• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, November 21-27

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
It's no better than other ecchi shows that routinely get made fun of and mocked and derided by Western fandom,

Western fandom is not a creature with a single mind.
There are a lot of different people here with different tastes and different opinions.
Every show will have fans who deride it and fans who praise it.
It is just a matter of personal preference.

I cannot offer an opinion on the show in question here because I have not seen it, but it sounds like something that I might like. I definitely do like ecchi comedies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

There are some reasons why Keijo is flopping in DVD/BD sales. Some already spoke before by other people.

1º Is a sports anime but one that is not appealing to woman otaku fan base and male otaku are not that much into sports anime.

Are you sure that claim can be made for the latter overall?

I feel like there are aspects in creating a sports show with female leads that they haven't tried yet. Like maybe not have a goofy sports premise like Keijo. Or even get a character designer that specializes in slender, sexy cute designs like the guy who did Amagami or even abec and do real sports like a girls' gymnastics or track-and-field show.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:

There are some reasons why Keijo is flopping in DVD/BD sales. Some already spoke before by other people.

1º Is a sports anime but one that is not appealing to woman otaku fan base and male otaku are not that much into sports anime.

Are you sure that claim can be made for the latter overall?

I feel like there are aspects in creating a sports show with female leads that they haven't tried yet. Like maybe not have a goofy sports premise like Keijo. Or even get a character designer that specializes in slender, sexy cute designs like the guy who did Amagami or even abec and do real sports like a girls' gymnastics or track-and-field show.

Most of the success of Late Night sports anime are because of female otaku.

Looking at the best seller shows i would think that a serious sports anime will have even less success than Keijo with the male otaku, but if some crossover with sports and some fantasy, magic, action, romance, having a male MC or Yuri, maybe the male otaku will go for it.

But if Keijo is that unsuccessful on term of BD/DVD sales and no greater increase of manga sales. i don't see Late Night anime Producer Committees going to try sports anime aimed at male otaku some time soon.

And is a shame. Keijo is pretty good.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
DxD is a wish fulfillment power fantasy where one guy has several beautiful girls at his beck and call. If Keijo had one guy (be it a coach, a masseur, the Keijo school head instructor's son, whatever) with all these beautiful women surrounding him then it would have sold much, much better than it did.

What the hell is wrong with these guys where they need female main characters in submission to a cocky, perverted high school kid in order to enjoy a series? Why can't they just watch sexy girls have fun?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Watching it is one thing. Plenty of people watch Keijo be it on TV or streaming. However this column is regarding Blu-ray disc sales. If you expect otaku to spend $400 for the home video release and hundreds of dollars more in various merchandise for the show then there has to be some sort of draw for the otaku. As evidenced by its small BD sales, Keijo lacked this draw.
ConnormonCat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
I really thought Mob Psycho 100 would do better. Jojo: DiU aswell.

Ikr. They were my two biggest disappointments here. I know DiU didn't start strong in sales, but it's even sadder to see it didn't pick up at all, especially as it's one of my favorite parts of Jojo.

And I really hope Mob doesn't lose its chance at a second season, it was one of my favourite shows of the year and I really want that second season.
Does anyone recall if Mob's manga sales picked up during the show's run?
shadowbringer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
DxD is a wish fulfillment power fantasy where one guy has several beautiful girls at his beck and call. If Keijo had one guy (be it a coach, a masseur, the Keijo school head instructor's son, whatever) with all these beautiful women surrounding him then it would have sold much, much better than it did.

...or maybe because DxD is actually interesting with actual characters and plot while Keijo is pure fluff. Keijo isn't really memorable. I dunno where this phobia on ANN about plot mixing with fanservice comes from but most people prefer substance with their boobs.

personally I'm very stimulated by decision making (as someone who likes fighting games and shoot'em ups), and creative solutions to problems, while you might not be. That's fine, different people are more or less stimulated by different aspects. Just try to not be disrespectfool towards other people's preferences, as this gives them the right to be disrespectnincompoop towards yours as well.

I do hope that the BD/DVD sales increase later, it's not like they'll stay the same forever. I wouldn't expect an instantaneous increase in manga sales as well. To add to what Jonny Mendes said, both Keijo and its author are relatively unknown (the series started in 2013 and is currently ongoing); if japanese otaku choose to follow only a few series in a season, it's understandable that they might choose series from more famous authors (or sequels). Besides Yuri on Ice (which has a larger, different type of demographic supporting it), I don't think that unknown series (from unknown authors) tend to do well on their debut. Hopefully the anime boosts the source material's visibility, then the sales and popularity (the latter may also be a factor that can influence a japanese otaku's interest into acquiring merch). Also, I heard that the japanese otaku are gradually putting their money on mobage instead of anime, can anyone confirm this?
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:39 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
kazenoyume wrote:
Why does Western fandom pretend that Keijo isn't a horrible and embarrassing show. Good riddance to bad rubbish. I'm glad the sales are reflecting that, for once.

I'm surprised by how big the Sunshine drop is...

I guess you're right. I know few women that watch Keijo and enjoy it, but many women turned off by the fanservice. Will Keijo will be more successful if it's shoujo/josei and get rid of all fanservice? Considering Chihayafuru is a) josei sports anime b) featuring strong female lead. Its not like women get turned of with all female cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3