• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Did Saint Seiya Bomb In North America?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, if it showed up in 2003 its pretty obvious it would bomb. Also, it never had like super mainstream exposure like it had in Brazil back in the early 1990's. Saint Seya was airing everywhere in Brazil from 1990 to 1995 and had a good dubb. American dubbs are usually inferior to Brazilian dubbs (they usually suck) but I guess in this case the difference was even greater.

The individualism / collectivist culture thing is nonsense. First, because small children don't have so many ingrained cultural elements in their mentality, second, because Brazilians, for instance, are perhaps more individualistic than Americans, and Saint Seya is HUGE in Brazil. Even when I was doing my PHD in Brazil I had a friend looking for a saint Seya action figure on the Brazilian equivalent of eBay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the main answer here is definitely timing. By 2003 the show was much too old to gain an audience on TV here in the US & Canada, and even DiC seemed hesitant to really dive into the show. Want to know why ADV only released episodes 1-60 uncut? It's because DiC only licensed that many episodes in the first place, so that's all ADV had access to via the sub-license. Viz's release of the manga also was contractually forced to use DiC's annoying renamings, too, which likely hurt its chances to even appeal to whatever fanbase was there in the first place; I bought all 28 volumes as they came out, but the changes were annoying whenever they popped up.

I will argue, though, that Saint Seiya had managed to earn itself a slowly growing fanbase since then, especially with the advent of streaming. At this point, nearly every bit of Saint Seiya anime is available to use on CrunchyRoll, minus episodes 74-114 (which don't look to be licensed in the first place), the four movies from the 80s (which are at least available on DVD from Discotek), & the two most recent movies (which are both unlicensed). It's not exactly hard for people to get into Saint Seiya now, but what it really does need is a complete anime reboot, as that will attract potential newcomers more than anything. Hell, Hunter X Hunter didn't receive a notable audience here until the Madhouse reboot, and that was after Viz had already released the original Nippon Animation TV series (yes, I know we didn't get the OVAs, but I'm sure we would have gotten them had the original series sold well enough).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
I think with Sailor Moon, it was a "right place at the right time" situation, since at least a lot of kids back then (IIRC) werent too used to a show where the team were all females that could kick monster butt without (much) help from a guy. Instead of the whole "team action show with the token female character" thing. I know that was why I first started watching it back then as a kid. The transformation sequences helped as well. The dub was fun to watch, even if it can be quite...cringey dialogue-wise upon rewatching it nowadays.

CardCaptors, as far as least partially why it became semi-popular, in the US, came over during the "lets have a (monster/creature) show that can compete with Pokemon" era, and of course that dub tried to give Li more screentime and importance that he originally had in the show (not that he wasnt an important character or anything; they just tried to make him a main character). Despite it's issues, it didn't look old animation-wise and the Clow Cards actually looked cool/neat when in action.
...that said, I still remember how a lot of my guy friends were too scared to buy the CardCaptors merchandise because they were all in the girls aisle. So for them to try to market it as a show for boys and girls, they kinda screwed up on that part.

That's an interesting thought about Sailor Moon. Jem and the Holograms achieved some level of success several years prior for being exactly that too. Never thought about the idea of action shows for girls being a neglected market. That being said, had I not known a classmate who was a huge fan of Sailor Moon before it was dubbed (she literally cried all day when she found out that Uranus and Neptune were adapted to be cousins instead of lovers), I would not have known about the huge changes when adapted over.

I would guess, then, that to continue filling that void, we had The Powerpuff Girls, though Craig McCracken had originally written it as a parody of Sailor Moon because he got sick of Cartoon Network showing it all the time. The Powerpuff Girls ran into the same merchandising problem as what you said about Cardcaptor Sakura though. They're all in the girl toys aisle.

As for Cardcaptor Sakura, I forgot it was shown during the kids' monster-collection craze, considering it was also shown at about the same time as Pokémon, Digimon, Monster Rancher, Medabots, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and MonColle Knights (which even has "monster collection" in its name). I guess it's also because it was shown on broadcast television rather than cable, allowing it to reach a much wider and more general audience.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I looked at the reasons a number of people gave for "Saint Seiya" failing in North America. Older look,bad timing,etc. In my opinion,the main reason for "Saint Seiya" not doing well here is that it just wasn't handled well. For me,the older look isn't the problem. Both "Sailor Moon" and "Dragon Ball Z" was well handled.
Unfortunately,"Saint Seiya" wasn't. But,the optimist in me hopes that one day,this show may get a second chance here. Maybe by a new version of the anime,a U.S.-made version,or a much better handled version of the old show. Call me crazy but I think that maybe one day,"Saint Seiya" might have the success it deserves in the U.S. It's only a matter of time.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I think we can bring it to a few simple points:
1. Bad timing. This was something that should have been dubbed and brought over by 1995 at the latest.
2. Bad dubbing and censoring. I remember seeing the Knights of the Zodiac dub when I was 12 or 13, it seemed more like a parody with the green blood and awful voices.
3. The first 73 episodes of the series were not that great. Actually, apart from the Hades arc, the SS anime wasn't great period. And this is someone who has dropped at least $1000 on Myth Cloth figures.
4. We haven't had a proper release of the series, at all. ADV dubbed what, 60 episodes before going bankrupt? DiC did 32? Some company recently subbed the Sanctuary arc and released it on overpriced DVDs. The subs were worse than Chinese fansubs are. The video quality was awful, same with the audio. Dicotek just did The Lost Canvas, which was done very well and is a great series....that is incomplete because TMS Entertainment has said they will not adapt the last half of the manga.
5. Even the manga isn't that great. I think Viz finally released digital versions of all the volumes recently, and they haven't sold well. The original physical books didn't sell great either. The actual translations were fairly poor and they used the dub names of all the characters and techniques.

The series has been mishandled in the US from day one. I'm still shocked Discotek invested the time and money to release Lost Canvas, but they are pretty known for quick and inexpensive releases of obscure(to Americans) anime titles.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I personally feel that that alone is not enough to sink a show, as Sailor Moon, and to a lesser extent Cardcaptors Sakura, had similar treatments done by DiC but they were more popular than Saint Seiya.
Cardcaptors was Nelvana, not DiC. And from what I've heard, I'd say Cardcaptors got a worse treatment. DiC cut some episodes from Sailor Moon, but didn't significantly re-order them or try to make Darien/Tuxedo Mask into a main character coequal to Serena.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to chalk the whole failure up to the fact that DiC used a Bowling For Soup song for the opening sequence.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Yes, for the most part, Saint Seiya being brought in way past its prime was what led to its downfall, with the censoring and radical changes to the characters' personalities being additional partially-contributing factors, according to some that watched the show. It also didn't help that Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac) wasn't advertised well, since I had no idea that it ran at the time it was on TV years ago.

If they modified the shows script that much then the reason why it wasn't popular is also pretty obvious: the US didn't get Saint Seya, hence, it never became popular because it wasn't shown on TV, there was only a modified show made up from parts of Saint Seya, but never the actual real Saint Seya.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blue21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It largely takes place in a far flung fantasy world

No, it takes place on Earth, in a lot of places on Earth in fact, Japan and Greece among them.
CaptainGallis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^That's the point. The term Latin America encompasses everything south of the US, includding the Caribbean islands. Just saying "Latin America" would've been sufficient. Saying Latin and South America is, once again like saying "The United States and the West Coast". One is already part of the other, it's redundant to mention them both

That right, I'm from the Caribbean and guess what Jamaica and every island even though foreigners think there separate are actually part of South-America
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I'm going to chalk the whole failure up to the fact that DiC used a Bowling For Soup song for the opening sequence.

Oh yeah the cover of that Flock of Seagulls song. I barely made it past that for the one episode I watched.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Was there any specific reason they decided to use/have that song for the dub? After listening to that dub OP just now, I can't help but feel they should have just made an original opening song for it. I actually regretted hearing that song again, actually. xD

leafy sea dragon wrote:

That's an interesting thought about Sailor Moon. Jem and the Holograms achieved some level of success several years prior for being exactly that too. Never thought about the idea of action shows for girls being a neglected market. That being said, had I not known a classmate who was a huge fan of Sailor Moon before it was dubbed (she literally cried all day when she found out that Uranus and Neptune were adapted to be cousins instead of lovers), I would not have known about the huge changes when adapted over.

I would guess, then, that to continue filling that void, we had The Powerpuff Girls, though Craig McCracken had originally written it as a parody of Sailor Moon because he got sick of Cartoon Network showing it all the time. The Powerpuff Girls ran into the same merchandising problem as what you said about Cardcaptor Sakura though. They're all in the girl toys aisle.

As for Cardcaptor Sakura, I forgot it was shown during the kids' monster-collection craze, considering it was also shown at about the same time as Pokémon, Digimon, Monster Rancher, Medabots, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and MonColle Knights (which even has "monster collection" in its name). I guess it's also because it was shown on broadcast television rather than cable, allowing it to reach a much wider and more general audience.

Funny thing about the whole Neptune/Uranus thing for me, was that even though as a kid I wasn't fully aware of people that were LGBT, I just KNEW something was up. In one of the episodes, why would "Amara and Michelle" be the ONLY same sex team in a "best friends competition"? Not to mention the whole "mention we are cousins quite frequently" raised a few flags. But I honestly thought that Amara/Haruka was maybe originally a boy that could change into a girl upon transformation in the JPN version (which I totally was cool with because hey maybe Boys wants be Sailor Scouts too and kick butt and get transformation sequences), but was changed to be fully a female in the dub because of "we can't have a boy Sailor Scout" reasons.
So when I found out the truth shortly afterwards from a friend, it made sense why the dub treated them like that.

Cardcaptors being on a channel that alot of people got likely helped in its popularity as well, same with Pokemon and Digimon. I can't remember if Cartoon Network/Toonami aired in alot of homes during that time, but it had to be enough to where both Sailor Moon and DBZ became a hit.

Zalis116 wrote:
Cardcaptors was Nelvana, not DiC. And from what I've heard, I'd say Cardcaptors got a worse treatment. DiC cut some episodes from Sailor Moon, but didn't significantly re-order them or try to make Darien/Tuxedo Mask into a main character coequal to Serena.

Along with the CardCaptors dub changing some of the characters' love interests/relationships, such as Tomoyo liking Sakura, Li maybe having a thing for Yukito iirc and (I totally don't blame them for editing this one) the whole Rika(?) and her teacher situation. Although with that last one, back then I didn't quite buy that in the dub, apparently she was very afraid of the teacher. It didn't make sense me as a kid, since he seemed like a nice guy/teacher and I thought CardCaptors wasn't the kind of show where he would end up being a villain or evil.
I also remember that the dub fused a few of the episodes together(?), like one of the season finales, if not the final episode(s).
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I looked at the reasons a number of people gave for "Saint Seiya" failing in North America. Older look,bad timing,etc. In my opinion,the main reason for "Saint Seiya" not doing well here is that it just wasn't handled well. For me,the older look isn't the problem. Both "Sailor Moon" and "Dragon Ball Z" was well handled.

The difference is that Sailor Moon & Dragon Ball Z first appeared on TV over here in the 90s, so they didn't look quite as outdated as Saint Seiya did in 2003. Even if DiC didn't botch the adaptation as much as it did, the show still looked too old to appeal to people who were watching shows younger than it.

NateSelwyn25 wrote:

4. We haven't had a proper release of the series, at all. ADV dubbed what, 60 episodes before going bankrupt? DiC did 32? Some company recently subbed the Sanctuary arc and released it on overpriced DVDs. The subs were worse than Chinese fansubs are. The video quality was awful, same with the audio.

While I will agree that the subs on Cinedigm's boxset were not ideal by any means, they do improve heavily as you go on, with the never-before-released episodes having subs that are just fine, minus some an odd hiccup or two. At the very least, though, it was not "overpriced". If you think $99.95 for 73 episodes, or ~$1.37/episode, is overpriced, then I hate to think what you think of normal (non-Aniplex) anime pricing. Hell, even Right Stuf's Turn-A Gundam DVD sets are $1.99/episode, so you can't call the Seiya boxset overpriced. And this is going off of MSRP, so nowadays you are easily paying less than $1/episode for any of these releases.

NateSelwyn25 wrote:
5. Even the manga isn't that great. I think Viz finally released digital versions of all the volumes recently, and they haven't sold well. The original physical books didn't sell great either. The actual translations were fairly poor and they used the dub names of all the characters and techniques.

The translation itself was just fine for Viz's release of the manga, minus the required name changes. It was translated by Mari Morimoto, who herself is a giant fan of Seiya & tried convincing Viz to bring it over years before DiC got the anime. If anything, she was the perfect candidate to translate Saint Seiya for Viz.

As for sales, all I know about the digital re-release was that every volume (or at least nearly every volume) consistently hit the best-selling new releases list whenever a new volume came out, so I'd guess that it did okay, maybe even slightly better than the original books. That alone is impressive enough, & even made some people in the industry (like Vertical's Ed Chavez) wonder where these fans were back during the physical releases.

NateSelwyn25 wrote:
The series has been mishandled in the US from day one. I'm still shocked Discotek invested the time and money to release Lost Canvas, but they are pretty known for quick and inexpensive releases of obscure(to Americans) anime titles.

This I will agree with. I've gone as far as to say that there is a "Kurumada Curse" over here, since nearly every single Kurumada-related product has had some sort of release problem, whether it's being unfinished, taking forever to come out due to low sales, or being screwed over in some other fashion. In fact, Discotek is the only company to break the "Curse", but even Selby (the head of the company) told me in person at Otakon that if Lost Canvas bombs for them, like the 80s movies did, then Discotek will likely never touch anything from Kurumada ever again.

It's annoying for me, as I'm a big fan of his entire catalog, and to feel that all of his major works (not just Seiya) may likely remain out of reach to North America (a.k.a. "North Mexico") is downright depressing. I'll even be fine with CrunchyRoll streaming stuff like the anime adaptations of Ring ni Kakero 1, B't X, & Fuma no Kojirou, but if Seiya can't even make any sort of notable dent than I guess I'm just screwed in terms of getting this stuff more known to anime fans.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I kind of wish Discotek would've added the Spanish dub to the movie releases and Lost Canvas, perhaps they would have sold more. I've seen all of Saint Seiya in spanish dub and I would certainly would have like to have the spanish track added..
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Yes, for the most part, Saint Seiya being brought in way past its prime was what led to its downfall, with the censoring and radical changes to the characters' personalities being additional partially-contributing factors, according to some that watched the show. It also didn't help that Saint Seiya (Knights of the Zodiac) wasn't advertised well, since I had no idea that it ran at the time it was on TV years ago.

I think Saint Seiya might have a fair chance at being in the U.S. spotlight if it had a new show with new characters and a more compelling story.[/list]

Arles (who in my opinion had multiple personality disorder) murdering Shion, impersonating him, attempt to murder the goddess he swore to protect and the one gold saint that risked his life (and irremediably died) was treated like a scumbag traitor isn't a sufficiently interesting backstory but Naruto and Bleach are??? But don't eorry guys, when Hades gives Arles a new body he was reeeeeally remorseful for trykng to murder Saori when he saw how big her rack was and she is merely a developing 13 year old. Yes, I love SS and while my avatar is from Milo, Camus is still the best character from the series. I especially love him in his black sapuri cloth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7