• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Did Netflix Make A Decent Death Note Film?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Hearing that Deb preferred this version of L is good news to me. I enjoyed L from the original anime but let's stop pretending he was a perfect character. He was one dimensional. His eccentricities were fun, but they were also an extended joke that was ultimately very shallow in the grand scheme of things. Yea, he was laid back for much of the series (though he did have his moments of becoming emotional, like when he got in a physical fight with Light), but being a laid back weirdo is not the epitome of character development. L worked in the anime because his weirdness was able to be amplified by the animation medium in ways that often surprised the audience. No one can be that cartoonishly weird in real life. Without that, L was just a smart detective with zero personality, zero complexity, and zero depth (which would make him pale in comparison to say, Sherlock Holmes.)

They executed L's anime character almost flawlessly, but again, he was not a perfect character. If the takeaway is the Stanfield's L is a much more complete character who can't benefit from the ridiculousness of a cartoon character, then I think that is a fair tradeoff.

At least for me, another big part of why L was interesting to me was Alessandro Juliani's acting in the English dub. Somehow, his voice and his delivery suited L perfectly, while also sounding slightly distracted at all times, as if he was thinking of a hundred other things at once. It was an unusual casting choice (in a field full of Vancouver voice actors, they brought in someone fresh off of Battlestar Galactica), but it worked stupendously well.

That being said, yes, he was very much the same from the beginning of the series to his end. But I think that's because he was an antagonist. If Death Note was about L, he would've developed much more as a character, and Light probably would've been comparatively static.
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
I'm still perplexed why Watari got a Japanese actor despite the original character being an Englishman.

L is a mix of about three to four different nationalities, but he was anything but black.

Watari was not his real name, and I assume it was just an alias he selected because they were currently working in Japan. Unlike L, Watari wasn't the reclusive one and worked as his proxy. It would make sense that he would never go by one definite alias like L, because he's the one who always went out and about. If Watari did stick to one name, it would make it easier to potentially track the person closest to the most mysterious detective on the planet.

Since the movie still wanted to keep that name for the character, then just make the character Japanese because there's no reason an Englishman would be sporting a Japanese alias in America.

And about L, he's a fictional character. Keith is a good actor, and as long as he preserves the spirit of that character I love, then I don't care if he's black. I never liked L because he was white.
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
L and Light were never friends. They were trying to kill each other. Every interaction that they had with each other was part of an elaborate ruse or strategy to get the other off his game or otherwise make him vulnerable to further deception. The BL aspect was completely external to the story and was just fantasizing by fans of the series.

Hearing that Deb preferred this version of L is good news to me. I enjoyed L from the original anime but let's stop pretending he was a perfect character. He was one dimensional. His eccentricities were fun, but they were also an extended joke that was ultimately very shallow in the grand scheme of things. Yea, he was laid back for much of the series (though he did have his moments of becoming emotional, like when he got in a physical fight with Light), but being a laid back weirdo is not the epitome of character development. L worked in the anime because his weirdness was able to be amplified by the animation medium in ways that often surprised the audience. No one can be that cartoonishly weird in real life. Without that, L was just a smart detective with zero personality, zero complexity, and zero depth (which would make him pale in comparison to say, Sherlock Holmes.)

They executed L's anime character almost flawlessly, but again, he was not a perfect character. If the takeaway is the Stanfield's L is a much more complete character who can't benefit from the ridiculousness of a cartoon character, then I think that is a fair tradeoff.

While I don't think Death Note was perfectly written when it came to its characters, the one thing I wouldn't agree with is calling L one dimensional. If you focus only on his eccentric nature to go along with his intelligence, then you miss on the subtle details about L's characterization that leaves quite a bit to speculate on. Besides being a weirdo, L had plenty to say of the kind of person he was through his interactions with other people, and even small moments where he would open up a bit.

From the show, I always got the impression that L was a man of conviction, absolutely committed to living up to his prestigious title, but also suffered a lot in silence. The details of his upbringing, how socially awkward and oblivious he is, his decision to be so reclusive all the time, his qualms with making more morally unethical decisions in the name of the greater good without much hesitation, all paint a picture of what I read as a rather troubled man.

I feel as if L felt lots of times he practically carried the weight of the world on his shoulders at the end of the day. (this might sound silly and maybe I am now starting to read into it too much, but maybe his horrible posture was also some kind of visual metaphor for this. I mean, you could make that argument, right? I'd think it's kinda neat) He could never allow himself to be like everyone else because if he did, to him it would be some kind of detective kryptonite.

Now, maybe you might not see it, and I don't even expect you to change your mind about L, but I'm a big character person and I don't think my analysis of L is just pulled outta my butt. I like to think that the foundation for this is solid. He's not impeccably written, none of these characters are. There are things I would have definitely done differently, but I just don't think L is a shallow as you say he is here.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Its already too late for Deat Note to make it big in the west on the screen..., after series like Mr Robot (antisocial hero, fighting the system, with a mysterious character in the background and a sleazy rival, like L is the main character in Mr Robot and Light is the villan/rival)..
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:

Watari was not his real name, and I assume it was just an alias he selected because they were currently working in Japan. Unlike L, Watari wasn't the reclusive one and worked as his proxy. It would make sense that he would never go by one definite alias like L, because he's the one who always went out and about. If Watari did stick to one name, it would make it easier to potentially track the person closest to the most mysterious detective on the planet.

Since the movie still wanted to keep that name for the character, then just make the character Japanese because there's no reason an Englishman would be sporting a Japanese alias in America. .

I know it's not his real name, but the thing is, even in the manga, he used the alias in front of Interpol. So, your reasoning of "Watari" would make no sense doesn't apply. Not only that, "Watari" is written in katakana. It just sounds Japanese, but it's not written as an actual Japanese word. And honestly, since it's just the sound of the word, it can be used for anything and many people don't immediately figure out that the name may have a Japanese origin. Never mind that Watari was originally planned to be called "Shadow" by Ohba.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for a review where the reviewer doesn't mind saying that a movie adaption is "shit". Come on, if it's bad just say it's bad, you should be impartial. From what I understood from this is, that the movie adaptation once again isn't what all the fans want(faithful adaptation) but it has something that are better than the source. That's just bullshit.
When I say impartial, I mean, your are paid to sugar coat the adaption but you should keep honesty above it... This L is better than L in the manga!? No fan would say that man, even less you who went to a screening and say that the movie isn't that bad. Only a guy who's paid or a non-conformist would think that.

Last edited by Xiximaro on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
I'm still waiting for a review where the reviewer doesn't mind saying that a movie adaption is "shit". Come on, if it's bad just say it's bad, you should be impartial. From what I understood from this is, that the movie adaptation once again isn't what all the fans want(faithful adaptation) but it has something that are better than the source. That's just bullshit.

How is that? An adaptation can be not faithful at all and still be very well-liked. Happens all the time with movies. Not everything has to be for the existing fans. Sometimes, it's to bring in people who previous had no interest or had never heard of it prior.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:

How is that? An adaptation can be not faithful at all and still be very well-liked. Happens all the time with movies. Not everything has to be for the existing fans. Sometimes, it's to bring in people who previous had no interest or had never heard of it prior.

Of course it has, fans supported and made it famous in the first place, even the mangaka wishes for the same. Truth non existing fans matter, but they should come in second place. If the source material was good enough to make it world-wide famous, doing a faithful adaptation movie would make non existing fans like it too, that's logic.
But as always it's more easy to do a loosely adaptation... costs less and in case it flops the damage is kept to a minimum.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:

While I don't think Death Note was perfectly written when it came to its characters, the one thing I wouldn't agree with is calling L one dimensional. If you focus only on his eccentric nature to go along with his intelligence, then you miss on the subtle details about L's characterization that leaves quite a bit to speculate on. Besides being a weirdo, L had plenty to say of the kind of person he was through his interactions with other people, and even small moments where he would open up a bit.

From the show, I always got the impression that L was a man of conviction, absolutely committed to living up to his prestigious title, but also suffered a lot in silence. The details of his upbringing, how socially awkward and oblivious he is, his decision to be so reclusive all the time, his qualms with making more morally unethical decisions in the name of the greater good without much hesitation, all paint a picture of what I read as a rather troubled man.

I feel as if L felt lots of times he practically carried the weight of the world on his shoulders at the end of the day. (this might sound silly and maybe I am now starting to read into it too much, but maybe his horrible posture was also some kind of visual metaphor for this. I mean, you could make that argument, right? I'd think it's kinda neat) He could never allow himself to be like everyone else because if he did, to him it would be some kind of detective kryptonite.

Now, maybe you might not see it, and I don't even expect you to change your mind about L, but I'm a big character person and I don't think my analysis of L is just pulled outta my butt. I like to think that the foundation for this is solid. He's not impeccably written, none of these characters are. There are things I would have definitely done differently, but I just don't think L is a shallow as you say he is here.

I don't see the depth in L as he was presented in the anime. There were areas that they could have explored certainly, but that exploration never occurred. And I can't accept the explanation of L being the antagonist and thus his background wasn't explored. Plenty of antagonists get deep exploration of their backgrounds. All we know about L is that he was raised in some secret school for genius kids called Whammy House. That's it, plus him being an amazing detective weirdo. That is not character development. Yes, you can read into that whatever you want and create your own ideas for L from that set up, but the anime did little to nothing to explain L with any depth.

For example, they could have spent an episode showing us what L's upbringing at Whammy House was like. Was he a bullied kid? Was he a loner from an early age who hid his loneliness by being super eccentric? Why did he develop his obsession with candy? Was that due to something that happened to him as a kid? How long has he known Watari? Has Watari been a father figure to him? Does L not know who his parents were? Does he suffer at all due to his lack of parents? What drove him to become the world's greatest detective? We're there other options for him at Wham my House? Did he ever have any friends? What happened to his friends? How did all of this shape him into the driven justice-seeker that he is today?

We know none of this. You could make up some ideas on your own, but the anime never develops L. Like I said I love the character because the execution was so good that you couldn't help but enjoy his cartoonish antics. When L steals Misa's phone at the university and then acts all super weird picking up the phone as Light is trying to call her to have her kill him off, that made me rofl. The way he keeps surprising Light with his creepy sunken eyed stares in the middle of some random conversation is hilarious and effective for messing with him in the same way Columbo was effective in tricking criminals into thinking he was dumb when he always had their number.

But again, that was just all brilliant execution of a weirdo detective concept. I still think if you move past that, he was a shallow character. It's like the difference between Law & Order and the spin offs SVU and Criminal Intent. The main characters in the former were pretty shallow though executed masterfully. The main characters in the spin offs are given a lot of depth, as we see their family lives, personal struggles and backgrounds.

I don't know how much more we get from this movie about L, but that's what I am thinking about when I see Deb say that he is a more complete character in this movie. If we get more of that kind of development then I could definitely see this L being superior to the anime one.
IG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
When I say impartial, I mean, your are paid to sugar coat the adaption but you should keep honesty above it... This L is better than L in the manga!? No fan would say that man, even less you who went to a screening and say that the movie isn't that bad. Only a guy who's paid or a non-conformist would think that.

Or maybe the person actuLLY LIKED the film, and just didn't mind the changes.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:

Some people want anime to be mainstream in America. If that means unfaithful live-action adaptions, they will gladly accept those. It happened with comic books already.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
Of course it has, fans supported and made it famous in the first place, even the mangaka wishes for the same. Truth non existing fans matter, but they should come in second place. If the source material was good enough to make it world-wide famous, doing a faithful adaptation movie would make non existing fans like it too, that's logic.
But as always it's more easy to do a loosely adaptation... costs less and in case it flops the damage is kept to a minimum.

Are you really saying that Gus van Sant's Psycho, Hollywood's single most faithful adaptation ever made, is better than the movie adaptation of Shrek, which has almost nothing in common with the book it was based on?

I can also point you to an example in Warcraft and Watchmen, Hollywood movies that were catered very much for the fans that the general public hated. You're under the impression that what draws a fan into a work is what will draw everyone else in too.
IG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:

Some people want anime to be mainstream in America. If that means unfaithful live-action adaptions, they will gladly accept those. It happened with comic books already.

Yes, also this is not ike we had many good anime live action films . People at this point want the movie to be decent. Also every fan is different they were a lot of people who actually kinds like the idea this movie was different, and not the same
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:

Are you really saying that Gus van Sant's Psycho, Hollywood's single most faithful adaptation ever made, is better than the movie adaptation of Shrek, which has almost nothing in common with the book it was based on?

I can also point you to an example in Warcraft and Watchmen, Hollywood movies that were catered very much for the fans that the general public hated. You're under the impression that what draws a fan into a work is what will draw everyone else in too.

I'm under the impression that, if a faithful adaptation can(possibility) draw both the fans and the non existing fans, why not do it instead of a loosely adaptation that will mostly attract non fans(if there's the possibility, it's better to attract two types of audiences instead of only one, no)? If the source(manga) did attract non fans in the first place why can't the faithful movie adaptation do it too? Please don't twist my point of view.
Aren't we talking about anime here, why are you bringing comics? We can talk about them. What every comic fans wants is his favorite comic faithfully adapted. Yes they like the current Marvel movies, do you know why? Cause they are defeatists, because they think they know there will never be a faithful adaptation and they believe that crap(or decent movies) is better than nothing. That kind of thinking creates demand and because of it we have a Marvel Cinematic Universe, which translates too, "Sorry we can't adapt your loved comics cause we don't want to put effort in it or take risks, but since we can't admit that we created the MCU as an excuse".
Tell me one non comic fan that would prefer seeing Spider-Man highlight in Civil War being, stealing Captain America's shield instead of what actually happened in the comics, Spider-man revealing his identity publicly and switching to Captain's America side?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
What every comic fans wants is his favorite comic faithfully adapted. Yes they like the current Marvel movies, do you know why? Cause they are defeatists, because they think they know there will never be a faithful adaptation and they believe that crap(or decent movies) is better than nothing. That kind of thinking creates demand and because of it we have a Marvel Cinematic Universe, which translates too, "Sorry we can't adapt your loved comics cause we don't want to put effort in it or take risks, but since we can't admit that we created the MCU as an excuse".
Tell me one non comic fan that would prefer seeing Spider-Man highlight in Civil War being, stealing Captain America's shield instead of what actually happened in the comics, Spider-man revealing his identity publicly and switching to Captain's America side?

Maybe it's cause I'm also an anime fan, but I have higher standards than that, which is why I dislike the MCU. I know adaptions can be both faithful and good. Just look at most anime adaptions. Sucks nothing like that exists here for comics. MCU Spider-Man is a disgrace. A GoPro vlogging millenial who gets his suit and powers from Iron Man and is more like Tony's sidekick than his own hero? Total insult, even worse than sidelining Cap for Iron Man. I imagine they skipped Uncle Ben because Peter cares more about Tony than his uncle in the MCU.

Main problem here is Hollywood wants the money from the normie audience and wont settle for just modest profit from catering to fans like Japan does. Comics are niche. Manga is niche. But what if we make a movie that is loosely based on them, but ultimately is dumbed down for a general audience? More money potential. It all boils down to greed why we don't get faithful adaptions. Then again, how come Japanese television and movie audiences love Detective Conan, One Piece, Boku no Hero Academia, and all those other faithful adaptions but us westerners scoff at the mere idea of a faithful comic or book adaption and love to hide behind the 'it needs to be more accessible' excuse?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4