• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Debuts Little Witch Academia TV Anime's 1st 13 Episodes on June 30

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
I checked the ANN page for LWA producers and it lists Trigger, Good Smile (figures), Toho Animation, and Little Witch Academia Production Committee. It's that last one that I'm unsure about. Who does that consist of? Is there not a chance that Netflix sits on that production committee?

Netflix would never be regulated to a footnote in a generic production committee when their logo is plastered all over their American shows, and they certainly wouldn't let it air on Japanese TV before their premier. Netflix isnt even mentioned on the official site's production page. I'm not sure why people always think this for anime airing on Netflix yet not for Crunchyroll or other stream services. The fact Netflix is errenously calling the first 13 episodes a season should show they have no idea of the production at all. They did the same with Smile Precure and Seven Deadly Sins.

-Stuart Smith
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that we're getting the first 13 episodes now because Netflix could have just waited for all of the episodes to finish airing in Japan and then streamed all 25 episodes at once. Smile
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
, so for a brief window there is a relative dearth of shows to watch

Uhm, no. There is no break in between anime seasons. Then show X ends, show Y will start airing in its place the next week. There's no dearth of shows like.... ever.

Panoptican wrote:
But in the end I think this is the best route for a show like LWA.

No, it really isn't. Anime lives or dies by it's fans reaction to it and a huge part of that is being able to discuss it with other anime fans as it airs. The worst thing possible for an anime is what Netflix is doing. By the time they finally air the ending, the show is half a year old. That's old news by anime standards. Anime fans have already moved on and the excitement is gone. As for everyone else using Netfilx, they aren't huge anime consumers to begin with. LWA will be forgotten much soon and easier because it was released like this by Netflix. That's just how anime watching is. Same thing happened with Sidonia, 7 Deadly Sins and Sinbad: forgotten. Sinbad had it even worse because of no fansubs.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
@DmonHiro Not all shows end the week before the next season. They definitely have some programming but there is a small amount of space in case something happens. Plus at the end of Fall, they usually have a break for Christmas and/or New Year's. Usually the gap is very narrow and there are still a few shows that go to the last week or more.
zfunk

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Now that we have a release date from Netflix we might as well speculate on the dub cast for the new characters, the characters that were introduced in the anime.

Well I think Todd Haberkorn would be my choice for Fafnir,

Robbie Daymond for Andrew

Cherami Leigh for Wangari

Those are all I have so far.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
That's just how anime watching is.Same thing happened with Sidonia, 7 Deadly Sins and Sinbad: forgotten. Sinbad had it even worse because of no fansubs.

Nah. I'm not familiar with the other two but it definetly wasn't the case with KoS. I had more discussion after Netflix popped it all down at once than whan it was airing because I didn't need to avoid spoilers.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
[Voice=Old Fogey Otaku]
[sound=rocking chair creaking]

[/voice]
[/sound]

*twitch*

mumble mumble mangled syntax...
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
I've seen no evidence beyond a smattering of interest for it in Japan, so its unlikely this project could have even been produced there on its own.

As of the most recent listing (first week of Vol. 2), it's selling over 2.5k on Blu-ray. Not really great, but also wouldn't say that's indicative of almost no interest in Japan either. There are plenty of shows every season that only sell three digits. I have little doubt that overseas interest (and Netflix's money) played some part in the TV series getting made, though there does seem to be some interest in it in Japan too.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Anime lives or dies by it's fans reaction to it and a huge part of that is being able to discuss it with other anime fans as it airs. The worst thing possible for an anime is what Netflix is doing. By the time they finally air the ending, the show is half a year old. That's old news by anime standards. Anime fans have already moved on and the excitement is gone. As for everyone else using Netfilx, they aren't huge anime consumers to begin with. LWA will be forgotten much soon and easier because it was released like this by Netflix. That's just how anime watching is. Same thing happened with Sidonia, 7 Deadly Sins and Sinbad: forgotten. Sinbad had it even worse because of no fansubs.

Another factor to consider is Netflix puts out far less content a year than anime does. If you only have a few shows to binge it might be fine, but trying to binge 30+ shows at once four times a year would be insane, and would oversaturate the market considerably, not to mention the inconvenience it would be for people at conventions like doujin artists who need to work year round and can't wait for a drop date when submission deadlines exist.

-Stuart Smith
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I'm just glad that we're getting the first 13 episodes now because Netflix could have just waited for all of the episodes to finish airing in Japan and then streamed all 25 episodes at once. Smile

By June 30th, all episodes WILL have been aired. And likely fansubbed.

What's the point Netflix? We've already watched the 20th episode and you're only offering the first 13?...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I hope Devilman crybaby is a different animal. Netflix needs an anime that is actually their product. I can only assume it's the companies in Japan that hold such a feat from happening.

Well, even if they are the main producers, for it to be their product, they would need to be the copyright holders.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
I found this article on Business Insider in which Netflix content Chief Ted Sarandos justifies the binge model by claiming that when people stream TV shows, they only watch one show at once:
Ted Sarandos wrote:
"If you decide tomorrow to watch 'Breaking Bad', you're going to spend
the next two months watching all of 'Breaking Bad' before you move on to something else," Sarandos said.

Source
Sarandos, maybe if you spent some time looking at the data from [i]every other streaming site (such as Amazon, Hulu, and, yes, Crunchyroll) you would see that its simply not true. People only stick to one show at a time when all the episodes are available at once, because there are so many episodes to "catch up on" that it would be overwhelming to watch another show. Otherwise, people have the patience to appreciate a variety of genres released episodically over a season, as any anime fan or TV fan could tell you. Actually, many of us prefer the variety and manageability of multiple shows to watch in 25-to-45 minute a week segments, and the discussion that they engender.
What bothers me most about it is the inconsistency of releasing some shows episodically in a few countries, but not all. It reminds me of Amazon Prime setting up a double paywall for anime in America but not Canada, or Viz getting International rights and only releasing a show in America--treat all territories the same when licensing a show.
zfunk

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Here is a simple solution Netflix, if you don't want to release the sub version of these episodes weekly as they air fine. Here is a simple solution, let a third party like Hulu or Crunchyroll stream their anime series weekly as they air temporary.

This might work for Netflix, the Japanese companies aren't happy, they are trying to get rid of pirate fan subs, streaming series episodes as soon as they come out in Japan on site like Crunchyroll was helping fight that and making fan sub less needed, Netflix is putting them back in business.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
As of the most recent listing (first week of Vol. 2), it's selling over 2.5k on Blu-ray. Not really great, but also wouldn't say that's indicative of almost no interest in Japan either.

The fact that LWA has a more family-oriented appeal might have something to do with this. Many parents know well that kids like to rewatch the same material multiple times and buy physical discs as a result.
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
Well I am hearing a rumor that there is going to be no dub yet, and the dub will come out when they release episode 14-25 in one go.

So what is Netflix is doing is beyond me. None of this makes sense, why not release episode 1-25 in one go if you are going to do that, or release episode 1-13 in April.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4