• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Air Black Clover Anime Starting December 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CookieXL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
CookieXL wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

Maybe there's a good reason for it.

Is there really? I think people are just blowing up because a show they dislike is getting attention.

People are just overreacting when it comes to BC. The series is fine and enjoyable. Does it have the Naruto vibe? Yes, but it's not a clone of Naruto, because later in the story it goes it's separate way, heck even the author himself makes fun of the Shounen genre in BC, maybe because of what happened to his other series that got axed, because that series is way different than what he does now with BC.

I mean I 100% agree, but the average person isn't that logic.

Ohh well. I already had a feeling that this series was going to get a lot of hate, even the manga was hated at the beginning, so i'm not surprised by it, actually. Razz
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Prepare for those Screams Americans!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGGH

The dub's actually pretty good, it's nowhere as awful as the Japanese version. Still a disappointing choice, considering what they could've gotten. They're pushing this thing way too hard. Simulcasting a 51 episode show with no real recognition is a horrible idea.
CookieXL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
CookieXL wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
I did say that Funi and CR are pushing this hoping it becomes the next Naruto, so basically they want it to be a mega hit series or something that becomes at least as popular as One Punch Man or My Hero Academia and I don't believe it will do so.

So promoting the series is suddenly pushing it to become a hit series? The logic is real.

This isn't any regular promotion, they're going all out, quite literally.

It's just a freaking promotion, doesn't mean they are pushing it. Even i think it's not the big next thing, it's just a normal shounen serie and that's it.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
FML.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
CookieXL wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
I did say that Funi and CR are pushing this hoping it becomes the next Naruto, so basically they want it to be a mega hit series or something that becomes at least as popular as One Punch Man or My Hero Academia and I don't believe it will do so.

So promoting the series is suddenly pushing it to become a hit series? The logic is real.

This isn't any regular promotion, they're going all out, quite literally. They want this to be seen as the new big thing.

I mean it obviously is for them. Just like they pushed Magus back then, it's good marketing. They would be dumber not to do it no?
DukeNukem3D0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
At least it’s better than fairy tail, besides isn’t mha has full of cliches as black clover in yet people love it and bc gotten a bit better since the introduction of the black bulls
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Black Clover is Okay, but frankly I'm hoping they put the new dub of Yamato 2199 somewhere on their schedule.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Holy cow the amount of salt in here rivals that of the League of Legends community. I don't think I've ever seen such an outrage from a Toonami announcement. I don't even like Black Clover, I frankly think it's just mediocre, but if you don't see the logic behind this pairing and the push that WSJ has been doing for the manga in Japan then let me paint you some logic...

It's really not that complicated, to the shareholders, BC is the next Naruto/Bleach/(Insert Shounen Jump title here) in it's current capacity. I severely doubt they think it's going to be a One Piece type seller but it's already trending well in weekly reader polls and its volumes are also selling fairly well. No one has any idea how successful it will be in 5 years but why not push it like they do the rest of their semi-successful WSJ titles? They obviously think it has newcomer appeal to which I would agree, the first season is already leagues better than original Naruto S1 and Original Dragonball S1. I could think of 200 shows that I would rather in that block, but if they are looking for a show to appeal to someone who doesn't usually watch anime, I don't see a fault in their choice (especially because it's the dub and not the ear bleeding sub.)

Besides, I guarantee the Japanese share holders were the ones behind the Movie Night episodes and the Toonami deal as well, not CR or Funi. And while it should have been MHA instead of BC from a business perspective, MHA was never scheduled for a 51 episode continuous block, which makes it much easier to schedule a long agreement with Toonami.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the supposed demographic for Toonami 18 to 49-year-olds? This is 12-17, tops. I haven't seen such a blatantly inappropriate target on Toonami or Adult Swim since Moribito aired on Adult Swim Action (and had the novel published by Scholastic at the same time).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
This may not be a ratings hit on Toonami, especially since the dub is already streaming on FUNimationNow. Nonetheless, I'm now planning on watching it on Toonami since I want to legally support it without having to watch it on FUNimationNow (I'm a broke college student who can't afford a monthly subscription to any streaming services).

Last edited by epicwizard on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Damn, so much negativism on this forum.
It's just a 24 minutes program that doesn't harm anybody.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Never seen Black Clover, probably never going to see Black Clover. That being said, five years from now the ANN forums are going to be full of trolls claiming that "Black Clover used to be great, but these past few arcs have sucked!"... just like with every other popular shonen that anime fans "with more refined tastes" initially thought would be too lowest-common-denominator to succeed with the Hot Topic crowd. Until then, Toonami, Crunchyroll, and Funimation will happily take the money of preteens who think it's funny that the main character screams a lot.

I have very little hope that the internet anime community will acknowledge that putting Black Clover on Toonami is a smart move when there are still tons of people who claim that Fairy Tail wasn't successful. Rolling Eyes

CatSword wrote:
Isn't the supposed demographic for Toonami 18 to 49-year-olds? This is 12-17, tops.

Supposedly, but considering the number of middle school kids I've seen walking around with Attack on Titan backpacks, I'd argue that this show fits squarely in Toonami's wheelhouse.

ultimatehaki wrote:
Have you seen the review ratings on cruchyroll lately? Never seen a show have over 100 one star ratings and have more 1 than 5 star rates.

Right now it has three more One Star ratings than Five Star ratings... hardly a significant difference.

Gemnist wrote:
FML.

I don't understand you kids and your dang acronyms, so I'm just going to assume this stands for Full Metal LOLchemist until corrected.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
NO NOOO NOOOOOO!!! Please If there is a God NOO!!!! This show is GENERIC CANCER! Im not even trolling like why this? No Kabaneri or ReZero but THIS???
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen the show yet, but really it's really a bad show? People are giving a really negative reaction to it.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
What? No World Trigger or Twin Star Exorcists? Rolling Eyes Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7