• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Brian K. Vaughan to Write Live-Action Gundam Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crowjack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:48 am Reply with quote
BKV is a excellent all around writer. Almost all of the things he has done have been good if not stellar. He has experience writing comics, graphic novels, books, and tv scripts. I have faith that he can write a very solid Gundam movie script. Maybe one that is a good standalone movie that couldbe expanded on and start a new franchise. His comic Y The Last Man is easily in my top 5 series of all time. Saga is also way up there also. Ex-Machina was a great story. He created the Runaways and while he was writing it it was alot of fun to read. It stood out from alot of other comics at that time. All the comics by him that I have read that he has worked on till the end have been amazing. They left no dangling plot threads, all the characters were fully fleshed out, the story pacing never felt rushed or drawn out for sales, and the endings never left me feeling cheeated. .Pride of Baghdad is also great and somewhat based on real events. People seem to forget what a phenomenon Lost ws because it went of the rails at the end. But Vaughan wasn't around and working on that anymore so not his fault. This seems off to a good start. Just need a good budget and director now. Would absolutely love to see a Y the Last Man tv series. Its been in the works for awhile now.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
I wish they went with someone who had actual experience writing movies, but the reaction seems to be positive online. This could be good, could be bad. I'm more interested in the final treatment, the actors, and the director though. Movies go through rewrites with multiple people all the time.
Xe4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
Vaughan is my all time favorite comic book writer, so as someone who isn't even that into Gundam or mecha stuff in general (although as with anything exceptions exist), this immediately piques my intrest.

Will be interested in future info on the project.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
This is because of Ready Player One, isn’t it?

Yes.

And because Legendary has Asian co-owners, which is why the American half got so pleased with themselves that they got to do a Godzilla '14 sequel with Ghidrah in it, so they could pretend to all the fans that they knew that character, too.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:12 pm Reply with quote
At the risk of being contrarian, Warren Ellis also had the credentials of a successful comic writer and his adaption of Castlevania for Netflix was extremely inaccurate to the source material and not very good. Just because someone is a successful comic writer doesn't mean they can make good movies or television, nor does it mean they are good at adapting existing properties. This is still a Hollywood movie at it's core, not a small auteur project where Vaughan has total control over everything. I don't expect it to be that faithful or great.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
At the risk of being contrarian, Warren Ellis also had the credentials of a successful comic writer and his adaption of Castlevania for Netflix was extremely inaccurate to the source material and not very good.

Yeah, but was it bad for things that actually make anime bad or bad because the plot wasn't identical to a NES game from the 1980s?
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Yeah, but was it bad for things that actually make anime bad or bad because the plot wasn't identical to a NES game from the 1980s?

I personally thought the first season was promising but the second season was frustratingly boring. Warren Ellis lost all the interest in the main trio that was introduced in the previous episodes and instead of developing them we have to endure repetitive arguments in Dracula's castle.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

If you ignore the inaccuracies, you're still left with an oddly paced series that relies on edgy and crude dialog and seems to sideline it's main characters a lot. Its not a terrible show on it's own, but usually the point of an adaption is for people to see a work they enjoy in a new medium, and when the adaption is so far removed from the source material it begs the question of why they didn't just make it an original production instead. Ellis turned a series about holy warriors of the church fighting evil demons into an Atheist talking point about how Christianity is awful. It doesn't really make sense, and Igarashi said about as much himself last year at the Bloodstained panel at SXSW when he seemed confused by some of the decisions of the Netflix series. He specifically disliked all the changes made to Sypha in particular to fit the new anti-religious narrative.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

If you ignore the inaccuracies, you're still left with an oddly paced series that relies on edgy and crude dialog and seems to sideline it's main characters a lot. Its not a terrible show on it's own, but usually the point of an adaption is for people to see a work they enjoy in a new medium, and when the adaption is so far removed from the source material it begs the question of why they didn't just make it an original production instead. Ellis turned a series about holy warriors of the church fighting evil demons into an Atheist talking point about how Christianity is awful. It doesn't really make sense, and Igarashi said about as much himself last year at the Bloodstained panel at SXSW when he seemed confused by some of the decisions of the Netflix series. He specifically disliked all the changes made to Sypha in particular to fit the new anti-religious narrative.

Strongly disagree. But that's because your persepective of main character is not what i'd call main characters. Team Belmont was never the primary focus of the show, it was always about Dracula and his interaction with the world around him. Everyone else is a supporting character meaning they need far less focus and the show knows this and plays into it by giving each sides ensemble cast plenty of time.
Oby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:59 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
At the risk of being contrarian, Warren Ellis also had the credentials of a successful comic writer and his adaption of Castlevania for Netflix was extremely inaccurate to the source material and not very good. Just because someone is a successful comic writer doesn't mean they can make good movies or television, nor does it mean they are good at adapting existing properties. This is still a Hollywood movie at it's core, not a small auteur project where Vaughan has total control over everything. I don't expect it to be that faithful or great.

Well, a good writer with great track record might not be a guarantee of excellent result, but it sure as hell is a good start.

Psycho 101 wrote:
While I love Vaughan as a writer and comic artist simply having him writing the script doesn't guarantee success. It's a good first step, but a shitty director and bad actors can ruin even the best scripts. In terms of visuals I don't think Gundam would be any harder to do than other blockbusters Hollywood has done. The real thing to watch for is who winds up directing it, and then who they get to star in it.

Good scriptwriter matters a lot too. J.A. Bayona was a great director and he directed the hell out of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (which you can see in the movie), but a profoundly idiotic script by Colin Trevorrow & Derek Connoly sadly dragged Bayona down to the abyss (in terms of quality, not box office).

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
I really hope it is an AU, not so much out of concern for parlaying something like MSG into a (single?) live-action movie, but that it would be less potentially-confusing for an audience to just simply watch a film with a new story from the ground up, rather than one with a bunch of crammed-in content. Also, I would imagine it would be much more relaxing both for someone like Vaughn to craft something with less narrative restraints like with an adaptation, and for producers to not worry about fans dumping of the film and its faithfulness (and thus potentially impacting its hype). Fans are used to alternate universes and takes on the franchise, so someone coming up with something new might actually be more welcomed than derided.

.....Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a contingent of Gundam fans who hate most of the AU gundam series set outside of UC. Plus as it's an adaptation it's going to open itself up to criticism regardless.

Those are just UC elitists. The franchise would've never survived this long or become as successful as it is now if Bandai/Sunrise only cater to those elitists who hate most of what the franchise has put out just because it's not UC. Gaining new fans is important and the people behind the franchise is aware of that. That's why they created independent AU series as gateway shows for beginners who want to jump into the franchise without being confused with all the timelines and chronology of UC. Of course, not all UC fans are elitists. A good number of UC fans are open-minded and can enjoy some AU too (me included). This might be surprising to some people but AU fans actually far outnumber UC elitists especially if you combine the number of fans of Wing, SEED, 00, IBO & GBF (yes, there are people who started following the franchise with GBF, and they f**kin' love it).
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
I just want it to be a war movie in space. Plus I hope they adaptation newtypes into something a bit less Dragon Ball and more realistic, like a sixth sense or intuition. I appreciate what the anime is trying to do but I personally think that the franchise is better when the newtype things aren't moved into psychic territory.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
I’ll just go and say I don’t think an AU will be THAT big a deal when one of the more popular entries in the US is G Gundam and its pure unadulterated insanity.

Just make it a space war movie and for the love of God don’t make it an AGE adaptation.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I’ll just go and say I don’t think an AU will be THAT big a deal when one of the more popular entries in the US is G Gundam and its pure unadulterated insanity.

Just make it a space war movie and for the love of God don’t make it an AGE adaptation.

It'll be based on Wing, if anything.

I don't really trust Hollywood to do Gundam right. Anything involving war or the military is not going to be very nuanced. Critics would screech at any kind of "both sides" message.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:44 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
they’re gonna to cast Tom Holland as Amuro.

What have you started?

Chris Pine as Char Aznable:

Oh, I thought that you meant Chris Pyne: https://youtu.be/jWa0WmMo-1Y
SayuriUliana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:27 am Reply with quote
Good writers alone don't a good movie make though, since it has to go through the director's hands in order to be realized. That said, if this guy's as competent as claimed, at least it should be able to carry a good amount of the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4