• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, bilibili Establish Partnership for Joint Anime Licensing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
So at the very least, i suppose this will mean legal streaming for stuff like Million Arthur, Circlet Princess, Caretaker of Sunohara-sou, and whatever else Bilibili hasn't shared with the rest of the world
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
So many wild takes. I don't think Crunchyroll is done as a result of this. The thing I am actually worried about is censorship because Funimation is dealing with a company from China.

Would that really be a factor though? They may be jointly acquiring anime licenses, but that doesn't mean it'll be like Crunchymation where each company gets an exclusive benefit (sub for CR, dub for Funi). It'll probably be both get Japanese, then each gets a dub in their respective countries. With that in mind, China will go full-censorship and Funimation won't.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

It was obvious that it was CR who took bigger hit from the CR-FUNi fallout given that they lost FUNi's catalog. Not to mention, during the CR-FUNi deal, FUNi is just dealing with English dubs while CR deals with subs, which won't really eat CR's subscribers if they allowed FUNi to expand regions.

Given that Funimation already streams in all the English speaking countries except South Africa, I have my doubts they would have been sticking with only English dubs during that expansion.

I also get the impression that some people think Funimation just handed their library over to CR for free, rather than benefiting from being paid for views by the larger CR audience. By ending the deal, Funimation lost that benefit, so who really took the bigger hit?

The longer Funimation takes to actually expand internationally, the more it is going to look like they made a bad call (or just used that as an excuse). After all, instead of (apparently) unilaterally demanding to be allowed into more countries, they could have just asked for a shorter term before the agreement was to be renewed again.

It shouldn't be that difficult for Funimation to quickly expand into the Nordic countries, where they already have some existing licenses (which were available when those titles were on CR, but not on Funimation). While not a "English speaking country", there are a high percentage of people that have English as a second language.

Quote:
Also, I'd expect CR's acquisition to take a huge dip starting Summer 2019 moving forward, since I assume that most of the acquisitions for Spring 2019 are already done (as shown by the effects of the fallout not manifesting this season).

Even if most of the acquisitions for this season were already done, why wouldn't you expect the hit for Spring? Even if every title were acquired as early as late November, that would still have been after the partnership ended and CR and Funimation would be competing for titles.
ataweb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
thank you
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Even if most of the acquisitions for this season were already done, why wouldn't you expect the hit for Spring? Even if every title were acquired as early as late November, that would still have been after the partnership ended and CR and Funimation would be competing for titles.

I'm referring to the dip due to bilibili, FUNimation, Hulu partnership. The Spring acquisitions would be due to FUNi-Hulu partnership which I think would not drastically decrease CR's acquisitions that much.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Did everyone forget that Crunchyroll is owned by one of the largest companies in the world? It’s not like AT&T is just going to roll over and play dead for an anime streaming site from China that doesn’t even stream in the US. Not to mention, there is no guarantee that this deal will even last long enough to damage CR, especially as most of Funi’s streaming partnerships were relatively short lived.

I think it’s a little premature to pronounce CR dead, when we haven’t even seen how this will affect their acquisitions in the future.

FUNi has partnership with Hulu and bilibili. I'm pretty sure that would damage CR in terms of their acquisitions, especially with bilibili since they stream almost all seasonal shows in China.

Not to mention, just look at the recent blunders CR is making: CR Originals/High Guardian Spice (which is a PR disaster regardless, and they're being mum about it), untimely raising of their subscription prices, broken partnership with FUNi, etc. CR's only saving grace in terms of their acquisitions would be Aniplex of America, their co-productions (which again they're being mum about it, and not to mention seems to be dwindling in numbers), and possibly sequels to shows they previously licensed.

EDIT: Speaking of co-productions, apparently they have a deal with NBC Universal Japan about co-productions that was announced back in 2017. Since we don't hear anything about those and it's already 2019, then I assume that the deal fell apart without them producing a single title from that deal.

It’s a huge jump from saying that this might hurt CR, to automatically assuming it will drive them out of business. As I pointed out, Crunchy also has a huge parent company that has the cash and resources to complete. AT&T has also been pushing VRV, which includes Crunchyroll, as one of the free streaming services on their unlimited data plans. That’s how I actually access their library, and the fact that AT&T promotes it in their commercials shows they have faith in the service and want it to succeed.

No one is claiming that this won’t make it more costly and difficult for CR to acquire titles. However, Netflix and Amazon jumping into the market did for a time as well, and CR is still here. We should at lest wait a couple seasons before trying to body bag them.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't seem like a big deal and worse, because of Chinese censorship or approval, that means their selection will be more limited than what Funimation normally can get to choose from. Even some of Funimation's own licenses are part of the Chinese banned anime list and no, it's not just risque fanservice. Apparently, aside from hyper violence, any rebellious-against-government themes is banned which is why Terror in Resonance is also banned.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
....Good thing I've been reading more and more manga and light novels.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

I'm referring to the dip due to bilibili, FUNimation, Hulu partnership. The Spring acquisitions would be due to FUNi-Hulu partnership which I think would not drastically decrease CR's acquisitions that much.

Hulu aside (as I don't believe that will have much effect on the number of titles licensed), I expect Spring to be more of a return to the time just before the partnership. It appears Funimation grabbed 9 titles that Spring season, with two being shared with CR, but had 19 that summer, again with two being shared with CR.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Yeah this bodes EXREMELY POORLY for the north American anime scene. If this is indeed true and they get 70-80% of the shows, then we can pretty much guarantee the dark ages and another NA anime crash. Funimation has the worst apps, the worst player, and the worst service of any NA anime publisher. Hopefully with Sentai and CR joining forces, they can combat most the acquisitions, otherwise welcome to the boom of piracy.

CR is owned by a massive company, one of the biggest too, so this doesn't really make any sense. And Funimation has been among the biggest and most popular anime providers in the US for a really long time and we're certainly not in any dark ages or crash.
And as for the bolded, hell no, as a fan of many of Funi's shows and their dubs I use their current (way better than their old one) app and player (on my console and phone, and the PC video player) all the time and heck the rare times I've needed their customer service since the site refresh so far for issues like a digital code not redeeming correctly were pretty timely too, so I could not disagree more. Gotta say, I'm a big fan of Funimation, especially as a dub fan.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
It’s a huge jump from saying that this might hurt CR, to automatically assuming it will drive them out of business. As I pointed out, Crunchy also has a huge parent company that has the cash and resources to complete. AT&T has also been pushing VRV, which includes Crunchyroll, as one of the free streaming services on their unlimited data plans. That’s how I actually access their library, and the fact that AT&T promotes it in their commercials shows they have faith in the service and want it to succeed.

No one is claiming that this won’t make it more costly and difficult for CR to acquire titles. However, Netflix and Amazon jumping into the market did for a time as well, and CR is still here. We should at lest wait a couple seasons before trying to body bag them.

Yup, that's how I access their library too. Also, Funi was taking a pretty big hit with that deal too since they had to deal with having a very large decrease in the amount of subs they could include on their subscription which was probably a pretty big hit on them too since both dubs and subs are draws for different subscribers. Either way, when both got bought by different huge companies it was pretty inevitable that they couldn't continue the deal.

configspace wrote:
It doesn't seem like a big deal and worse, because of Chinese censorship or approval, that means their selection will be more limited than what Funimation normally can get to choose from. Even some of Funimation's own licenses are part of the Chinese banned anime list and no, it's not just risque fanservice. Apparently, aside from hyper violence, any rebellious-against-government themes is banned which is why Terror in Resonance is also banned.

This.
I can't see it effecting censorship for Funi in the US or limiting what Funi will bring over, since they don't have anything like those restrictions, like in that Terror in Resonance example to worry about here, as well as with fanservice. This likely just gives them each more access to more future titles but both will then handle them differently. Actually reading the article it also doesn't even seem like it's an exclusive licensing partnership either so Funi will likely license even more stuff by themselves in addition to whatever they get together.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
With how funimation has been doing business lately, and with how they're behaving, I honestly no longer care if they do great or poorly (in terms of business performance).

I guess this is good news for consumers since we'll get a lot of shows licensed. So at least we can enjoy that until Funimation changes ownership or sinks entirely.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:26 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
With how funimation has been doing business lately, and with how they're behaving, I honestly no longer care if they do great or poorly (in terms of business performance).

I guess this is good news for consumers since we'll get a lot of shows licensed. So at least we can enjoy that until Funimation changes ownership or sinks entirely.

Funimation isn't going anywhere for a good long while at the earliest
ObitoUchiha23

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Lizzie_B wrote:
So is this a good thing or bad thing?

That would mean FUNi would get about 70% of the anime every season while CR would only get around 10 shows, depending on how many shows they co-produce during the season. But seeing that the amount of their co-produced shows are dwindling, I don't see much hope for CR. I don't count Netflix shows for those since those are using an entirely different model.

given that Latin American fans actually hate Funi because most anime they license get cockblocked there,this is really bad for them...

Thats right, were not the only ones, almost all of Europe too, Funimation has still limited to cover there english contries, they cut with CR because they wanted to ''expand" but we haven't see interest on it, Hulu isnt even in Canada, even sentai and viz have already cover non-english territories, i could say Sony and Funimation did this deal for money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3