• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Some Manga Printed In Such Limited Quantities?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grico

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
For expensive manga the first step is to check multiple online sales sites. Some things on Amazon for $100 are $5 on half.com or ebay. I'd check all 3 to see what the real online market rate is. Used book stores and the like are often good for finding rare manga for cheap prices. Half Price Books stores near me often have lots of manga on the cheap and I've found some rare ones for good prices before. It is a search to find a cheap price for some volumes though.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Viz doing a lot of license rescues from Tokyopop? Well, I can think of Sgt. Frog, at least.

Also, the idea that there are a lot of unsold manga sitting in warehouses somewhere gives me hope that I can eventually find more of Cyborg 009 new at normal prices. Too bad Tokyopop never finished the series though.

lys wrote:
I've heard the "hundreds of dollars" listed for some books (on Amazon marketplace, etc) is just a result of computer algorithms gone out of control and may have nothing to do with what people are actually willing to spend on an OOP book: one seller's price goes up by some increment, then another's automatically goes up to remain competitive, and they keep cycling through until the price is way out there.

Is that how it works when it comes to multiple vendors selling something of highly collectible value? Instead of most other things where the price goes down to stay competitive, the price goes up? Or do you mean the algorithms do that automatically?

Triltaison wrote:
The thing that baffles me most is when it's the first volume in a series that's impossible to find for a reasonable price. For a good long while, Code Geass R2 was easy to get volumes 2-4 for about 3-15 bucks... But volume 1 has been over $100 for a long time for some reason. Another one is Magical Project S, where the second half of the series could be purchased for about $7-$15 and the first one... Well, here it is for $125. It just seems like the first volume would always have the biggest print run, so I have no idea why that ever happens.

THAT is a lot easier to explain than why a volume in the middle of a series is hard to find: I'd say for these series, there are probably a lot of people who want to start at the beginning, more so than the producers made, but a lot of people lose interest after the first volume. Thus, demand becomes high for the first volume but a lotlower for other ones.

Another possibility is that the first volume's price depletes a lot of people's budgets for the second, or they assume without looking that the second volume will be the same price as the first.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:06 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

At least for Viz manga, digital isn't an option for me since their app is region-locked. In contrast their print editions are stocked in local bookstores and comic shops.

This answer from (Viz) Shojo Beat's tumblr suggests that at least one of their titles (to be published this summer) will be available in the Philippines... and if one is, I would guess others are too. If there's a specific title you're after, contacting Viz could let them help you figure out how to access the digital edition, or at the least let them know they have an audience waiting to be served. I've heard that, for example, sometimes ebooks are unavailable to purchase internationally from Amazon.com (US site) but can instead be bought through a local Amazon storefront.

Thanks for the heads up.

So far I haven't had any problems buying Kindle editions from Amazon.com, but none of them were manga (mostly OOP science fiction titles, Like Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life and Others).
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Isn't Viz doing a lot of license rescues from Tokyopop? Well, I can think of Sgt. Frog, at least.

That's the digital Viz Selects, isn't it? Thing is, if TP didn't originally release the whole series (e.g. Future Diary), Viz isn't completing the series. Which, to me, seems pointless.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
Oh, it's only digitally? I could've sworn I've seen physical copies of Sgt. Frog at some Barnes & Nobles I've visited. If it's digitalonly, I guess they escape the aforementioned risk of warehouses of unsold copies.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
Not sure what you've seen, but as far as I'm aware, Sgt. Frog is digital only. Viz's last release for this series was its 20th volume, back in November 2015. So, they're still not in new ground, as TP apparently released 21 volumes.

I do wonder if Viz will start releasing material that TP didn't for these license rescues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3