• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Cast, Staff, Streaming for New 2019 Fruits Basket TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
I'm hopeful for the Funimation cast to reprise their roles, but mindful that the author might insist they don't.

Takaya has no say in English casting. Besides, from the get go, Funimation doesn't even share Daichi's vision in casting decisions, which is very apparent when you listen to Yuki and Ritsu's voices, which sound NOTHING like their JP counterparts. The only recasts I see happening are Laura Bailey and some of the VAs that are no longer in the Eng VA scene.

Additionally, it is important to note that there's been several cases that the Funimation dubs are immune to major changes in the JP cast; examples include D Gray Man: Hallow and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

I doubt it'll be any different here - why go with a brand new Eng cast when a lot of the originals are still readily available to reprise? Sounds very petty to me - but I'm pretty sure only the original JP cast gets axed, and the Eng dub will be unaffected. Takaya doesn't even know English well enough anyway, so it's not like it's any of her business.

Imagine having to approve of any and all foreign language casts simply because you're the original author....... it doesn't roll like that. Hell, manga authors don't always have a say in casting choices even in their own native tongue. Obviously, it's different in this case, since Takaya wanted to flush the old series down the drain, but it's not her place to fumble about in the English language adaption, if you ask me.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:24 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Laura's come back for roles like Maka in Soul Eater Not!. The reason I hear when it comes to Laura, Travis, or Tory, and others coming back is scheduling. Their agents often have them booked for games and the like. Laura definitely loves the idea of coming back to some of her old roles she's really loved to play.

I'd recommend fans retweet this news to her so she at least knows to keep an ear open if she's interested in coming back.

That would be cool, but I'm not expecting it. Laura has had scheduling conflicts with other things that weren't on a simuldub schedule and presumably would have been easier to work around, like Persona 4 Dancing All Night or Dragon Ball Super. Ashley Burch had to drop out of Steins;Gate 0 for scheduling reasons after about halfway through the series. It's still doable, but I'm not going to be surprised if it doesn't happen.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
Inverti Herikawa wrote:
SnowWarren wrote:
I'm hopeful for the Funimation cast to reprise their roles, but mindful that the author might insist they don't.

Takaya has no say in English casting. Besides, from the get go, Funimation doesn't even share Daichi's vision in casting decisions, which is very apparent when you listen to Yuki and Ritsu's voices, which sound NOTHING like their JP counterparts. The only recasts I see happening are Laura Bailey and some of the VAs that are no longer in the Eng VA scene.

Additionally, it is important to note that there's been several cases that the Funimation dubs are immune to major changes in the JP cast; examples include D Gray Man: Hallow and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

I doubt it'll be any different here - why go with a brand new Eng cast when a lot of the originals are still readily available to reprise? Sounds very petty to me - but I'm pretty sure only the original JP cast gets axed, and the Eng dub will be unaffected. Takaya doesn't even know English well enough anyway, so it's not like it's any of her business.

Imagine having to approve of any and all foreign language casts simply because you're the original author....... it doesn't roll like that. Hell, manga authors don't always have a say in casting choices even in their own native tongue. Obviously, it's different in this case, since Takaya wanted to flush the old series down the drain, but it's not her place to fumble about in the English language adaption, if you ask me.

A good example even though different companies and different situations where the Japanese cast was replaced while the English cast was almost intact because scheduling or no longer working. Digimon Tri the original cast for digimon were replaced while the dub kept half of the original actors.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:35 am Reply with quote
I just hope this gets four cours at least. A full adaptation will have a lot of material to cover.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
Dragon_Kaiser wrote:

A good example even though different companies and different situations where the Japanese cast was replaced while the English cast was almost intact because scheduling or no longer working. Digimon Tri the original cast for digimon were replaced while the dub kept half of the original actors.

Exactly. That's why I prefer Digimon infinitely in English, not only because a lot of the Eng VAs came back to reprise, and also because the Digimon just sound more convincing in English. Anyway, this ain't a Digimon thread, so I'll just stop myself for now.

We'll see if I'm right in Funimation trying to keep most of their original Eng cast in the new series in a few months.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Being deeply invested in and promoting the Fruits Basket reboot is exactly the kind of thing Funimation needs to following their split with Crunchyroll, to convince people to sign up for $5/mo of FunimationNow.

You could be right here, I’ve always avoided Funimation until now, but this could make me subscribe for a bit anyway. I’m still sad the Crunchy/Funi partnership ended.

I am happy they are rebooting this, it’s been so long I’m glad a new generation will get to enjoy it. I will pull this out and rewatch again before the new one, but I don’t think I’ll be too sad seeing the choices they made for the voices, they seem pretty solid. Overall, I’m pretty excited to see how this one goes. I really liked the first one though, as well as the manga, so it’s hard to think it’ll look too different.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
I recall FMA:Brotherhood having cast changes in the Jp dub, but retaining the entire cast for the English dub minus Aaron Dismuke for obvious reasons. (and Maxie Whitehead sounded nigh identical to him anyway)
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
Hoping like mad that the stars align and the original dub cast can reprise their roles. That anime holds such dear memories for me and I felt they really captured the characters.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Hoping like mad that the stars align and the original dub cast can reprise their roles. That anime holds such dear memories for me and I felt they really captured the characters.

Same here.
Fruits Basket is one of the rare occasions where I prefer the English dub, so I hope and pray that the original cast dubs it.
(I feel terrible for saying I already have misgivings about the new art style, however I do. So I at least hope that the voices are right.)
kariocean2004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
I wonder if there going to recast Akito in the English dub since a gender was confirmed?
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I’m so excited! Fruits Basket was one of the first Shoujo manga I read growing up and what got me hooked on really angsty and atmospheric anime stories. I was content with the first adaptation but it’s amazing to finally see the rest of the manga finally get adapted! Though I’m wondering how the comedy will be adapted in the current animation style. Rewatching the first one gave me a nostalgic feel with how they handled the comedy scenes that I feel like I don’t see often anymore.

I’m curious if they’re goanna have episodes starting form Vol. 1, or if they’re goanna pull a Brotherhood and rush past the material that was already covered in the first anime. I’m hoping for the former.

And I really wish they’d bring Laura Bailey back. I believe Tohru was her very first major role in the anime business (correct me if I’m wrong), and personally Tohru and the FB dub wouldn’t sound the same if it didn’t have her. Same thing without Jerry Jewel for Kyo and Eric Vale for Yuki (both who are still at Funi and 100% will be reprising)
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful news! I got unexpectedly nostalgic upon seeing this news and reading the author's comments.

I'm pretty much expecting most of the dub cast to reprise their roles, at least 3 of the main 4, Laura is a big question mark as pointed out. Still, I wouldn't mind if they tried to do something similar to what Takaya insisted for the Japanese version.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm here to offer an unpopular opinion: I actually didn't quite like the original Japanese cast, so this replacement is actually welcome news to me. (I do know the original cast are all big-names and respected, I do like them in their other roles, but not Fruits Basket.) Besides, I love Zakki and Yuuma, this is honestly excellent news to me.
Spooky Blades

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I cant wait for this sequel! but man no Yui for Tohru?! damn!
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
starlightshine wrote:
I'm here to offer an unpopular opinion: I actually didn't quite like the original Japanese cast, so this replacement is actually welcome news to me. (I do know the original cast are all big-names and respected, I do like them in their other roles, but not Fruits Basket.) Besides, I love Zakki and Yuuma, this is honestly excellent news to me.

I like the original cast, but I also think the new cast is perfect. Zakki and Yuuma as Yuki and Kyo will be awesome. Manaka was wonderful as Teresa in TNFiL and totally charmed me as Chibi in Kakuriyo. I think she’ll make a great Tohru. And of course Nakamura will be an excellent Shigure. (Here’s hoping he brings Sugita along, perhaps as Ayame?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7