• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Armed Girl's Machiavellism TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
Now if they can get "Tsugumomo", my seasonal tradition of having at least 1-2 fan service-heavy shows will continue.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
Guess I'm the rare odd girl out, have zero interest in streaming and never will so I blind buy everything on bluray/dvd when it releases, doesn't hurt the fact that hundreds of blurays/dvd's later I've yet to regret a single blind buy purchase as I pretty much love every single anime I'm ever watch, If I think the cover on the dvd/bluray is pretty I have a perfect track record of liking the show! I've only streamed a single show out of nessecity because Crunchyroll was (Ironically though I know they paid for it) the only place that had the English dub of Free! S1 and I couldn't very well watch my copy of the Funimation S2 bluray without seeing S1.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It really depends on the person. Streaming has actually caused me to skip buying several shows, because they were shows I didn't feel I would watch more than once. If something is streaming, I really, really have to enjoy it for me to spend the extra money on a physical release. Some shows I've streamed, like Attack on Titan, I've enjoyed, but not enough to feel they need to be part of my permanent collection right now.

I have blind bought several shows, including recently Amagi Brilliant Park and Brynhildr in the Darkness, both of which I really enjoyed. Streaming didn't factor into my decision to buy them, but instead reviews, trailers, and clips did. Not to mention the fact that they were both from creators who's work I had previously enjoyed. That's not say that I haven't been burned by bad blind purchases, but I've been watching and buying anime long enough that my track record in that department is pretty good.

What's most important to me is what the home video releases includes, such as extras, the video quality, a dub, etc. Collector's and Limited Editions are always nice to see, and I will give more consideration to those. Believe it or not, somehow we all managed to decide what shows to buy back before their were a huge number of streaming services. Wink

I run a group of collectors and they too rely on streams when deciding to buy a show. One thing people forget is that streams can expire while physical copies last forever if you take care of them. One of the main reasons why I still buy Anime is because the streams won't always be around in the future.

Dude, I grew up in the era of VHS tapes and know exactly how things used to be years ago. Please don't patronize me. However, this is 2017 where streaming is the main source that people use to watch their shows or movies. Streams make or break a dub in the case of Sentai Filmworks, and if only a few people will use Anime Strike those shows are more than likely going to be sub only releases in the future.

I'm well aware that streams can expire, which is why I chose to buy so much of my anime. Not to mention, you don't have to worry about servers going down, slow speeds, etc. However, I'm not going to buy every single show just because the stream might expire. For instance, I would have loved to buy some of Aniplex's releases, but I simply can't justify paying $60-80 for one volume, when that same price will get me two regular edition Blurays from Sentai or Funimation, or a really nice collector's edition. Nor am I going to purchase a show that I will probably never watch again. Usually when I do check out a stream to help with a purchasing decision, I only check out a few episodes. The only one I've ever watched the whole way through was High School of the Dead.

Also, it's way, way too early to say what's going to happen with these shows in regards to their home video release and possible dubs. Sentai has said time and time and time again that online streaming numbers are only one of the factors they look at. Many people said Chivalry of a Failed Knight would never get a dub because it's simulcast was a Hulu exclusive. But due to the feedback of fans, Sentai not only dubbed it, but is also giving it a premium edition release. If you really think a show should get a dub, then do as people do now and contact Sentai and let them know what you think.

Not to mention, Amazon has been actively acquiring new dubbed content for Anime Strike as well. It's entirely feasible that they could want these dubbed for their service as well. After all, increased dubbed content would be a good way to differentiate it from CR. We just have to wait and see, and stop jumping on conclusions based on nothing.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Good for those who have Prime and Strike! and don't mind the extra fee.

But myself being in a place with no Strike! and no use for Prime(not that most anime titles on it would be available here anyway), I'll be watching this ripped, at my convenience, as well as other Amazon-exclusive titles I'm interested to check out... ...nooow that I think about it, I'm not too bothered by this 'exclusivity'. Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I'll be watching this ripped, at my convenience, as well as other Amazon-exclusive titles I'm interested to check out... ...nooow that I think about it, I'm not too bothered by this 'exclusivity'. Wink

Being a copyright minimalist, I have not as much as respect for big companies like Amazon crying foul to rips when Amazon has the $ to essentially bypass most region-blocks. They are a multi-billion dollar company yet the region-block card is still thrown.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3