• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
7 Original Pokemon Rumors Unmasked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Theories were even helped by things like the Missingno glitch that revealed that far fetched rumours could be true. I can recall a friend and I messing around and totally surprised when somehow Missingno turned into Kangaskhan. If you were able to get access to internet you would find a bunch of really odd rumours, and then you get these spreading across the child demographic.

The Generation I games were incredibly glitchy. I had a friend show me that he obtained a Level 0 Voltorb. When he sent it into battle, it would faint before it could attack because its HP was 0. The glitches made it difficult to figure which were true and which were merely rumors.

As far as glitch Pokémon go, Bulbapedia has identified at least 72 of them in Generation I, more than three times as many as all subsequent generations combined.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:26 am Reply with quote
Akina Speedstars FOREVER!!! also Thank God for the Internet it makes catching rare Pokémon so much easier than back in the day. Smile
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
This winter, at AGDQ 2016, there was a Pokémon GEN 1 Glitch Showcase, where the player ACTUALLY used Strength on the truck to battle Mew.
With lots and lots of glitches uses, it's possible Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdONqHXtL1c

I was about to post this. Laughing
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:10 am Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone has any knowledge about a glitch in Pokémon RBY in which one could run into and possibly catch virtually any Pokémon at Level 5?
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I wonder if anyone has any knowledge about a glitch in Pokémon RBY in which one could run into and possibly catch virtually any Pokémon at Level 5?

Yep, the same "Mew" glitch in the article can be used to encounter I believe any Pokémon at a level between 1 and 13: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch

You'll need to reduce a pokémon's attack stage by two, such as by using Growl, to get level 5.
Zaig

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
Loving the nostalgia in this article!

I was familiar with most of these as a child, except the failed Mew cloning experiment (tis a shame I never even heard of that until now) and the whole turn Dragonite into Yoshi thing.

And obviously the up and B button combo is a rumor and not confirmed because it's actually down and B, heh! I could never understand when people did Up instead of Down (it's like you're asking for the top lid of the Pokeball to open up, while Down applies pressure >D). To this day I still do the Down and B thing - I hold them down with everything I've got! - because it adds some intensity to the battle and creates the illusion you're right there, fightin' with your Pokemon and trying to catch one/a new friend together.

I remember Pikablu being totally a thing on the playground, but we saw it more as an Ice type. I think the logic was "Blu" -> Blew -> blows icy wind attacks.

Also, I hate Bill's backyard...and Bill in general, until he gives you an Eevee in gen 2, then we were cool. But he's all showing it off, practically announcing to the world, "Yeah, I got some rare Pokemon out in back. They're yours for the taking - if you can get to them that is! Mwahahaha!" I was so certain there was a way to get there too...

Last edited by Zaig on Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
A little off topic, but with the monthly Legendary give away, why not have the gift Pokemon start out at level 5 instead of level 100? Especially Mew, since it only had one move for being at such a high level.

That's what TM's are for Laughing
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
A little off topic, but with the monthly Legendary give away, why not have the gift Pokemon start out at level 5 instead of level 100? Especially Mew, since it only had one move for being at such a high level.

That's what TM's are for Laughing

...as well as a Move Tutor that can teach Pokémon forgotten moves learned at earlier levels.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:37 am Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:

It wasn't until Gen IV and on that Mew actually got a decent move-set. In Gen I, Mew only had a total of 5 moves learned by leveling. Assuming they're hearkening back to Gen I, we're not missing out on much (Psychic would have been nice, though). But considering most (if not all) of the moves you'd want to give Mew are TM/HMs, and those are unlimited (which they weren't in Gen I), it doesn't make a difference in the long run.

Snomaster1 wrote:
I've never heard any of those rumors about the original pokemon before but I do have a theory about one of the original characters,Misty. I've often thought she had a crush on Ash but he was too dense and/or too focused on his dream of becoming a pokemon master to notice. It's a shame they won't let her come back to the show. It'd be interesting to see whether my theory is proved right or wrong.

All of that was made up by the dub. None of it was in the original series more than them just being good friends.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Ahh some of these were painful memories I remember being one of the many that got suckered by the Mew truck rumor.

TheFullmetalOne wrote:

Because having gift legendaries that low in level is stupid..........doesn't stop people from asking for them on the GTS though.

Dessa wrote:

All of that was made up by the dub. None of it was in the original series more than them just being good friends.

Was her her traveling with him with the expectation that he'll pay her back for her total bike also added only to the dub?
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ahh some of these were painful memories I remember being one of the many that got suckered by the Mew truck rumor.

TheFullmetalOne wrote:

Because having gift legendaries that low in level is stupid..........doesn't stop people from asking for them on the GTS though.

Dessa wrote:

Was her her traveling with him with the expectation that he'll pay her back for her total bike also added only to the dub?

I don't think it's necessarily stupid to have them start at Level 5. At least you have more control over their growth in terms of stats and naturally learned moves, and for my money, raising them from scratch would be much more fulfilling in its own way. Not that that's going to stop me from collecting them over the course of the year (I've already got Mew and Celebi, so I plan to keep going).
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I remember a glitch involving battling Professor Oak (or maybe that was a Gameshark cheat?), except that the game blacked out when he was about to release a Pokemon. My friends and I tried for aaaages to see what his Pokemon was, to no avail.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
The ditto theory sounds good except for one major flaw, the whole mew cloning experiment lasted 4 years from start to finish. Mew 2 was the primary focus and result dureing the process. Ditto isn't that rare and 4 years would not be enough to make that many of the exact same dittos.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
That mew glitch from AQDQ OMG? Thats not suppose to work?
By the way I hold A button while playing pokemon and works most of the time better when not holding the button.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:

I don't think it's necessarily stupid to have them start at Level 5. At least you have more control over their growth in terms of stats and naturally learned moves.

Due to the very nature of IV's and nature you don't really have much control of their growth and stats there's also the fact that most of them learn their best moves at later levels anyway.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4