• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Comments on Escaflowne Backer Reward Flaws

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solarsun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I won't ever be backing stuff from funimation again. The lack of updates, the very deceptive backer tier wording (no wording on if the sets would be dvd/blu ray on any of the tiers minus the CE which stated we would have access to the original series dub on dvd). Went back on an exclusive (Original dub) and gave it to everybody. Gave exclusive looks to the dub and episodes we backed to convention attendees and gave us nothing.

Now this? Yeah I'm hoping I lucked out on my sets when they get here but here is hoping.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
From the sounds of this, it's good I mainly use them for streams. I could always buy some of their latest boxsets on Amazon or Fry's Electronics.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
I didn't back the Kickstarter but I did pre-order the Collector's Edition from Amazon and it's a day late. After reading this now I'm worried. I'd hate to get a set that's either damaged or in mono.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I did end up getting mine after posting this so I guess no shipping notification. I was lucky mine came in very good condition. Although like everyone my certificate says 10th anniversary and I didn't get my DVDs.

The same here. Fortunately, all that was damaged was the certificate (which I don't care about anyway). I'd forgotten that I was even supposed to get any DVDs, and I don't really care that they're missing. It's the Blu-rays that matter to me.

But seeing how the box was packaged, it really was a miracle that the actual collector's box withe the Blu-rays in it wasn't damaged. All they had to stop everything moving around in the box was some butcher paper, and there was nowhere near enough to hold everything in place, so it clearly had plenty of opportunity to shift around and get damaged. If they want to see how packaging is done, they should go order some stuff from right stuf or the anime corner store. They each package stuff differently, but both of them package stuff in a way that nothing moves, and it has plenty of buffering around it, so products are rarely damaged en route. Seeing Funi's packaging, I'm not at all surprised that many folks are receiving damaged goods.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
Another day, another Funimation fudge-up. Colour me surprised.

Seriously though, I am convinced Crunchyroll getting their subbed series is a blessing for the industry. Not so much for the dubs of course, it's going to be very rough for them I feel, and releases in the States are going to suffer too, but given the direction it's going in the subbed simulcasts will are far better than they ever did with Funi. Just recently we had the Danganronpa Debacle (not really Funi's fault mind, but they did a very poor job of notifying people, on one occasion telling people it would be delayed after it was already due for release, and on multiple occasions informing people about 20 minutes before it was supposed to start).

This is what happens when people keep giving free passes to a company and are happy to just take substandard service because there isn't anything better. Luckily now, there is something better, and the way Funimation is going it is only a matter of time before someone else overtakes them as industry leader in the USA. It's good that people are finally holding them accountable for their mistakes. If Funimation loses the hubris they currently have and work on getting better to fix these mistakes, we'll all benefit, and if they don't, it's only a matter of time before they're let behind.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:07 am Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
Another day, another Funimation fudge-up. Colour me surprised.

Seriously though, I am convinced Crunchyroll getting their subbed series is a blessing for the industry. Not so much for the dubs of course, it's going to be very rough for them I feel, and releases in the States are going to suffer too, but given the direction it's going in the subbed simulcasts will are far better than they ever did with Funi. Just recently we had the Danganronpa Debacle (not really Funi's fault mind, but they did a very poor job of notifying people, on one occasion telling people it would be delayed after it was already due for release, and on multiple occasions informing people about 20 minutes before it was supposed to start).
I recommend the following. You can't really get mad at them in that situation given how chaotic the production for Danganronpa 3 was.
https://twitter.com/PachiPortrait/status/777914461130727424 (Read the whole thread)
https://twitter.com/balanime/status/777937031938895873 (That rivals God Eater)
Quote:
This is what happens when people keep giving free passes to a company and are happy to just take substandard service because there isn't anything better. Luckily now, there is something better, and the way Funimation is going it is only a matter of time before someone else overtakes them as industry leader in the USA. It's good that people are finally holding them accountable for their mistakes. If Funimation loses the hubris they currently have and work on getting better to fix these mistakes, we'll all benefit, and if they don't, it's only a matter of time before they're let behind.
Highly unlikely because of the CR partnership. FUNimation is going to be distributing CR's releases in addition to their own, and Sentai is struggling to pick up as much as they used to with CR (who now pursues home video rights) and FUNi in the way. And everyone else is doing catalog titles, and those don't nearly as well as newer shows.

Though them having these issues still will hurt them. Even people I remember seeing defend them for just about everything are now attacking them over the issues they're currently having, they've fallen that much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dollssoulkirie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:15 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I did end up getting mine after posting this so I guess no shipping notification. I was lucky mine came in very good condition. Although like everyone my certificate says 10th anniversary and I didn't get my DVDs.

The same here. Fortunately, all that was damaged was the certificate (which I don't care about anyway). I'd forgotten that I was even supposed to get any DVDs, and I don't really care that they're missing. It's the Blu-rays that matter to me.

The original English dub from 2000 was suppose to be on the DVDs. However this was addressed in one of the Kickstarter updates. Funimation decided to put the old dub on the blu-rays too. If you look in the case for the first part of the TV series, you'll see two discs labeled as episodes 1-7. Disc One is the new Funi dub, Disc 2 has the original edited episodes from 2000. And the rest of the discs is suppose to contain separate audio tracks for the Funi dub and the original English dub iirc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:03 am Reply with quote
traffiktiger wrote:
On top of that my poster has blotchy va signatures, which, I believe, was caused by the posters being laid on top of each other before having a chance to dry. I believe this because the poster has partial blotchy signatures on the back of it. Is this normal? This is the first poster I have had signed, so I don't know if this is common practice.

Your post scares the living hell out of me. No, that is not normal. My set and poster have not arrived yet...dear god. O.O
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
My shipment arrived yesterday. Maybe I got lucky, but all was in order; the outer box was partly crushed, but the contents were undamaged. I'm more concerned about the audio issue reported on Code Geass R2 and what FUNi intends to do about it.
Loveless100

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Well this is annoying if this can happen with Funimation makes me worried about the kodomo no jikan Kicjstarter I backed but that's on DMP's head if they screw up still this has got to be really annoying.

Well....not to add concern....but I did the SAKIRA BL manga KS from DMP....

The quality of the items was on par with normal DMP stuff...but there was the promise of an autograph for the KS supporters at most tiers and none of us got it. Basically their excuse was "Well, we didn't want to hurt sensei's precious hands with 2000 signatures," but that's a lame excuse.

If you supported the KS with getting the books I don't think it's much of a problem because they're fulfilling out of their office and I had zero issues, but if you wanted more Japan-focused items (like autographs and what not) it's sort of a shoot in the dark, even if they did guarantee it.
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
dollssoulkirie wrote:

The original English dub from 2000 was suppose to be on the DVDs. However this was addressed in one of the Kickstarter updates. Funimation decided to put the old dub on the blu-rays too. If you look in the case for the first part of the TV series, you'll see two discs labeled as episodes 1-7. Disc One is the new Funi dub, Disc 2 has the original edited episodes from 2000. And the rest of the discs is suppose to contain separate audio tracks for the Funi dub and the original English dub iirc.

Which update was this? I only see Update 26 from August 8th, where they stated exactly what would be included for the KS CE backers, and that included the series and movie on DVD with original dub.

I got my package for the CE today and and the only thing missing are the dvds, like almost everyone else. The poster is blotchy and looks like a REALLY bad at home print job, but it will never hang, so it REALLY doesn't matter to me. My pendant is actually in pretty good shape, but sadly just another release trinket to add the ever growing box, along with the tarot cards.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:40 am Reply with quote
If I could play Devil's advocate for just one moment...

People are acting like Funimation are doing nothing but screwing up lately, but those same people are forgetting that roughly 90% of their releases don't have any issues at all. On the average, Funi puts out roughly around 6-10 brand new releases each month, and the vast majority of those are released without any incidents or complaints. The problems that are plaguing Code Geass and Escaflowne are the exception, not the rule.

Now, granted, these are definitely big screwups on Funi's part, and they certainly need to be held accountable for them. But people are letting their bias get the better of them and are using any excuse they can to burn the company down, when in reality their track record is better than most, considering the massive amount of releases they generally put out every month.
Dark Cloud Overhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I'm so glad now that I dropped my pledge for this and put my full support behind the Skip Beat kickstarter instead. This doesn't surprise me at all. I mean if they can't be bothered to fix such a simple issue as offering an English audio with full subtitles option on their menus for dub fans who are hard of hearing or just want to compare the dub to the sub script (something the Skip Beat kickstarter quickly addressed btw and committed to providing with no apparent problem), why should it surprise anyone that their quality control has gone down the tubes. I mean it just shows the lack of receptiveness to fans that their product concerns department has nowadays.

The packaging problems they have with their online store fulfillment is also something that's been known about for a while, so no real surprise to me there either; although, for most folks I can see why it would be since most of the kickstarter backers I would imagine have never bought from them directly before. Anyway, I hope these recent debacles force them to take a long look at and finally start addressing some of the problems they have developed recently in certain areas of their company.
nobodyhome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
While I agree Funimation has many releases without issues you should narrow down your sample size to what's actually applicable: The CE special sets, not their standard or LE sets.

Also, is it that there really aren't any issues with recent releases or that nobody is overtly complaining? I heard that the Suzumiya CEs also have issues (apparently with box defects and damage), that nobody seems to be really talking about. Last I heard from the online anime grapevine anyway.

Not to mention the quality has dropped in terms of materials and prints which I guess isn't a big a deal since a majority of people probably don't care too much about it. I care, but that's just me and I'm aware my opinion is a minority when it comes to that.

My question to backers who have received their damaged on arrival sets is:
Were your "damaged on arrival" problems due to poor packing in the box it was shipped in?

I ask that because based on my recent Funimation Store (not Kickstarter) purchase they choose not to pack boxes to ensure things arrive safely and any damage gets chalked up to they can't control what happens during shipping so their not responsible. The handling practices for parcels vary from region to region. While some may receive their parcels without incident there are those who will get damaged items and among those there are those who don't complain despite receiving a damaged item. Based on how my last order from them (not Kickstarter) was "packed" if the Escaflowne sets were packed similarly then it's no surprise they were damaged on arrival.

While I agree trying to tear down anything or anybody based on a bias opinion is deplorable, you have to keep in mind that they are still a business. If you focus on the facts and the facts still say they're slacking then it's likely possible they are. Obviously things need to be taken in context and with grains of salt as well, but just because there will always be somebody out there to buy something doesn't mean you've done your job to create a quality product.

That's just my opinion anyway and like I said above, take everything with a grain of salt. Come to your own conclusions.
stowrag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one shocked by the pricing of the sets? I don't have a lot of experience tracking the development of a release like Escaflowne (sorry I missed out on supporting the kickstarter), but I was happy to see it was coming back. I never would have expected to pay $40 ($55 SRP) for 13 episodes though. Shouldn't a kickstarter help offset the cost of putting something like Escaflowne out (that needs more investment prior to release) so they can still offer it at a reasonable price? The fact that fans already paid money to make it happen shouldn't be a reason to make it a premium item and milk fans even more money.

Cowboy Bebop didn't get this treatment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5