• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Conservative Comic Strip Mallard Fillmore Asks the Tough Anime Questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Though the mountains of criticisms of 'problematic' things in anime and Japanese media by progressives is hard to miss.

Sure, but for every one of those there's just as many conservatives complaining that a show is being too "politically correct."

I dont think I've seen any anime be called politically correct unless its a localization issue like the dub for Kobayashi.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
...Newspaper cartoons are still a thing?
Sneebs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Why is this relevant, at all? Anime isn't a new cultural force, it has little impact on mainstream society beyond young kids getting into pokemon (a largely non-partisan genre), and this specific joke neither comments on current political trends. The joke itself is unfunny (anime has no noses, haw!) and it fails to deliver any real punch on beyond an "authorities are incapable of uncovering mysteries."

I guess the ANN webcrawler had to pick up on something to keep the clicks coming in.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
I count at least three people saying "STOP GETTING SO OFFENDED" on the first page, and zero people getting offended in the whole thread so far.

invalidname wrote:
The conservative joke would be to say that the big bad government was rationing nose space, ever since the great Escaflowne Crisis of 1996.

that would require Bruce Tinsley to actually know something about anime, or jokes
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
[Sure you might occasionally get stuff like the weird nationalistic undertones in Attack on Titan and Mahouka, but the amount of people getting upset about that is extremely minor compared to the people who adore those shows. Most people either don't know about that stuff or, like me, they just don't care (Okay, maybe I care a little in Mahouka's case but only because it's a crap series that's not worth forgiving).

Except Attack on Titan and Mahouka have no nationalistic undertones, considering they're called "alternative history" and "fantasy" for a reason. Also, the Senkaku Islands dispute was in the news around Attack on Titan's peak popularity, and some South Korean IT magazine made up some conspiracy about it being propaganda commissioned by the prime minister.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3