• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CLAMP's Cardcaptor Sakura Manga Gets New Anime Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Now please not let Toei touch CCS. We have enough with Dragonball, Digimon and Sailormoon. Childhood ruiner Mad
elior1

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Lycosyncer wrote:
With the manga getting a sequel with Sakura now being all grown up but also an anime sequel as well? Sign me up!

"first year of junior high school" is hardly "all grown up". It's pretty much a direct continuation.
from what i seen in crystal second season . it much better then the first season in terms of animation and story. so a squal can work
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Enh, despite being a huge CCS fan I'm pretty iffy on this. They're going through this phase where they reboot all these old franchises and few have really been a success. And a total remake just seems silly. The anime is perfect as it is and the "filler" isn't really filler when comparing it to, say, Naruto or Bleach. Almost every episode has a point. In fact blasphemous as this is to say I think the anime is leagues ahead of the manga in quality. The manga feels like a first draft and the anime the finished project.
Still I'm hoping this turns out okay.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I will only give the new anime (film or TV series) a chance if studio Madhouse returns or another high caliber production company takes the reigns. One of the best things about the CCS anime was how it still holds up visually. The episodic nature allowed the viewer not worry too much on plot and highlighted the art. I loved to take in the wonderful animation of Sakura capturing the Clow Cards. I rather not see the key release transformation in poor CGI like how season 1 of SMC had those awful CGI transformations.

Plot wise, I don't mind seeing a film with an older Sakura (not just the Tsubasa version) or redoing the manga in a 13-26 episode series. I just visually want the new anime to look great and not subpar work.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Can't be worse than the mess of a series that was Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle manga/anime.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Seeing this reminds me that I gotta get around to buying Madman's release of the TV series and the 2 movies.

I'm also one that hopes this anime project, be it an OVA, tv series or movie, is a sequel.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Can't be worse than the mess of a series that was Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle manga/anime.

Having never read the manga or seen the anime beyond the OVA's, I'm extremely thankful for the brilliant TRC soundtrack music, e.g. Dream Scape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31lYpJ4NMFI and from the Tokyo Revelations OVA, Kioku no Mori https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPK6zqnsFhA.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Not feeling it. I can't imagine what a sequel would be like, and if there's one classic show that doesn't need a remake, that's Sakura. Having read the manga and watched the anime several times, I don't think there's any need to redo the anime. Yes, it had content that wasn't on the manga, but none of those episodes felt like a waste. I'm worried we'll have another Crystal situation -though in hindsight, it seems part of why Crystal sucks is that the original manga is really dumb, which is not the case for Sakura, so maybe a remake could work? Eh, I'm just really skeptical about it, doesn't seem like either a sequel or a remake are something this series needs

The new season of Crystal is turning out better, but Sakura is another matter entirely from Sailor Moon. The 90s anime was made with care and a decently large budget for a kid show. It's not a situation where they'd be remaking something that was cheap and even more repetitive "X of the week" like Sailor Moon. I've never read the manga for Sakura, but the anime itself is a special piece of work, no wonder it's been out on BluRay for years already. I just can't see a situation where a new work could displace it visually, or for its soundtrack.

Then again, I was wrong about Yamato 2199, but that was a high budget movie-quality OVA series that added in more sexy women, more combat, and more modern dramatic pacing to a 40 year old series that was showing its age to where BD couldn't even help.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
I see a lot of people excited and a lot of people scared, but I'm a bit of both. I've seen tons of series have horrible reboots and late sequels, but I've also seen some really well-done ones, too. I still have faith in CLAMP and Madhouse, so assuming Madhouse is using this as a passion project like a lot of their anime recently, I have no worries. But as we know nothing about these projects yet, I'm still a little skeptical.

On the topic of series getting sequels they "don't need", there's always a positive and negative aspect to expanding something that already had a closed finish. Certainly, the potential to derail and mess with the overall setting, world, and characters that had been created so far is high, but with the right mindset, you can create something that adds to the experience of the original. Sometimes both. Legend of Korra may have messed heavily with the original Avatar: The Last Airbender series by doing things like spoiler[killing off Aang at a young age] and spoiler[contradicting the history of bending], but what it messes with, it makes up for in great character-building and setting up how the world has evolved since.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it is better than the first series, preferably Sakura not being afraid of strawberries this time around. CLAMP should do more Looney Toons-esque stuff, they can do comedy just fine.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
This is gonna be wonderful!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
More of CS manga and anime! Wow. I feel like my childhood is coming back. Cardcaptor Sakura is one of my favorite franchise so I'm happy to see more content but hoping they will put a good effort into whatever they plan to come up with.

hopefully this new anime series wont be licensed by NIS America since it pretty much short changed the original series by using the crappy animax asia dub version instead of doing a proper one like they gave toradora.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nautick

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
I remember watching CCS when I lived in Mexico, oh my childhood. Can't wait
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
Now please not let Toei touch CCS. We have enough with Dragonball, Digimon and Sailormoon. Childhood ruiner Mad

Why would they? All of those were Toei shows to begin with, while CCS was originally animated by Madhouse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Southkaio

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
I am so glad that CLAMP's Cardcaptor Sakura manga has a brand new anime project. So my hope that Studiopolis or Bang Zoom Entertainment will dub the original CCS is stronger now.
There is absolutely no chance that Sakura Tange will reprise the role of Sakura. She retired from the voice acting business several years ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4