WTF.

GeneStriker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
As for fan service it is just as well there isn't any. But out of nowhere Ruru suddenly got a wedgie out of nowhere. WTF.

Wow, I didn't even see that. Though that might be because I was subconsciously trying to avoid looking at Ruru because I don't like her, and she doesn't matter.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Great reviews for episodes 5 and 6. Just a couple of points I'd like to make.

Firstly, we did get a Mai-centric episode already. Episode three was focused on her and how her perceived vision of her past doesn't match up with reality. Unless they decide to actually fully call her out on her bully nature, she doesn't need another episode centered purely on her.

Secondly, Haruhiko could definitely carry his own episode. He's got his own issues as pretty explicitly spelled out in episode four. Also, it's about time he got a chance to be further fleshed out as a character rather than just a spectator.

Other than those points, great review.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
As expected, Koito's dere is cute.

But more importantly, Albrecht is a hero to us all. The lovely backgrounds and the unapologetic camp sold me on episode 6, even if the baffling design decision of front-tails tries its best to turn me against Kurumi.

I think they may be there to evoke a bunny girl...*thing*? That's the closest I've got. A childish Alice in Wonderland bunny sort of feel? For some reason I most often see the anime and manga renditions of Alice having bunny ears. And/or top hats. They like to combine characters, I guess?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
I still can't help but laugh a bit at koito's name; my native language being spanish.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Phantom World, 'tis a silly show. It's definitely more consistently silly than Kyoani's last fantasy, Beyond the Boundary. It's never going to be the masterpiece that some were expecting.

I do like how they went all in on the cat transformation. Most shows would suffice with just the nya and cat paw hands and maybe the ears and tails, but they went all the way. I do like how they only made Kurumi nya up her speech most of the time. If all of them were cat talking all the time, it would have been annoying. And they made the nyaing useful in the end, so it makes Kurumi's nyas more acceptable.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I might argue that a complete lack of broader story would make this show better; the fact that they teased the thumb drive only like 2 times but still have yet to explain it makes it doubly frustrating since we *know* it means something, but the streak of episodic stories without any further mention of it means we're just waiting for them to show us why it's so important. Unless there's going to be some magical revelation that all the disparate incidents are linked to the thumb drive, I feel like the half-assed foreshadowing just hurts the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7