• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Stream Warriors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think I do remember discovering Sputnik7 right around the time I was downloading 160x120 RealMedia Dragon Ball Z episodes. Actually this was literally the very beginning of my anime fandom. Yu-gi-oh! was my gateway anime, so I was looking for episodes to download. My memory is hazy but it seems like at the time Sputnik7 only had a very few shows available (or maybe I just couldn't stream many with my crappy internet connection, or maybe I had already seen most of them elsewhere?). The only thing I remember seeing is Orguss 02. My internet connection was so bad that the streaming basically never made it passed the opening. I think "Uchū de Mita Yume" is actually the 2nd OP, but because Sputnik7 of course used the Manga DVD version of the video it was the only OP they used. It's already not a very good song, but hearing it over and over again starting and stopping constantly while my internet dropped out drove me insane and totally turned me off from watching Orguss 02 until years later when the Japanese BD came out.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Ah, online legal streaming. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my share of memories surrounding it. My first foray into it had to be [adult swim]'s on-site video service, where I watched a few episodes of Eureka seveN before their premieres (episode 50, I watched in its full uncut glory days before the infamous "Eureka Severed" incident), the final episode of Death Note, and episode 14 of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in a series of individual clips after my VCR failed to record the show as it usually did one week.

I remember that. Getting to watch episodes a day ahead of the air date was cool, and I'd usually watch it again the next day since the limited amount of legal ways to watch anime meant I watched a lot of re-runs, so I was surprised to see the end of the finale cut off. Unfortunately, it seems they eventually decided that they were competing with themselves since now you need login information from your cable provider to access recent episodes, and the only ones that do that are the big cable providers. My local one isn't among them, so adult swim streaming is useless to me.

Jet Stream seemed like a good idea, but it was always something of an afterthought for me, and the shows didn't really click with me at the time. I think I mostly used it to watch Naruto after it was dropped from Cartoon Network, although even that was a bit of a struggle since it was well into the filler by then.

Netflix was a slow start for me, too since the anime selection was limited, and streaming started out on a system where you got one hour of streaming for each dollar spent on a subscription. That didn't last too long though.

I wasn't surprised that Neon Alley closed fairly quickly. Viz DVDs would have inserts with them, so I checked it out, but I never subscribed since I didn't see much point in a linear service. They tried things like "catch-up" streams and then eventually switched to traditional streaming, but by then it was too late. I don't think it helped that the big attractions, meaning its shonen series, were already on other services anyway.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
If you want to talk about obscure anime streaming services, anybody remember the video game subscription service Gametap? In addition to games, they also had a service called "Gametap TV" that came free with a paid subscription. It really didn't amount to much; basically it aired a bunch of original animated shorts like Computer Lab and old episodes of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, but what was really interesting was they actually had the streaming rights to *one* anime: ADV's dub of Mezzo.

What's funny is that they never even got around to streaming the entire show; they stopped about halfway through once the series started getting a bit too racy. But from my brief Gametap subscription, I was able to learn about this show so that I could rent the DVDs from Netflix and finish the series. To this day the show's one of my guilty pleasures, and I ironically enough have Gametap to thank for it.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I've used crunchyroll since pretty early to its inception. There was absolutely no ceremony to their switchover to becoming a legal site; one day it had every series pirated imaginable, and the next day, suddenly it was all gone, they were squeaky-clean, and the only series they had for ages was The Tower of Druaga. Good times.

Hilariously enough, their desktop site was a lot easier to navigate and the video player worked much better when they were a pirate site as opposed to now Laughing Thank goodness for the apps.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I remember Gaia Online had a short-lived anime streaming feature around 2007 or 2008 where you could sample the first few episodes of select Funimation titles in a virtual movie theater while chatting/MSTing/throwing popcorn at the screen.
I remember this too. Anime hyper I remember watching clips of Tsubasa on there when they had their special promo event going on throughout the site (you had to find the feathers, like Sakura's memory feathers, and those you could trade in for promo items related to the other characters, if I recall that part right at least), although the problem was when you had too many people in there it got super slow and clunky and it kept dying or crashing.

Even now on Gaia, people still do wish for the administration to bring back the movie theater and do other promo events related to it and occasionally ask about it during the weekly Ask The Staff.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
If you want to talk about obscure anime streaming services, anybody remember the video game subscription service Gametap? In addition to games, they also had a service called "Gametap TV" that came free with a paid subscription. It really didn't amount to much; basically it aired a bunch of original animated shorts like Computer Lab and old episodes of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, but what was really interesting was they actually had the streaming rights to *one* anime: ADV's dub of Mezzo.

What's funny is that they never even got around to streaming the entire show; they stopped about halfway through once the series started getting a bit too racy. But from my brief Gametap subscription, I was able to learn about this show so that I could rent the DVDs from Netflix and finish the series. To this day the show's one of my guilty pleasures, and I ironically enough have Gametap to thank for it.

I didn't know they did video streaming. Then again, I only had a free account. The concept of Gametap seemed great, especially since I was in college at the time so it met my "fast internet, low funds" lifestyle, but its library never quite justified payment from me. If memory serves, the free games had expiration dates on them.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I wish Anime Sols would've survived on a bit longer. They're how I discovered Oniisama e/Dear Brother.

Viki is another basically defunct anime service (they still have an anime section, but with one title). They did an interview with ANN back in 2012 where they admitted to not really knowing what they were doing with anime, but, y'know...they were trying! They unfortunately never got Candy Candy. Sad
← I, too, await the angel on Earth who can reconcile Keiko Nagita and Yumiko Igarashi, at least long enough to get the rights into someone else's, loving, hands.

And, yeah, Anime Sols was here way too short a time. I remember going there every day.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks Mike for not letting the origin of CR disappear! I was using CR and Box-Torrents when the call came with the question of whether BT should accept backing from a major money source to go "public" as a streaming site. The purists gave a resounding "NO" so as not to be sell-outs and the rest is history. BT may one day be history too, though I still check in once in a while (now is BakaBT). Maybe one day you can cover the BT drama where Box was ousted by his volunteer mods when they found how much of the donations he kept and they took over the site (as it stands today)?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Thanks Mike for not letting the origin of CR disappear! I was using CR and Box-Torrents when the call came with the question of whether BT should accept backing from a major money source to go "public" as a streaming site. The purists gave a resounding "NO" so as not to be sell-outs and the rest is history. BT may one day be history too, though I still check in once in a while (now is BakaBT). Maybe one day you can cover the BT drama where Box was ousted by his volunteer mods when they found how much of the donations he kept and they took over the site (as it stands today)?

So that's what happened. I had heard that there was some sort of dispute that happened, but didn't know what. I didn't know that Box Torrents considered going legitimate.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
There's no way for Box to go legitimate. It worked for CR because they were a streaming platform. Box is torrent.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
There's no way for Box to go legitimate. It worked for CR because they were a streaming platform. Box is torrent.

Not necessarily. They could've set up a $1.99 an episode system like other download-to-own services.

On a related matter, does anyone else remember when ADV used to release torrents for shows with preview material?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3