• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Six Underrated Anime Witches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Slashman wrote:
From what I recall, WCW went right up to the last published chapter of the manga, so there would have been a significant wait period before another season's worth of content was available. Weekend was the last arc in the manga at the time.

They may have animated it a little too early. I don't know anyone who's read read the manga so I have no idea how the story progressed, and if there was a decent enough chunk of content by the time the following year rolled around.

Basically the anime adapted up to chapter 27-28 and the OVA adapted chapter 29.

Currently WCW is up to chapter 59ish and the current arc is the who,what&why of Honoka&Ayaka forgotten memories.

Thank you for the breakdown. I'd like to see a second season but maybe the rate of content output by the author isn't high enough.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
I was partly expecting Dorothy from MÄR, but I guess no one remembers that.

That would have been a nice unexpected choice. I honestly wish I'd continued with it when it first came on the scene, but I didn't.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
DirtyCircle wrote:
II can't stand Shampoo and how she got listed is beyond me. I personally voted for Ukyo because I think she is the best female in RANMA, Akane aside. No one really was written to be much of a rival for Akane and it's clear she is the one but I just adore Ukyo and really wish that they had done more with her and had her as a legitimate challenge to Akane.
This man has fine tastes, Ukyo was definitely the best female love interest.
Rasparr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I only watched two of the anime mentioned here and I'm quite sad they need to be mentioned here. While I have no recollection of what the heck happend in Majimoji Rurumo (happens to me quite frequently with comedy Anime), I at least remember having a very good time watching it. Many laughs were had. Witch Craft Works was outright amazing, JC Staff did a great job and I love Ayaka and Tanpopo from the bottom of my heart. In fact, WCW is my favourite Anime from the Winter 2014 season, by far outshining the 15 other shows I watched during this season. I also pretty much forced this Anime on a German fansub group I'm part of because I was addicted to the original Manga back then. WCW needs a second season, seriously.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
This man has fine tastes, Ukyo was definitely the best female love interest.

There's the problem right there. Ranma is the "best female love interest", he's just not the best girl... it's why Ranma 1/2 scored so low on this poll, right? The best female love interest is the guy.

For the record, I'd pick Shampoo over Akane and Ukyo... in Ranma 1/2, Takahashi's third best series. She may be devious and single minded but as a warrior from a tribe of just women, she's a lot more normal than the other two girls. Honestly, she should look more like Ukyo and act like Akane.

And no, InuYasho wouldn't be first or second. Which reminds me... Kagome?
Sit!

Oh wait, forgot the "h"...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And no, InuYasho wouldn't be first or second. Which reminds me... Kagome?
Sit!

Problem is (since my earlier post didn't go through or I just forgot to Submit) it's the problem with Takahashi's current fandom:
She's now "The creator of Inu-Yasha", who also did Ranma, and then came back to do other things, like, um...Rin-Ne.
Thanks to Viz and AnimEigo, all pre-"Ranma 1/2" Takahashi seems to have vanished from all current anime generations' awareness. Which explains why even Kyoko was beaten by The Characters Fans Remembered From InuYasha. Yes, Rumiko actually did other series.

IY isn't particularly the greatest Takahashi series ever made--by a longshot--just that it's been hypnotized into a cheap young generation's consciousness by showing for free on Cartoon Network.
Which Urusei and Maison Ikkoku didn't, because their handlers were too busy hiding them away on private DVD.

I want--RIGHT NOW--a show of hands from voters who didn't pick Lum as best Takahashi female, because they said "Who's she?"
(And no, I'm not angry at them, I'm angry at Bob Woodhead.) Evil or Very Mad
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I love Tweeny Witches but I've never finished it. Gotta fix that some day.

Also enjoyed Kuromajo, though never finished it either..........
...Same with Witchcraft Works, though I was reading the manga moreso than anything else.

I remember thinking Magical Sisters Yoyo & Nene looked pretty cool when it was first announced but never actually saw it. It's release date kinda slipped past me.

Meanwhile, I laugh at how Magimoji was made by the dude who did Yowamushi.

Blanchimont wrote:
Anyone intriqued by this list should check out the Magic Tree House anime film.

I've been meaning to watch that for a bit too..

As for the poll, I'm not sure of all the stuff that's been announced, but I'm a fan of Fire Punch (it's so badass) so I voted for it. Also for Hanako-kun because 1. I love the Hanako myth & 2. my friend loves the series and I see them RT art of it so I'm always intrigued in what it's about.
What I've read of Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts was quite good so I'm glad it got picked up.

For the previous poll, I voted for Ran (Urusei Yatsura) because I love her most.

Last edited by harminia on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
Which Urusei and Maison Ikkoku didn't, because their handlers were too busy hiding them away on private DVD.

I want--RIGHT NOW--a show of hands from voters who didn't pick Lum as best Takahashi female, because they said "Who's she?"
(And no, I'm not angry at them, I'm angry at Bob Woodhead.)

I can understand your being upset with Viz. The last three or four box sets of Maison Ikkoku were limited, hard to find and unpublicized. Given their leaving other shows incomplete I suspect they were required by contract to release the whole thing.

On the other hand I'm not sure why the hate for Robert Woodhead. He managed to issue the entire TV series, all the OVAs and all but one of the movies. They were available at Right Stuf! and in some retail stores. There never was any shortage of copies. He issued notice a half year in advance (here on ANN) that the license was expiring. Near the expiration they got fairly inexpensive. Anyone who really wanted them should have been able to get them.

It has been over five years since AnimEigo's license expired. Reportedly it has been issued on Bluray in Japan. That tells me either no North American company wants the license or the rights holders are being unrealistic as to cost.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Alan45"]EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand I'm not sure why the hate for Robert Woodhead. He managed to issue the entire TV series, all the OVAs and all but one of the movies. They were available at Right Stuf! and in some retail stores. There never was any shortage of copies. He issued notice a half year in advance (here on ANN) that the license was expiring. Near the expiration they got fairly inexpensive. Anyone who really wanted them should have been able to get them.

Still, the fact that he's been doing Kickstarters for his old 90's glory-days titles like Riding Bean, a good ten years after AE turned its back on anime for "Shogun Assassin", has some folk worrying..."No, Bob. No. Don't even THINK about it..."
AE's problem was that they were a garage fan-company right at the point when the industry was moving away from garage fan-companies and becoming corporate. ADV learned the lesson and moved up, AE didn't...It was nice that Bob's Lil' Garage Shop managed to get UY onto sub VHS in the first beginning days, and it's admirable that he stuck with it for the whole fifty volumes on DVD, just in time to see himself become obsolete.

Quote:
It has been over five years since AnimEigo's license expired. Reportedly it has been issued on Bluray in Japan. That tells me either no North American company wants the license or the rights holders are being unrealistic as to cost.

Think it's both: The problem is that Japan considers it a "classic", but their parents' classic from thirty years ago--Licensors either want too much or don't know why anyone would want it in 2017.
Sort of like if an American company put Rocky & Bullwinkle on Blu-ray; Boomers and cartoon devotees would cheer, kids would shrug...Does that mean they shouldn't do one?

Outside of the somewhat temperamental and untrustworthy (ahemmaison) Viz expressing an interest in completing their Takahashi collection, most look at Urusei--and, please, good lord, let them NOT look at the unrepresentative first season--and think "Eww, the visual style is too 80's, modern fans wouldn't want anything so retro, just look at Lupin III!"
There are so many people to blame for not enough kids today ever having seen Lum in their lives, us disgruntled fans don't know where to start first. Mad
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Every time I see other posts shorten Witch Craft Works to WCW all I can think about is wrestling.

I'm still salty the show never got licensed here. I really enjoyed it from what I can remember.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Witch Craft Works is something I look back at with pretty positive outlook, I quite enjoyed it for a number of reasons. In one aspect I thought it was fascinating that it was like a yuri series where one of the girls was actually a dude. The ED is one of my all time favourites, and the action could be pretty fun.

I always felt that despite any hints of promise in Magimoji Rurumo, it felt like things on part of Rurumo kind of dragged it down. From her actual age and the like, she was a problem as a love interest.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:54 am Reply with quote
I do find "Reborn as a Vending Machine, Now I Wander the Dungeon" interesting just from the title.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
Still, the fact that he's been doing Kickstarters for his old 90's glory-days titles like Riding Bean, a good ten years after AE turned its back on anime for "Shogun Assassin", has some folk worrying..."No, Bob. No. Don't even THINK about it..."

I really doubt he is thinking about Urusei Yatsura and if he did has already dismissed the idea. To begin with, all the titles he has done a Kick starter on were ones where he still has the DVD license which likely gave him leverage on the Bluray rights. Also, if he couldn't renegotiate the rights for UY six years ago how would he afford them now? Riding Bean Bluray is almost ready to ship. If you want to speculate on what Kick Starter he will do next, check the AnimEigo website for what he is still selling on DVD.

Quote:
Sort of like if an American company put Rocky & Bullwinkle on Blu-ray; Boomers and cartoon devotees would cheer, kids would shrug...Does that mean they shouldn't do one?

Certainly, if they know going in that they don't have a chance in hell of making a profit. Why would any company do that?

Quote:
Outside of the somewhat temperamental and untrustworthy (ahemmaison) Viz expressing an interest in completing their Takahashi collection, most look at Urusei--and, please, good lord, let them NOT look at the unrepresentative first season--and think "Eww, the visual style is too 80's, modern fans wouldn't want anything so retro, just look at Lupin III!"

And I fail to see why that is Bob Woodhead's fault. Even back in the late 90s it is likely that attitude is why he was able to get the license in the first place. I suspect that if he hadn't we would not have a legal version even now.

My point is that there are no villains here. The Japanese licensors simply don't understand why their "classis" show isn't worth what they want. No US company has yet figured out how to make a profit on a license rescue. That is a shame but it is not an evil plot. Patience, no one thought that Legend of the Galactic Heroes would ever be licensed.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I that's problem with Witch Craft Works, was it was vehicle to promote the manga like most animes coming out now. I honestly like the show a lot, like the manga just the same as it shows more detail the anime glosses over. I do wonder why it never caught on and DVDs weren't issued, but I guess so many magic girl stuff out there and the main female character is so cold in someways throws off vibes I guess.

Hope their able to do a 2nd season but I'm not worried about it. I like Manga to continue.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Good to see some highlighting of Tweeny Witches, loved that show!

tcdelaney wrote:
Loved Tweeny Witches. Little Witch Academia reminds me of it in many ways - in particular in that both had unusual graphic and character design, and there's a natural innocence and earnestness to the characters in both that's either not present in most shows, or feels incredibly forced.

Completely agree with this vibe.

That feeling, plus the staff involved, was something I remember about why I backed the old LWA kickstarter. I think fans of one should definitely check out the other since they'll probably like both.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3