• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Citrus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
KaiserNeko wrote:
I absolutely do not understand exactly how we're supposed to ignore the flagrant sexual assault in the first two episodes, considering the fact that they were markedly less pronounced and repulsive in the manga, and the narrative including them builds a love blossoming from outright inexcusable behavior that is handled in the most inept way possible by the staff.

Yuzu's reaction to this behavior is unhealthy, the excuses made by the characters for Mei's actions are either nonexistent or gut-wrenchingly ignorant of the severity of these issues.

If I were a fan of the manga before this, I'd be furious.

The anime has increased the voyeurism to a degree that objectifies the characters more blatantly than the FEMALE MANGAKA intended, and outright mortally wounds the material by turning overly-aggressive behavior into outright sexual assault.

It's. Trashy.

I actually like that this element is magnified--not because it gets me off, mind you. Any straight teenage boy with his penis in his hand could see that this was not meant to be a viewed as a consensual, "cute" kiss between two girlfriends (in the making). I can't speak for the intentions of the staff, and the framing is a bit risque. Nevertheless, the show gives us more than enough in aural and visual cues before and after to gather that Mei is an emotionally broken and confused girl who understands even less about what love and kissing are or mean than Yuzu does, in spite of the latter's internal monologues about never being in love or comprehending it.

Something could be said of the fact that Citrus stops short of calling Mei's early actions what they are, which is sexual assault at worst and harassment at best--a flaw endemic to the source and the adaptation. We can argue in circles all night about that and what kind of far-reaching butterfly effect it has on the social consciousness of anime fandom and society as a whole. But we're not, because what can also be said is that we at least get the impression that what she did, her mentality--all of it are wrong, and the scene, ironically featuring two cute girls lip-locked, is characteristically ugly. It was uncomfortable for all of us because it was supposed to be--because it ought to be.

While I'm on that topic: As much as it pleases me that there are quite a few people here who are appalled by the molestation so far, can we please stop impulsively reducing it as poor fan service attempts? I get it: It's [expletive] anime and it has a very poor track record with this, to the point that the cynicism is hard to beat back, but it would be nice if we could break away from that for two seconds to at least try to understand what any of this even means. Issues like this deserve more of a conversation than, "Blegh! More rapey cock-pandering! I'm outtie!"

This has certainly been more than I was expecting out of a show about which I was apprehensive upon its announcement. I was fully prepared for either a montage of S-class fluff with copious amounts of baiting and no direction, or an equally meaningless show-case of exploitative eroticism suggesting that it should have been a hentai instead. It has scant elements of both so far, to be sure, but it's trying on a narrative level beyond them that makes the central relationship a tad more believable than others in spite of the contrivances that led to it. I highly doubt that Citrus is going to revolutionise the delivery of yuri in media: It's still playing on the but-we're-both-girls trope and I doubt it's going to give us much in the way of an accurate depiction of what it means to be a lesbian in a hetero-normative society. Still, I regard its approach as a romantic drama that takes itself half-way seriously as a sign of progress from an incremental perspective. Yuri fans know damned well that we need it.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
zensunni wrote:
Christopher Farris wrote:
While Mei and Yuzu have technically been physically intimate for longer than they've been "related" through marriage

How so? They didn't even MEET until AFTER Yuzu's mother had married Mei's Father. They couldn't possibly have been physically intimate before they were step-sisters! And I think it is very clear that Mei, at least, knew exactly who Yuzu was from the moment she showed up at school. After all, she knew about her father's marriage and that she was moving in with her new step-mother. There's no reason to believe that she also didn't know about the fact that her new step-mother had a daughter. At the very least, she would have found out when Yuzu was introduced to the class because of her last name. (Of course, the real question is why none of the other students in the class wondered about the fact that she had the same last name as Mei? Is it really a common name?)

I believe he's referring to the fact that Mei had her hands on Yuzu's buttcheeks a good deal before they were introduced as new sisters, not that the marriage hadn't taken place yet. But it is a little confusing, should have caught that.

Yeah, but I never took that as anything remotely sexual. That was purely DISTRACTION. She was looking for her phone and using the groping to distract Yuzu from figuring out what she was doing. In Mei's mind, that was merely doing her job as student council president. (After all, she has never had FEELINGS for anyone other than her father, at that point, including the people who think of her as a friend. She's pretty much emotionally void.)

EDIT: ALSO... do you think a girl as smart as Mei didn't know that the new girl in school on the DAY SHE'S SUPPOSED TO MOVE IN WITH HER NEW STEP-MOTHER AND STEP-SISTER was said step-sister? Seriously?
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the review and its statement that this was a fairly compelling and well-executed episode for its tropes, but for fudge's sake; I wish Mei would stop kissing people. Like, I get that it's her token animu edge gimmick at this point, and I stand by previous claims I've made that she does this because she has problematic ideas about love and intimacy, but no; you don't "take back" a "stolen" kiss by forcing a kiss on the thief!

Bleh!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I swear, I was ready to rock my head when Matsuri took off her headphones, and that music she was listening started to play in the background which made me think we're getting an unique ending song. But alas, that wasn't the case.

I am quite anxious who the peeps at FUNimation cast for Matsuri because I'm not too keen of the Japanese "evil loli" voice. Yeah, it's same type of voice in the drama CD, but still it sounds a little forced.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 pm Reply with quote
"After making us dislike Mei for so long"

Dunno what show you've been watching. Mei's been a likable character since episode 1.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
I was hoping they make Yuzu's headbutt have more impact. I don't know, it look like a tap to me.

TheOtakuX wrote:
"After making us dislike Mei for so long"

Dunno what show you've been watching. Mei's been a likable character since episode 1.

It really depends how you like your "dark, brooding" shoujo archetypes. But there is no doubt Mei is developing slowly from her initial appearance which could heighten her likability for some peeps.
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:55 am Reply with quote
The issues...They're coming from INSIDE the relationship! D:
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As Citrus heads toward its apparent finale, this arc's most notable factor has been its surprising degree of levity. There are still a lot of confused teenage emotions flying around and plenty of scheming, to be sure. However, compared to the infamous whirlwind of the show's establishing episodes and the manipulative maelstrom of the Matsuri arc, this Kyoto storyline hews much closer to the standards of typical romcoms. That might even be welcome to some viewers after so much emotional exhaustion, but it does draw a distinct shift in what the audience might have come to expect from Citrus.

Totally agree which is why this arc was rather contentious among manga readers, and it made me worry this series could end relatively softly compared to the crazy schlocky beginnings. spoiler[Though if they could really nail the ending like in Vol. 4 of the manga, I'd say it's worth it. But MAN, pray for a S2 because that's where Citrus truly hits its stride.]

On the plus side, at least this arc can be watched "easily" in its animated form compared to waiting 2 months for the next chapter (this was before Yuri Hime went monthly).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Three strong episodes in a row have done a lot of good to a show that seemed bent on self-destructing. I hope episode 12 delivers a solid and adequate conclusion.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Hehe, I'm satisfied and was quite surprised they added in another kiss that wasn't in the manga. It's a soft yet adorable ending. Though I figured spoiler[they wouldn't show Harumin's sister at the end as that would have been an evil cliffhanger of sorts.] Even to this day, I too am still amused how Citrus how it ended up now compared to the beginning.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
In the end I liked Citrus. It had some hiccups along the way, but the strong last arc managed to make me see the show in a better light. It earns an overall B grade from me. The anime ended at a decent stopping point, but it would be nice to see another season.
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
I've been a big fan of the manga since Seven Seas began publishing it, and I'm satisfied with the adaptation. More than satisfied, even, since it largely made the worse parts of the manga better. Case in point being this final arc, easily the low point of the manga, still kind of the low point of the anime, but definitely better.

Also, these reviews and the analyses within have given me an even greater appreciation for a series I already loved, somehow. I don't know how you do it, but I appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3