• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I've not been feeling this series so far, but episode 4 was easily the best episode so far and showed promise, so it's a shame they've delayed things right at this point. Rena was reeking of desperation in trying to protect Yui and Abel was tossing her around like a ragdoll (that was really badarse lol). Rena's actually my fave character at the moment, she's a bit edgy, I love her chants and her dark powers. As the episode pointed out, Yui and Rena are trying to take on too much by themselves and they don't realise that those they want to protect can also help them. I liked the bridge repair moment and it assuring Yui that she needn't worry too much about her people.

Taking a page from Tia and Sara, Yui and Rena have to work together and form a contract if they want to use the Alecto to its full potential. They can't worry about each other's safety anymore, they have to stop putting it off and take the plunge and they've realised that. I also like that they were honest with each other about their worries.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first 2 re-aired episodes. Didn't notice much difference outside from a few additional shots in the cold opening.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5, the return of our show.

Yui makes a contract with Rena to officially become the pilot (which seems to imply her body now has stopped growing, among other unknown effects) the theme seems to hammer it in that it is about embracing consequences for one's actions, even if they are long term and unforeseen.

Circumstantially, it might be a decent time for Regalia as other Mech based series are wrapping up (assuming that the oncoming cour of shows somehow doesn't flood the scene with Giant Robot shows).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Circumstantially, it might be a decent time for Regalia as other Mech based series are wrapping up (assuming that the oncoming cour of shows somehow doesn't flood the scene with Giant Robot shows).

Second season of Iron Blooded Orphans is starting soon and that alone is quite the rival to go up against.

Glad to see Yui finally become a proper pilot and on top of that they revealed the secret to the whole country which is what I was hoping would happen.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

My memory was a bit iffy after it being a while since watching the first four episodes. I did actually load up the 4th episode, and mostly skimmed it again to remind myself. Not sure if this was the level of polish, but I am noticing that there is a good amount of polish now.

One thing I am confused of was the other girl Rena was talking in her head or something, I thought in an earlier episode there was just an evil looking version of herself. but now there seems to be some emphases of being a girl who seems quite separate. Am I remembering wrong or was that something they retconned with the reedited version?

The action sure was flashy, and there was some nice details like some characters shaking slightly due to various reasons. I would say it looks good.

Quote:

It will not have to fight with Kuromukuro then, but some of the implications in this episode felt a bit like the ending Kuromukuro has been finishing up with, that is spoiler[pilots who stop aging]. The second half did get my attention a lot. And looks like second season of BBK/BRNK is coming too, apparently starts up in a couple days after this post.

The big break has kind of waned my interest a bit, but hopefully it won't take much for my interest to be back.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
One thing I am confused of was the other girl Rena was talking in her head or something, I thought in an earlier episode there was just an evil looking version of herself. but now there seems to be some emphases of being a girl who seems quite separate. Am I remembering wrong or was that something they retconned with the reedited version?

That "other Rena" has appeared before. Rena confirms this episode that it's the mecha side of her.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
Ep 6
Ok, this episode more so than 5 feels like the animation staff made a fine tooth comb to make sure all the scenes look worthwhile, even the inbetween shots look pretty good.

That said, the episode focused to give the characters, and subsequently the audience, the Lore of the Regalia in particular the titled Three Sacred Stars.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

2000 years, Christ that is a long time. I wonder if that goes a way to explaining how those two are so carefree, your sense of worry can alter a bit if you spent the length of AD roaming around, but also why the sight that would give Yui pause of beauty would be just a drop in the bucket to them.

The mid air transformation was pretty nice.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

Well, it's a little hard to see where the story is going to go from here - unless Johann isn't really dead. Or, perhaps, the rest of the show will be about trying to find the lost inhabitants of Rimgarde. In any case, I guess the loli cuteness will soldier on.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
The only thing left is that Johann's actual plan was to unseal the "devil Machine" and having the Regalia girls synchronize with Kei was actually tied to it, if the final enemy isn't our new group fighting together against the devil machine in the finale, I honestly don't know where the show is going to go.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Good point. I was actually kinda hazy on what Johann's agenda was - other than being a giant dick.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I think that this episode did good work to tie everything that had happened before now, explaining the acts that seemed pointlessly aggressive earlier as well intentioned. And I think it also got quite emotional there with Ingrid recapping her experience with Yui's mother, I actually got a little teary eyed there like the others. And just when wondering what could happen with the plot, plot happened.

What is worse than a psychotic evil kid with a giant robot? spoiler[Lots of him].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was not happy to see the return of Johann - especially now that there are lots of him. I'm not huge on kid villains in the first place and there's just something about him that rubs me the wrong way. Mind you, it probably didn't make much sense to bring in a new big-bad with a handful of episodes left to go. Sigh. Why does there have to be a villain in the first place? Why can't we just sit back and enjoy all the loli cuteness?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
I don't like Johann much either, the guy has a personality that I'm not fond of.

It was nice to see Ingrid being more herself and in a dress this week though!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Finale:

I've seen a lot of shows with crappy villains, some of which were bad, some of which were still pretty good. But I don't think I've ever seen a show so torpedoed by its crappy villain as this one. How much time was spent focusing on this completely uninteresting character, letting him drive events, interactions, and motivations? After 4 episodes of beam-spamming and powerups, overcome with the power of friendship, I have to wonder: If this is what they changed to after a false start, what was the original plan?

And I had so much hope for the show in its pre-break run. The designs were neat, the choreography was visceral, the characters were at least interesting enough to move a plot forward. By the end, I don't think anyone was even reading what they wrote.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4