• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Japanese School Kids Really Get To Go On Class Trips?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scalfin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Grew up in a reasonably wealthy American suburb, and there were no overnight trips (apart from one I got for taking a Close Up civics course, but that was paid for by a private foundation). Lots of field trips to Sturbridge Village, Plymouth Plantation, and the Lowell factories though, as well as a senior trip to a water park.

Meanwhile, Israeli kids are all taken on an I think ten-day tour of Europe's many crematoria and mass graves.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
In elementary school we had random day trips over the years (zoo, museum etc), my middle school took an (I think) 3 day 2 night trip several hours away to another state. I think there was going to be another in high school, but they stopped doing them before my class would have gone. Besides that the language classes going to their respective countries once, there wasn't anything in HS besides some class relevant day trips. Although I think the band/orchestra groups had trips for concerts and such.

Scalfin wrote:
Grew up in a reasonably wealthy American suburb, and there were no overnight trips (apart from one I got for taking a Close Up civics course, but that was paid for by a private foundation). Lots of field trips to Sturbridge Village, Plymouth Plantation, and the Lowell factories though, as well as a senior trip to a water park.

Meanwhile, Israeli kids are all taken on an I think ten-day tour of Europe's many crematoria and mass graves.

I'm not familiar with this to comment on the details, but I presume the purpose of those trips would be to see the sites of various concentration camps in remembrance of the Holocaust.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
...Meanwhile, Israeli kids are all taken on an I think ten-day tour of Europe's many crematoria and mass graves.
Holy S*it! Is that real?? If so, I daresay taking kids on a Holocaust Tour is something they won't be able to forget... Shocked
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:02 am Reply with quote
My high school had a "Senior Class Trip". Traditionally it was to Washington D.C. (we were just west of Philadelphia). It ran one or two nights, I'm not sure since I didn't go. Fund raising was conducted through all four years of what was then considered high school. This included "class dues" which were involuntary.

For some reason in my senior year they changed it to New York City. What the officials did not plan on was that the drinking age in New York State at that time was 18. Several of the students managed to get served, some of whom were actually 18. A couple of them didn't handle it well. Laughing

All other trips during my schooling were day trips.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote
Think we had more multi-day trips as part of a traveling sports youth team than we ever had in schools Laughing

(I imagine that's more common in Japan too since everybody has to have a sports club, and everywhere is much easier within Japan proper since it's conveniently reachable by train)
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
No class trips at my school. The closest we got to anything like that was a plan when I was in 5th grade to see some docudrama movie, but the movies-are-a-sin parents put their foot down, so even that didn't happen.

As a student living in Paris in the 80s the best school trips were mostly to museums , a train trip to Lille and then on to the Venice of the North : Bruges (Belgium) and a visit to the Meudon Observatory right outside Paris. Nothing fancy like flying to other countries or even the UK. The fall of the Berlin Wall, Schengen, and the Eurostar were all yet to come.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
I am surprised that in some ways it appears that my Brazilian school life was closer to the Japanese style than American schools appear to be. Like, we had things like uniforms, the school council (I was the finance secretary of the school council for a couple of years), and school trips at least.

We had many plans for school trips at multiple points, we actually had trips at the end of the middle school and high school.

One time we planned to travel all the way to Argentina to finish high school but we decided to cancel it because it was too expensive and it was to be funded by the parents, so all parents had to agree on it. Instead, we did some cheap trip to a government-owned student hotel at the beach.

Another time we had a school trip all set up but my dad had a nightmare the day before that the school trip bus crashed, so because of his bad premonition, I did not get to go. Laughing Nothing bad happened anyway.

Finally, I had one trip where they decided to drive a bus for 20 hours without staying in a hotel to save up money. Somehow I managed to get blisters on my feet from that trip. It was really memorable although not the most comfortable trip. Well, that was a true third world experience. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
@ Jose Cruz :

What's the point in traveling to other countries when Brazil has so many natural wonders ?

The falls of Foz de Iguaçu dwarf the Niagara falls and are a sight to behold. Definitely worth a school trip there. And that's just one. Another one is the man made damn of Itaipu, one of the world's technological wonders.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3