• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Leaked Photos Give Potential Look at Live-Action Ghost in the Shell's Section 9 Task Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
A picture speaks a thousand words, alas.

Source
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
That.....doesn't look very good. Confused

I mean, why is Togusa so old? As others have stated he's supposed to be the youngest member of the team.
FtKaru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
msvitch wrote:
0nsen wrote:
This movie shouldn't be made.

What every live action hater says

Uh, you solved the riddle I guess? I feel like it's much easier to share his sentiment in a world where LA Avatar and Dragonball exist and where Hollywood only seems to adapt or reboot because they're afraid of new ideas most of the time. It also doesn't help that Hollywood rarely makes an attempt at respecting the source material outside of names and general plot other than saying things like "Oh yeah we LOOOVE the original, we promise you guys will too~"
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:
msvitch wrote:
0nsen wrote:
This movie shouldn't be made.

What every live action hater says

Uh, you solved the riddle I guess? I feel like it's much easier to share his sentiment in a world where LA Avatar and Dragonball exist and where Hollywood only seems to adapt or reboot because they're afraid of new ideas most of the time. It also doesn't help that Hollywood rarely makes an attempt at respecting the source material outside of names and general plot other than saying things like "Oh yeah we LOOOVE the original, we promise you guys will too~"

GiTS is so new to the US market that it might as well be a new IP here.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:

It's confirmation of the trend that Hollywood lost their creativity over a decade ago. Every movie is borrowed or licensed ideas from other countries or franchises.

Even when they do, make a film that's not a borrowed or licensed idea it's either a wee bit too similar to an existing work or no one watches it.

Gidam wrote:

Aramaki, not bald but it's Beat so i let it pass. What is up with not matching the hair styles in this movie?

Few movies based on animated works or the like match the characters hairstyles to their namesakes.....and that's actually not a bad thing for the most part.

Just imagine how stupid Goku's hair would look in Live action (and practically everyone else's hair).
And Your Little Dog Too

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
That.....doesn't look very good. Confused

I mean, why is Togusa so old? As others have stated he's supposed to be the youngest member of the team.

My guess is that he will change from being the greenest member of the team to being a mentor. The casting seems spot-on to me. All of them are Japanese but only the two mostly-human ones still look that way. All the rest are walking around in American-made cyborg bodies that never age or fade. The inherent weirdness of that is what this movie will be about, just as the original GitS was in love with the weirdness of Kusanagi, jumping naked from the rooftops and never blinking and tearing her own body apart at the end.

These photos give me hope that this will be a real science-fiction movie, like the original, and not a sexy-robot centerfold or a dull police procedural. The writing still might suck, but these photos look great. They creep me out, exactly the way the director meant them to do.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly happy with these so far, though I can't get over Boma's eyes. They just... look like they're over-inflated and about to pop out of his head like those creepy record-holders from Ripley's!

Hopefully that will be toned down. Aside from that, like I said, pleased with these preliminary shots.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I think that all the characters look just fine except maybe Togusa who's actor is a bit too old but other than that it looks like this live action movie is shaping up really nicely. Smile
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I still wanted Ron Perelman as Batou. This new guy...meh.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:51 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I still wanted Ron Perelman as Batou. This new guy...meh.

The makeup crew's assignment would read, "Do what you did in Pacific Rim."
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
hey hey hey you know what would have been a whole lot easier than trying to make a white woman look asian with makeup? ..........hiring an asian actress. -shocked gasps-

Like seriously what was the point in this if they were going to try and pretend she was asian anyway?!
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
How come Batou's eyes look normal? He has cybernetic eyes that look like goggles.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
{Edit}: I removed your rude and pointless insult. If you have nothing civil and on topic to say then just move on to a different topic. ~ Psycho 101
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
hey hey hey you know what would have been a whole lot easier than trying to make a white woman look asian with makeup? ..........hiring an asian actress. -shocked gasps-

Like seriously what was the point in this if they were going to try and pretend she was asian anyway?!
Then that would promote the stereotype all Asians look alike. I think the Geisha movie was hated because of that.

I'd rather go with Scarlet she has the star power to get the film out there.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
OwlBiceps wrote:

The makeup crew's assignment would read, "Do what you did in Pacific Rim."

And it would work. It's like Stephen Lang as Cable. Easy lay up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4