• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Joker Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yogshi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
Some interesting wikipedia articles about the events that lead up to this

Thanks for the crash course. The context helped a little.
---------------------------------

Going off ep3, we jumped ahead in time a bit. And the preview for 4 also seems set in a different time+place during the war period.

I guess we're just getting spy vignettes for now? Which I'm cool with. It's an easy way to pass the time. If an arc does occur later I'll look forward to it, but for now I'm content with enjoying the setting(s) more than anything.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen any powers/superhuman abilities yet. Just your typical super spy stuff. No mention of any special surgery either in the premise reminder sequence either. I won't say that theory was completely off base as it could potentially come in later, but for now it seems they are not superhuman, just super spies.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Even if nobody has "superpowers" in the literal sense, the underlying premise of episode 3 is that spoiler[these guys have trained themselves to retain their spy training in the event of amnesia, a la Light Yagami halfway through Death Note]. Silly, yet gripping!
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Bit rude to post before the review is up but this is the only place I can blabber on and on about anime.

This episode was a bit weak. Some of it is just that the choices could be better, the biggest being the climax of the episode.spoiler[ By revealing that Hatano already knew she was likely the traitor before she fired you pretty much cut off all the tension of the scene, it's basically signalling to the audience that Hatano already enacted a counter-plan. The amnesia bit also took me out of the story a bit since it's a nigh-impossible event (at least the way it was shown in story) treated in the story as a regular job hazard.]

The biggest weakness is so far the weakness of the show. The D-agency spies are all pretty indistinguishable still in an Hatano focused episode there was nothing to make Hatano stand out from the other spies.

It speaks to the priorities of the show. It's a story more focused so far on thematic ideas and world-building than the actual characters in it. The only two characters with distinct personalities/histories/interior-lives so far are Sakuma and Yuki. And even Sakuma spent most of his screen-time as a symbol for the typical Imperialist soldier then an actual character.

What this episode was really trying to establish is more information about how D-Agency works (re-iterating the rules that all the agents follow and how ground into these spies the said rules are) and to talk about how most people don't fight for ideals, especially when said people have loved ones and families to take care of. Even Hatano regrets having to drop his identity and roots in Francespoiler[ (and this is a guy who tricked an old woman into almost killing herself)].

Anyways that's so far. I am enjoying the show I think partially because of the ending or what the ending theme promised. Various shots of all the Spies putting themselves in dangerous situations completely alone and anonymous. There's a drama there that I hope gets taken advantage of.

Of course the politics are still a tad iffy, it seems though the author has taken great pains to separate the D-Agency's actions from what the actual Imperial Army is doing.

Last edited by Doodleboy on Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Haven't seen any powers/superhuman abilities yet. Just your typical super spy stuff. No mention of any special surgery either in the premise reminder sequence either. I won't say that theory was completely off base as it could potentially come in later, but for now it seems they are not superhuman, just super spies.

I don't think anything's implied special surgery or anything, it was just a few viewers misinterpreting a scene where they're called "monsters" (presumably for their inhuman coldness and rationality) that happened to be juxtaposed with an image of them studying anatomy as part of their universal training.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
^Oh I know. Just trying to be generous to those who did.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I though this episode was merely okay. A bit too much of it was super spy hi jinx, dust explosion are nowhere near that powerful, he's lucky the german apparently can't use gun and throwing someone on the ground does not immediately incapacitated them. The reliance on amnesia seems entirely pointless, I can only assume it's more fleshed out and has a point in the novel. And the weird climax, I guess the guy just left with the girl and left them there??
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see how the other episodes play out in contrast to this one. We got a really good handle on Sakuma as a person before we delved into how he fits into this grand political game. I'm hoping we'll get to see if the other spies employ different methods from each other, or different specialties, and how that speaks to them as people.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
dust explosion are nowhere near that powerful

What makes you think that? They can level a building. People get killed by them every year.

It will be a pity if they go off on individual missions from here out, but I'm hoping that won't be the case. However, even if they do, I think I'll still enjoy this, if this episode is any indication.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
meiam wrote:
dust explosion are nowhere near that powerful

What makes you think that? They can level a building. People get killed by them every year.

You need way more than a bag of flour to level a building, a bag of flour will do maybe a small fire ball, it won't destroy a stone wall that's for sure.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
That would depend on how big the bag was. Since they said they were stockpiling it, I assumed more than a 5 lb bag from the grocery, but I think even that would be enough for a small room like that. It doesn't take much. This is "one hard hat full" (11 lb) of coal dust. Too much would actually hinder the explosion by upsetting the ideal dust to oxygen ratio. And in an enclosed space, the sudden expansion of the air from the fireball has to go somewhere.

"If such a dust is suspended in the right concentration within an enclosed area, a violent explosion can result. The force of such an explosion can destroy entire buildings and cause serious injury or death. Depending on the particle size and type, and the area of compartmentation during dispersal, a dust layer of only 1⁄32 inch deep (0.79 mm, about as thick as a paperclip) is enough to cause an explosion."
-- Combustible Dust Fires and Explosions

Believe or don't, I'm not going to get into another multi-page argument with you over this.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the review Jacob!
Really enjoying the series so far. Third episode felt a little bit weak compared to other two mostly because of the weird hypnosis trick and the whole “hit the amnesiac on the head second time to restore his memories” thing.
I was hoping to see an overarching plot that would tie all the spies together instead of "spy of the week" format. Don't get me wrong it's still a good show, just not as imaginative as i thought it would be.
History is not my strong side so i wonder how much i'm missing due to my lack of knowledge.
Quote:
I'm curious to see how the other episodes play out in contrast to this one. We got a really good handle on Sakuma as a person before we delved into how he fits into this grand political game. I'm hoping we'll get to see if the other spies employ different methods from each other, or different specialties, and how that speaks to them as people.

Yes, I would like to see radical differences in methods and decisions between characters. A little bit more focus on character development would also be nice.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
VoidWitch wrote:
I was hoping to see an overarching plot that would tie all the spies together instead of "spy of the week" format. Don't get me wrong it's still a good show, just not as imaginative as i thought it would be.
[...]
Yes, I would like to see radical differences in methods and decisions between characters. A little bit more focus on character development would also be nice.

I quite concur. If war takes its toll on the individual, espionage must do so as well, but this is something we have yet to be treated to. Nobody can find themselves calmly engaged in the sort of imbroglio shown in the latest episode without there being plenty to say of their psyche. It is perhaps deliberate that we are prohibited from learning who these agents really are, being forced instead to settle for seeing what they can do. Fortunately, there is still plenty to enjoy in absence of any particularly humanising qualities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
I had to LoL at this part:

"Do you guys have any weapons?"
5mins later- beats up Nazi- TOSSES GUN AWAY!?!?
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God that was stupid. Not to mention incredibly repetitious of the first episode where the guilty guy orders the investigation. Does anyone still seriously think this is the best anime of the season?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9