• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Violet Evergarden Anime Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Felicity dash wrote:

Thank god someone understands me. I mean seriously you guys are acting like its the end of the dam world. Which is childish. Really. And I wonder how many people are actually subscribed/use legal streaming anyways, because I bet at least 70-75% of you all use illegal streaming sites to stream/download anyways. Which is just being a hypocrite.

"Oh no I can`t stream my anime weekly! I`m doomed! Its the end of my world!" -via 99% of the people in this comment section.

"darn I won`t be able to watch my anime weekly, but I am patient and will be able to marathon the whole anime in just a day or two." -via 1% of the people in this comment section.

So people having different opinions than you makes them childish? You trying to incite a flame war? Accusing us of being pirates is pretty awful too. As I said in a previous post, to a lot of us more hardcore anime fans, this is our main hobby. We don't enjoy much else besides watching new anime. Having an anime held back for 4-6 months is garbage. Especially in 2017 when every other company is releasing them subbed within hours of airing on Japanese TV. Especially in August 2017, a full year after Netflix Japan streamed Kuromukuro with english subtitles on a weekly basis. They have the ability. They choose not to because for some reason they don't care about the most hardcore fans. Simulcasting anime is the standard. We don't want to binge it. We want to enjoy the weekly discussions with our friends in Japan, speculating and theorizing what happens next. We want to enjoy the content when it's truly new. I don't know why I'm bothering explaining this because you probably can't understand. I know people like me are a minority. People like me that have anime as our #1 hobby - that watch 25-30 anime a season.

But really, why do you care how we feel? Would it really bother you if they subbed it and released it on a weekly basis? It shouldn't. You can choose to wait and binge it when it's all over. I get no choice in this situation. Having the option to do either or is the best solution for everyone. Especially when they're already airing on Japanese Netflix.

Couldnt have said it better @Kougeru Netflix can just go and bite themself bunch of dickheads. I also really enjoy watchin anime weekly the excitment of what could happen next week and discussing the current episode is all part of the fun and being few months later just kills it all and you stumble upon tons of spoilers on social media can just go off from twitter and facebook then for thoose few months or any anime related forums because else youll sooner or later get a spoiler >_>
Slinkeeking

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
See the thing that annoys me is that people are here getting mad at folks for wanting to watch something weekly instead of binge watching. I prefer that because I actually do watch a lot of anime and I do use paid services. I pay for Funimation, HiDive, Crunchyroll and even Anime Strike. I'm currently watching 59 shows this season and I generally watch over 50 a season. Someone like me who does spend thousands of dollars on merchandise and hundreds on subscription fees is entitled to the opinion that whenever you come out of nowhere and disrupt a system of delivery that is the standard for the fandom to appeal to people outside of it then that is shitty. Why can't they release it weekly for the actual fans then the people who binge can just watch it when it's done like how it goes here? Also I'll even venture to say Amazon is better than Netflix because at least they show their shit weekly. They might have the worst communication with the community and they obviously don't care about the anime fans at all but I know I'll at least get to see my damn shows that week if it's airing. I'm not gonna wait 5 months for Violet Evergarden just like I didn't wait for LWA, Kakegurui, Fate Apocrypha, ID-0 or anything else. fudge em.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
DukeNukem3D0 wrote:
Seriously these people don't have any patience to just wait for spring next year, it's not that big of a deal
It is, actually. X number of anime air each season. We only have X amount of time to watch X amount of shows. A lot of his more hardcore anime fans watch everything as it airs. We don't have time for backlogs.

That has to be one of the most nonsensical things I've ever read. If Netflix shows an anime in Spring rather than Winter - it's not "backlog", it's "airing in Spring". It's complete bull to complain that you would have had time in Winter, but somehow you won't in Spring. If the show is important to you - you'll make time, regardless of the season it airs.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
It's complete bull to complain that you would have had time in Winter, but somehow you won't in Spring.

It makes perfect sense. It's pushing an additional show into the next season on top of the other few dozen somebody is already going to be watching during that period.

Cue someone telling people how they used to have to hike thirty miles uphill both ways barefoot through ten feet of snow to get their recursively copied VHS fansubs... People used to have to hunt and butcher their own food too, but they still have a right to complain if a restaurant undercooks their steak. Times change and expectations follow.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
It kinda sucks but at least we're all but guaranteed a dub
Random Name

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:

Cue someone telling people how they used to have to hike thirty miles uphill both ways barefoot through ten feet of snow to get their recursively copied VHS fansubs... People used to have to hunt and butcher their own food too, but they still have a right to complain if a restaurant undercooks their steak. Times change and expectations follow.
I disagree there is no way a steak can be undercooked...you should of went with chicken or changed it to overcooked.
flammie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:28 am Reply with quote
Those of you defending Netflix are missing the point. People who are used to watching simulcasts, within days or hours of Japanese broadcast, are not going to sit around and wait for Netflix to release this show 3 months late. They will have an alternative, downloading/streaming an illegal fansub of the show. If Netflix isn't interested in catering to this segment of the anime market, that segment will watch the show through other means, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

For example, Kakegurui and Fate/Apocrypha are currently the top two summer shows on MAL right now. This implies that even though Netflix hasn't streamed those two shows yet, a lot of people are still watching it outside of Japan. Netflix clearly doesn't care about this segment of the market, and the Japanese production committees are probably pleased at the large bags of money Netflix handed them, but long term, it will teach people that they really don't need to pay to watch anime, since they can download/stream it for free.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
DukeNukem3D0 wrote:
You people weren't complaining when they did the same thing with voltron and marvel shows, but when it comes to anime you act like it's the end of the world, grow up

The difference is that those shows were simultaneously released world-wide. No one was waiting for months while they streamed elsewhere. Not even remotely comparable. In fact, many here are thrilled with Netflix getting involved in that kind of original production, as am I.

Regardless of that though, your logic is incredibly flawed in yet another way. No one is obligated to be a fan of everything. If people care about some shows more than others, they are entitled to care more about how those shows are treated. I'm sure you have your own preferences just as everyone else does. Rolling Eyes
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
DukeNukem3D0 wrote:
Seriously these people don't have any patience to just wait for spring next year, it's not that big of a deal

The real question is why should I HAVE to wait. I don't care about Netfilx. If I can't watch it weekly from them I'll sail the seas. I don't care HOW I watch it, but I'm going to watch it.

Let me put it to you in a simple manner: I don't want to binge. I think binging anime is stupid, especially after it has already aired. If people want to binge, that's their right. But forcing people to wait 4-5 month is BS and I don't have to stand for it.

Netflix: saving fansubbing one license at a time. Not that I'm complaining.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
Listen, guys. I prefer binging over simulcasting for my own reasons, but let's not suddenly claim that a company going against the industry standard isn't a legitimate reason to be mad.

I'm probably going to skip this show now, like Fate/Apocrypha. I have enough series each season, and this license killed all the enthusiasm I had.

Thank all that is holy Ancient Magus Bride went to Crunchy...
Aydın Tekin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:17 am Reply with quote
F****ck netflix they ruin simulcast i am pretty sure they are gonna do the same with The Seven Deadly Sins (nanatsu No Taizai) anime. Why do you have to touch anime just stream only tv shows not anime.
And i don't understand why crunchyroll can't get Violet Evergarden Anime netflix didn't get it exclusively why can't they streamed too like they could stream erased with other streaming sites so why can't they with netflix?
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
I envy you guys having enough time to watch all those shows when they air. I hardly have time for one a day.

The Genius Baka wrote:
can we kill netflix ????

Except Netflix is doing more good than other sites.

Does Crunchyroll cater to worldwide audience? No. Some of their titles are available outside of US, but only with english subs.

Does FUNi dub anime in several languages with all dubs being simulatenously available wieh english versions? No, but I hope the Sony takeover will change something in this matter for once.

Stop being self-entitled pricks because for once you are not the ones who gete everything when the rest of the world have to rely on pirated or fansubbed content. You won't die from waiting few months for it.

Now, sure it would be nice if they decided to at least simulcast these titles in English, but honestly, is it THAT important? Back in the day we had none of that, fansubs took ages to make, and for a lot of people not much changed since then.

It's Netflix that saved anime for many, not Crunchy or FUNi.

TasteyCookie wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the hardcore fans (who are the ones who really care to watch shows week to week, and generally watch 25-30 shows a season) are the ones who pay the bills.

Not on Netflix. This service caters primarily to the general audience, and while that might change now with all those original titles, it's gonna take some time.

kotomikun wrote:
Imagine if the western half of the US had to wait a month to see new Game of Thrones episodes, while the eastern half could see them immediately--there'd be riots in the streets... followed by torrenting.

And now the show is simulcasted worldwide in dozens of languages and is still the most pirated show, so...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:48 am Reply with quote
flammie wrote:
Netflix: single handedly driving the most dedicated of anime fans to piracy.

Sadly I feel that's what a considerable portion of viewers will do.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
Netflix monopolizing on the Anime industry cannot be good especially since it takes them awhile to release the series. I'm fine with waiting so long since Netflix dubs every series they release but most Anime fans are so inpatient that they resort to piracy which is not good for the Anime industry. Sad
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:22 am Reply with quote
No wait for me. Will watch this on fansubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8