• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - From The New World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Question where can I stream this series Hulu possibly or where can I purchase it and how much will it costs. This podcast has made me interested in viewing it. Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
Question where can I stream this series Hulu possibly or where can I purchase it and how much will it costs. This podcast has made me interested in viewing it. Very Happy

It is streaming on Crunchyroll here. You can also purchase it via rightstuf as a complete series for a pretty reasonable price. I believe it went on sale during their Holiday Sale this past year, so you might be able to snag it for even less if you wait for just a bit.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
This is one of those shows I missed the first time around I skimmed a couple chapters of the manga and was not that impressed with it describing it as (from my admittedly cursory glance) as "fan service and monster gorn". So given the effusive praise the Anime has gotten in this episode I'm still not going to watch it but nice to see someone got something out of it

And this is exactly why I wish Kodansha never brought over that awful manga. Of course it would give people the completely wrong idea about the series. The anime and manga are nothing alike. The anime is an intelligent and thought provoking sci-fi series with no fanservice.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Having seen the first five episodes, subsequent to the accolades this show received on the podcast, I have the following to say about it. Moreso than for many anime, one can tell that each scene was arranged purposively and thoughtfully. Innovations in the use of palates, camera angles and effects abound throughout each episode, and I applaud the deviation from the norm of using a 90-second opening animation. The only flaw I can identify is the incidental music during action scenes.

All this said, I struggle to find any means through which I can connect to this series and its cast. My jaw dropped upon seeing the opening scene with its dissonant use of Dvořák, but it soon sealed thereafter. This is not an especially human show. The characters seem, thus far, to exist as little other than vehicles for exploring this series' fictional world. They show plenty of emotion, and are hardly passive about the mysteries surrounding them, but the calculated, permeating sense of dread has really stunted any opportunities to engage with them as relatable human beings. Sadly I have yet to care for their very survival, let alone for any developments that may befall them of a less mortal nature.

For those who adhere to the "five episode rule" or otherwise, is there anything of a more passionate nature awaiting me? When I find myself in this position with anime, I typically and unhesitatingly drop the show in question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I think it's an important point that you bring up that it's not an especially "human" show, and I'd say if you find difficulty relating to the characters and that this seriously bothers you then I will tell you that no, it's not going to change.

I think the fact that these people are different is an important aspect of the worldbuilding, and while you say something to the effect of "merely" I would drop that entirely. If you're looking for passion, I'd say it absolutely shines through as the show goes on. Something very realistic I would hope comes of this experience for you is that you begin to feel for something you previously thought was inhuman and that causes you to find a new way to appreciate characters.

My advice to you is take it halfway and drop it then if you still don't feel connected.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:

Again, though, there is no positive queer representation by the end of the series and the show defaults on a het pairing just because; by which I mean, where we could have easily had Maria and Saki surviving and raising kittens together, we got the mandatory mom/dad/baby dynamic which does nothing to satisfy any intended challenge to the status quo. Maria (a character I think the show established as being explicitly gay and not sexually fluid as one might infer regarding Saki and maybe even Satoru) is literally murdered after running off with Mamoru to have his child. I'll admit that my identity as a queer person is often central to my viewing experience so this is just my own bias, but this was nonetheless incredibly alienating and disappointing to me, especially since hearing about the strong queer dynamics at play in the series was one of its persistent draws.

I'm glad others liked the show, though.

I don't think the show is saying that homosexual relationships should be an adolescent-only thing. Sure, their society may encourage homosexual pairs in adolescence, but I don't think it's trying to say you should necessarily agree or disagree with that.

The way I read the romance stuff was as follows:

In general, sexual contact in their society is more open and common than it is in ours.

Upon reaching puberty people form more coherent romantic relationships with people from their own school group. These are encouraged to be homosexual to prevent pregnancy (though this does not appear to be a hard rule. If you look closely, it seems as though a couple heterosexual pairs might exist).

Later on, the 'duty pairs' are formed, which are essentially an excuse for people to declare their attractions. Ultimately these lead to serious relationships as well and possibly marriage and childbearing. Married couples live together and bear children with each other, but sexual contact outside that marriage is not considered taboo or infidelity, however direct intercourse resulting in pregnancy would probably be considered unacceptable.

Ultimately, I think their culture and society is so different from our own that you can't really compare them to homosexual (or heterosexual for that matter) romances of today, and it's not trying to make a direct message about any specific aspect of our romance. Rather, I think it's trying to let us see that in general a lot of our romance conventions are arbitrary by serving as a point of contrast to them.

I think that where they're at with respect to romance is better than where we are now, but there are still some weird things going on with the mating, like picking the cleaning pairs and not knowing who likes you, but the difference is that it doesn't feel quite as all-in as it is in our time. Ultimately, in my opinion it's a little unfair to criticize the show for having the romances end up as they did, because I think the goal was to show how much circumstance dictates who we end up with.

As I said on the podcast I'm not on board with the idea that Maria is unilaterally attracted to women. I find it pretty hard to believe that she would go into the wilderness with Mamoru and decide to commit to him like that if that were the case. Plus, we know that in their society everyone was genetically modified to be bisexual. To me it's also a pretty big stretch that she'd decide to have a kid in the woods with him if she weren't romantically in love with him, especially since the child would be a bit of a hardship for them in their environment.

Ghost_Wheel wrote:
I think it's an important point that you bring up that it's not an especially "human" show, and I'd say if you find difficulty relating to the characters and that this seriously bothers you then I will tell you that no, it's not going to change.

I think the fact that these people are different is an important aspect of the worldbuilding, and while you say something to the effect of "merely" I would drop that entirely. If you're looking for passion, I'd say it absolutely shines through as the show goes on. Something very realistic I would hope comes of this experience for you is that you begin to feel for something you previously thought was inhuman and that causes you to find a new way to appreciate characters.

My advice to you is take it halfway and drop it then if you still don't feel connected.

Yeah, I agree. To Zin5ki and anyone else on the fence, I'd say go to episode 10. If you're not on board by that point, I don't think you'll like this.

On the podcast I said that this show deeply resonated with me personally, in addition to me loving it in a more 'analytical' sense. The main reason for this is that I ended up deeply understanding, resonating with, and caring for the characters, Saki in particular. What I like the most is how much you can come to understand these people, even though they way they think and go about things is different than what we're used to. To me, they're some of the most nuanced and best developed characters I've ever seen.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
This anime was one of the best titles of this decade imo. It might have competition with my top anime. But its still a great show following the modern trend of self insert characters with a hint of moral characterization but with a very interesting world/premise that actually explores everything unlike most anime. Plus it uses framing near perfectly. Yes, some was used to foreshadow. But unlike Erased, the show still had so much to explore putting stuff like that in the back of your mind which is a theme in the show. I really wouldn't compare it to the hunger games except maybe for the ending. Sure, the first layer council did seem 1 dimensional like the system in hunger games. But the leader here is so much more complex and saki's parents and the rest of the council in the adult arc though preferring to follow their system are still sad about their decisions being the only option for them by society's laws, slightly clouding their judgment out of fear. Something Hunger games didn't explore that much imo. Though I can't deny some parts were good. But From the New World seems better for its visual presentation and ending being a nice subtle touch of the Saki's child possibly being the viewer. If not, then you would insert yourself or beside the characters depending on your impression of their personalities.

I found the minashiro info dump to be the best info dump I've ever seen. With how long it dragged spewing darker and darker information. It makes the audiences reaction of being either tense, angry or annoyed the more reasonable since some of the characters were too. Plus like kids they wanted to ask straight away without thought of the consequence ala losing their essence of youth when finding out their world is dark.

Though animation did have a few hiccups, which makes me believe some of the staff were being pulled over to SAO's animation staff to make awesome scenes for that crappy show lol. Music was immersive as hell, not to overpowering like most anime tracks. But musical worthy in fitting with the tension. A shame no OST was released out of the BD LE singles. The dub did have some hiccups to ala Greg. But I did hear that he was trying, and his stuff after episode 3-4 was definitely better. I didn't have much of a problem with Clint since his character was suppressing his emotion, if he did give too much emotional takes in his lines. It would contradict his character. Emily was great, John was a GOD! Everyone else did great.

I still remember my first video review on my channel talking about this. Its still the highest viewed review (23k) and I hope it helped spread the word on this great show. Sadly I thought you guys/gals would make a typed review, but NOOOOOOOO! Even when Sentai released a complete blu ray set, STILL NOTHING lol. I thought this would get burned to the ground since it was, "to artsy." Or that it was licensed/dubbed by Sentai Filmworks since Hope has a dislike for em lol. Well, either way. Glad this wasn't a fools joke and I'm glad you gave such high praise for it.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
I wouldn't say you're totally biased, I do think the story got itself in a hard riddle. From the dense exposition, you can tell the author looked up a bit of psychoanalysis, and his idea must have come from "humans using genetic engineering on inconsciousness"; the psychic power is basically explained as a manifestation of inconscient on reality, and according to the Tsuchinoko (that cute, glowing little giraffe that blows up because yes), humans tried to "destroy" violence by forcing people to 'love' instead of punching each other when conflict arises, the story tells us that one way or another the inconscious is impossible to controlate and that the human mind is far more complicated.

The problem of making that, is that adolescents are in no way controlable, and far more unpredictable, so in order to prevent pregnancy at young age, they also force a homo-switch for teenagers that fades out in adulthood. Theorically, it looks interesting. Plot-wise, it's an impedement for trying to go the route you expected for. After the whole incident with spoiler[Maria and Mamoru's] child, maybe two girls like Saki and Maria would be allowed to love each other well into adulthood, before that, nigh impossible, one at least would get killed. There is no doubt Saki harbors at least platonic feelings for Maria (heck, they got their own Ending!), but even for Saki it must have been very hard to come to terms to that, maybe the show could have been more vocal on this, though the problem still stands, remember that while they're kids, they are frightened from the truth, when teenagers, they're ignorant, only when they're adults (too late) they realise what's actually going on.

Interesting thoughts. My impression was that, out of all the couples on the show, Saki and Maria had the most comfortable and genuine relationship, and I didn't get the feeling Saki had any difficulty coming to terms with her feelings for Maria (unless the show added some subtext somewhere I've forgotten about). I suppose I'm still left wondering why, if the series was about questioning the status quo within that society and challenging it, that precluded an ending where those loving relationships were embraced rather than eliminated? Maria on her own was a worthwhile character; I just stumbled upon a review which reminded me of the episode where Saki and Satoru read her letter, and she's making a point of questioning the model of their society: it seems to me that Maria could have flourished as a vocal proponent of change resonating with many of the story's potential themes, rather than being knocked out in typical trope fashion.

Galap wrote:
I don't think the show is saying that homosexual relationships should be an adolescent-only thing. Sure, their society may encourage homosexual pairs in adolescence, but I don't think it's trying to say you should necessarily agree or disagree with that.

I might clarify here that I don't think the show is deliberately making a judgment statement on queer identities: I think it explores queer relationships in a careless and ineffectual manner which causes it to inadvertently reinforce dispiriting narrative cliches.

Galap wrote:
Ultimately, I think their culture and society is so different from our own that you can't really compare them to homosexual (or heterosexual for that matter) romances of today, and it's not trying to make a direct message about any specific aspect of our romance. Rather, I think it's trying to let us see that in general a lot of our romance conventions are arbitrary by serving as a point of contrast to them.

But if it's asking that we contrast them it's also demanding that we compare them; that is, I believe, the point of a dystopia tale in that it encourages us to use our current society as a point of reference in light of hypothetical outcomes, advances, regressions, etc. and, from those potentials, to draw conclusions as to what kind of society we want to live in. To me, there's something subversive about the way the characters are depicted forming relationships in their teenage years: some follow authentic feelings of attraction while others seem less willingly bound to social expectations (like Shun, who reads as genuinely heterosexual to me); in this way, it still allows for agency and gives the dynamics between the core cast meaning. The way it's followed up on in the later portions of the series feel frustrating and confusing because of that: to me, it doesn't feel a logical extension of that set-up, which, granted, is an issue I have with the series as a whole.

Galap wrote:
Ultimately, in my opinion it's a little unfair to criticize the show for having the romances end up as they did, because I think the goal was to show how much circumstance dictates who we end up with.

Well, it's entirely possible I wanted the end goal to be something different from what the author intended and that's on me, but even so I think it's fair to criticize it on these merits because I'm still not convinced it lends any greater meaning to the story to have Saki and Satoru have a baby at the end and I'm always critical of stories where vital queer narratives are cut short for the sake of defaulting on the norm.

Galap wrote:
As I said on the podcast I'm not on board with the idea that Maria is unilaterally attracted to women. I find it pretty hard to believe that she would go into the wilderness with Mamoru and decide to commit to him like that if that were the case.

Like, but this is exactly what I mean and what I'm challenging. That was a decision on the part of the author which I felt carried no logical momentum from Maria's characterization up to that point and it, along with everything that followed, was thematically dissonant with her character, imo. I realize that Maria (and all of the characters) were functionally bisexual within the story, but I was led to believe (possibly because of my own bias) that we were meant to see past that and read the actual emotions and attractions of the characters for what they were. Shun was in a relationship with Satoru, but he clearly wasn't into Satoru-- we were meant to gather something from that about Shun, or else why have them be in a relationship in the first place? Satoru, on the other hand, was undeniably into Shun-- likewise, we were meant to infer something about Satoru from that dynamic.

In the same way, Maria read as specifically gay given everything about her relationship with Saki and the way her level of commitment to that relationship contrasted ever so subtly with Saki's, who read as genuinely bisexual or pansexual and harbored strong (implicitly mutual) feelings for Shun. My thought process while viewing was that this is where we were meant to get a grasp on the characters and the pay off would be in seeing where they developed relative to the insights we were given during the adolescent period. So it was disappointing when it ended up feeling more like the characters were slotted into predetermined (and unfortunately predictable) narrative roles which didn't follow from what (I thought) we had learned about them.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Interesting thoughts. My impression was that, out of all the couples on the show, Saki and Maria had the most comfortable and genuine relationship, and I didn't get the feeling Saki had any difficulty coming to terms with her feelings for Maria (unless the show added some subtext somewhere I've forgotten about). I suppose I'm still left wondering why, if the series was about questioning the status quo within that society and challenging it, that precluded an ending where those loving relationships were embraced rather than eliminated? Maria on her own was a worthwhile character; I just stumbled upon a review which reminded me of the episode where Saki and Satoru read her letter, and she's making a point of questioning the model of their society: it seems to me that Maria could have flourished as a vocal proponent of change resonating with many of the story's potential themes, rather than being knocked out in typical trope fashion.

My thought process while viewing was that this is where we were meant to get a grasp on the characters and the pay off would be in seeing where they developed relative to the insights we were given during the adolescent period. So it was disappointing when it ended up feeling more like the characters were slotted into predetermined (and unfortunately predictable) narrative roles which didn't follow from what (I thought) we had learned about them.

Precisely here is where the story and world building tripped over itself a little. Or a lot, depends.

I don't mean that Saki had particular problem in loving Maria, but she must have realized as an adult that it would've been impossible, even if Maria survived. At the same time, this sexuality switch of sorts makes an instantenous cop-out, not only for Saki, but for everyone in her world, I'm sure her parents, her grandparents, and many other people went through the same, in fact, clearly Mamoru and Maria end the same way, and using this as part of such an important plot piece is, without doubt, a weakness in the story (not arguing with the eventual execution, I still think that's pretty great) and the characters. Maybe we needed something like Maria or Saki question themselves or the rather stubborn Satoru how they never had choice, not even in love, everything was set up as if they didn't have hearts.

I certainly agree with you, there IS a slight contradiction in development and conclusion, not because the series is unable to do it, but it clearly did not find a way to mend this without taking away part of the world building.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
But if it's asking that we contrast them it's also demanding that we compare them;

The only idea for comparison would be the age this genre of sci fi is taking ideas from. Where homo sexuality was negativley shammed. Yet even if the author was stating that. adult homosexuality in a world 1000 years ago after a long war and horrendous experiments decreasing the population. In a society where children are constantly judged/killed left and right is kinda unproductive when the goal is to populate after that horrific history. So using that sexuality as a strength on keeping people as youth in check while preventing horrific child parenting childs is reasonable. Homosexuality isn't eliminated, its just thrown up in the air for what the audience ponders how it will work for the next generation. Maybe from Saki's feelings for Marie, she will give more freedom on who can love and how long. The irony for Saki and Satoru's relationship is that they had a connection to shun. Which makes the ending a mix of heartfelt yet still sad, everyone was using eachother. Maria was curious on having a kid, making mamoru still get the short end of the stick on true love yet wanted to hide behind everyone or run away. Saki wants to live the best for Shun and Maria's sake, what's not better than having a kid when Maria did so? And Satoru wants to be with someone that had deep feelings/experiences with Shun. This is like Friends level of insane characters taking advantage of each other. Yet that gives them alot more character/motivation.

Valhern wrote:
Maybe we needed something like Maria or Saki question themselves or the rather stubborn Satoru how they never had choice, not even in love, everything was set up as if they didn't have hearts.

The society and the show itself barely gave them a choice and their actions/pain show that. Even if they did and everyone ended up okay ala Saki and Maria, they would have to come to terms since the village needs to repopulate. Again, maybe they will terminate it for the next generation.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
Wasn't that wild about how FTNW handled its homosexual motifs. Not because they were there, but because the writer went to odd lengths both to explain why it was there & why it was specific to adolescents. First there's all the gibberish about how they've socially engineered their society to be less like chimpanzees & more like bonobos, which is why sex & intimacy are used, even encouraged as a form of social bonding withing friendship groups. But then it goes on to make it clear that, at some point, guys & girls are supposed to grow out of that phase around the time monogamous procreation becomes a concern (see Maria appearing in that dream to say "girls can't have babies").

In other words, the author seems to be coming up with a sci-fi basis for one of 20th century Japanese literature's better known tropes: homosexuality is a phase born from the innocence of youth that characters will either outgrow or be forced out of. It's not so much a critique as a rationale.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
For those who are interested, I have just seen episode eight. Its content appears to be the basis of the present discussion. Consider this: the previous few episodes have been dedicated to a war between mostly mindless grunts, about whom there is little to say other than the fact that they fight and squeal.
Of a sudden, the direction changes. The viewer is overtly presented with genuine but apprehensive displays of human sexuality. If it was the producers' intent to explore the show's alternative humanity in so brave and captivating a way as this, could they at least have wasted less time on those characterless mole-rats beforehand?
The journey continues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised to see this series only now attracting attention from the likes of Zac. When it appeared in 2013, Shin Sekai Yori blew away all the competition in the annual awards given by the members at AnimeSuki.

The manga is a travesty and not indicative of the quality of the anime. I've seen a bit of the portions that present yuri fanservice scenes between Saki and Maria. They have no equivalents in the anime and, from what I've read, no real equivalents in the original novel either.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm surprised to see this series only now attracting attention from the likes of Zac. When it appeared in 2013, Shin Sekai Yori blew away all the competition in the annual awards given by the members at AnimeSuki.

The manga is a travesty and not indicative of the quality of the anime. I've seen a bit of the portions that present yuri fanservice scenes between Saki and Maria. They have no equivalents in the anime and, from what I've read, no real equivalents in the original novel either.

I remeber many people here also called it "Best anime of the year" in 2013-2014...
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
For those who are interested, I have just seen episode eight. Its content appears to be the basis of the present discussion. Consider this: the previous few episodes have been dedicated to a war between mostly mindless grunts, about whom there is little to say other than the fact that they fight and squeal.
Of a sudden, the direction changes. The viewer is overtly presented with genuine but apprehensive displays of human sexuality. If it was the producers' intent to explore the show's alternative humanity in so brave and captivating a way as this, could they at least have wasted less time on those characterless mole-rats beforehand?
The journey continues.

Every little thing on this show matter even if you think it doesn't. That's all I'm going to say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6