• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
GeGeGe no Kitarō - The show is nicely animated and they have done a good job of modernizing it but like most Yokai shows it expects the audience to be familiar with Japanese folklore. I think that outside of Japan it will be lucky to be one tenth as popular as Dragon Ball Super. I will give it a few episodes to see what the show is like but episodic Yokai adventures are usually not my type of show.

Umamusume: Pretty Derby - The show is beautifully animated but it does have a few issues. The Trainer feeling up Special Week was an outdated joke that came right out of the 1990's and even in the context of the show it didn't make sense since he didn't know that she was going to Tracen Academy. Besides that though the story was good even if Special Week having two mothers felt a bit random.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
So, Umamusume, is the show P.A. Works decides to do after Sakura Quest? I can't help but ponder that this is where we have ended up, yet I will probably watch it. It does "look" good after all.

Magical Girl Ore, was funny, and Gegege no Kitaro did leave a good first impression.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
If you have nothing of actual value to add to the thread PFdaCIA, as in discussion on an actual review and not just your own personal opinions of the reviewers, then just save your breath. We're not going to turn this into some OT debate on the reviewers themselves.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:22 am Reply with quote
alot of bad shows again it seems

for some reason i still watch killing bites which has nowhere near the polish of keijo
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:49 am Reply with quote
Just watched Gegege no Kitaro. Is that a catchy OP or what? The lyrics say sing along, and I'm sure I will be in a couple of weeks. Very Happy It looks good and the story seems interesting, so I think I'm in.

I agree that it seems like a children's show, but if they were to try to air it here, the guardians of morality would be flipping their wigs over a tiny naked man whose head is an eyeball and a kid who carries an umbrella with a severed leg as its handle...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
Last few seasons have been terrible.

GeGeGe no Kitaro (2018), they have tried numerous times to bring this back. You really got to be in a mood for this show. Its gonna take some explaining, by then people don't care.
Ore based on a web manga. Not for me.
Uma Musume from a mobile game, bottom of the barrel/splinter under the nail kind of show.[/b]
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Last few seasons have been terrible.

Great job on not making that objective as all heck. Rolling Eyes Just because the last few seasons may not have had shows that you personally really enjoyed does not make them terrible. Honestly, why would anyone go to such extremes on here?
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:29 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Just watched Gegege no Kitaro. Is that a catchy OP or what? The lyrics say sing along, and I'm sure I will be in a couple of weeks. Very Happy

Catchy enough to last 50 years. I'd find myself humming it at random, even before the new series was announced.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:50 am Reply with quote
I must not be watching the same uma musume as everyone else. Maybe some minor spoilers:

Firstly, i have no knowledge of the mobage. The only thing i saw was the trailer and the key visual. The key visual shows Special Week and Silence Suzuka, and the trailer shows many horse girls. Okay, so those are the characters i’m going to get to know over the coming weeks, cool.

Now, i didn’t come into this with the idea to look at the practicality of it all - the macroscopic aspects such as the girls’ intigration into society, etc. I’m more interested in the relationships between the girls. Special Week first sees Silence Suzuka as a sort of goal, in addition to her goal of becoming best in Japan. All these girls have goals - they’re not doing it for other’s entertainment, necessarily, but to find their own self-worth, to test the highest limit of the highest stage they can compete on. I especially felt, at the end of episode 2, that the sport and competitive part (running, mindsets of the competitors) of it all is well done.

As for the girls’ eductation - they are in the beginner class. They all aim to move to higher classes (this was explained in episode 1). We don’t know what subjects are taught in the higher classes, heck we don’t even know what their schedule looks like and what subjects they have (something we’re never completely aware of in any school anime). I wouldn’t decide by myself that that’s ALL they ever learn.

For the two moms part - it’s a reversal of the typical ‘mother-father’ duo. Where is the father? Heck knows. But what’s important is putting another woman in the important child-raising role.

Back to Special Week and Suzuka. I was looking forward to how their relationship will unfold - and there’s something satisfying in an ‘as i thought’ pattern. I mean, if you like these type of friendships and seeing them develop, seeing: how Special week opens up to Suzuka, how Suzuka is asked to take care of Special week, and how Suzuka slowly becomes less of a goal and more of an equal (as shown in the OP)

To continue, we have to address the elephant in the room, we have to address the trainer: He feels the muscles’ strength in Special week’s legs, gets appropriately kicked. The girls in team spica also don’t go easy on him for his antics. I thought this might appeal to some wierd reverse-power fantasies, but that’s not what i’m here for. His core-muscle training excercises are a bit wierd, but that’s worth 3% of total run time. Also, his training did help in the match at the end of ep. 2. But what sold him a bit to me though, is that, if he was simply an insert for the male audience, he would have gone to give Special week her number, and so be in a position of gratitude. Instead, he gives it to Suzuka, who then strengthens her bond with Special Week.

As for the idol part - there’s no denying the popularity of idols, so it’s not completely outside the realm of ‘what can we put in this to make it sell?’ Perhaps there is malicious intent, but looking at the country of origin that comes from its own set of societal ideas, that’s a seperate debate. But i put my faith in the growth of the girls’ relationships with each other, as that part is something that is treated as undeniably human.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
I tend to enjoy absurd comedies and I like things that play around with gender, so I kind of hate how I agree with the general consensus on Magical Girl Ore. It had a couple of moments where I laughed, and the clear callbacks to some of the most famous magical girl shows are executed well, but a lot of the humor also fell flat for me. Some of the jokes felt... too predictable, in a way? Like "yeah, if you have this premise, this is the most obvious joke you'd use" when unexpected events would work a lot better in this set-up.

That said, there are parts of it I'm curious about, it has potential, and Mohiro in particular made me laugh. I think I'd prefer more blank airheaded love interests to just completely blank ones! And if that upcoming cast list wasn't just an April Fools Joke... I definitely will continue watching it.
Random 21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Just noticed that the guide page says there are 6 writers contributing, but there appear to be 7. Is this a typo or something else?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
Just noticed that the guide page says there are 6 writers contributing, but there appear to be 7. Is this a typo or something else?

Lynzee won't be contributing to the guide for the most part, but she caught the First of the North Star premiere at Sakura-con and had it ready to go in advance. So that leaves Theron, Rebecca, Nick, Paul, James, and myself.
青白

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Fist of Blue Sky's major appeal was seeing another Kasumi Kenshiro beating up cartoonish villains in an over-the-top fashion and the romanticized depiction of friendship. The anime instead focuses more on the plot of the original manga (which was weak to begin with) instead of the manga's original appeal, which I believe is the worst decision they could have made in producing this show.
Random 21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Random 21 wrote:

Lynzee won't be contributing to the guide for the most part, but she caught the First of the North Star premiere at Sakura-con and had it ready to go in advance. So that leaves Theron, Rebecca, Nick, Paul, James, and myself.

Alright, good to know, thanks!
Yazu13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not liking this theme of old, cherished series getting crappy 3DCG anime. First Berserk, now Fist of the North Star..........just don't bother making them into anime if you're not going to put any effort into it. Yeesh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 25