• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Arranged Marriages Still Happen In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drifter24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

Actually, nature has taught us that there are quite a few species that haven't evolved in any significant way since before the dinosaurs walked the earth.
If an adaptation is good enough for a given environment, the species won't evolve until the environment changes. If it's good for several environments, it might not evolve period.

True! Species that are the least picky about diet or living conditions for example tend to have stayed the same for the past million years while others faced evolutionary pressures. I guess I misspoke but it still doesn't bode well to those in Japan or anywhere actually who are obstinate to change because they like how things are or maybe used to be. It doesn't really foster the idea that they are ready to face a changing environment like the species who have not faced evolutionary pressures.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Hey, i also noticed on how manga and anime have a number of references to Japan's declining birth rates as well, there are number of references about Japanese people encouraging them to get married and have children, a number of references about this include Final Approach, Conception and its sequel, and more.

Japan's declining population and declining birth rates is making its pop cultural references in the number of Japanese media out there.

Man, Japan is sure is in desperation to survive too.

I've been wondering if there would be a push to have anime more focused on dating, marriage and having children.

Usually at most we have some silly haram anime where some man accidently forced to get engaged to some woman but he wants another woman but has trouble asking her out on a date and the marriage never happens then over time all these girl shows up and try to beat him up and the guy never gets laid.

Personally if I was to do an anime to encourage dating and social relationship, would be some kind of swinger's anime around monster girls. Focused on something like a guy and his bi monster girl best friend who's he's in a causal sexual reaction ship with. His friend thinks he needs to relax and go out more and starts hooking him up with some other monster girls acting as his wingman basically, and they start going on causal double and group dates hooking up in different match ups. I'll add some crazy hijinks to make some of the scene funny, But I wouldn't not have any scenes there the girls are mean to the guy to show how good it is to meet and know girls and have a lot of girl friends and respect you.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:18 am Reply with quote
@ReifuTD

Yeah i know that. But the declining workforce will hurt the anime, manga, video games and other entertainment industry for good. Japan will disappear if Japan's birthrate continues to drop.
Drifter24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
@ReifuTD

Yeah i know that. But the declining workforce will hurt the anime, manga, video games and other entertainment industry for good. Japan will disappear if Japan's birthrate continues to drop.

Lol! It hasn't reached that point yet, though the recent government survey showing less than a million births in the past year for the third straight year is a bit scary to think about when you wrap your head around it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
There are several Arabic countries that have very low limits on refugees as well and that is true for the vast majority of countries on the planet.

Note: No one was talking about refugees. The previous poster to whom you are replying specified migrants (immigrants). Refugees are a specific type of migrants, there are many more.

In regards to Arab countries in general, they don't have the same low birthrate as Japan, so there's less of an argument to be made that they need immigration.

There's simple logic to this.
Is Japan's declining population a problem?
If it's a problem, what can Japan do to mitigate the effects of the problem ?
If the effects are too serious to be mitigated, what can Japan do to solve the problem ?
Is increased immigration a possible part of the solution ?

Quote:
I would expect that the Japanese will decide what is best for Japan.

Japan's government will indeed decide what to do... although their decisions may not necessarily be the best for the country (History, including recent history, is rife with governments making decisions that are not in their country's best interests).

While the decision is Japan's and Japan's alone, there's no reason foreign citizens can't look at Japan's problems and discuss them, make suggestions, or even pass judgement on ethics. Japanese people do it about foreign countries all the time. I assume you have an opinion on Donald Trump? Whether positive or negative, you are entitled to that opinion, you are entitled to discuss it, and you are entitled to criticize it.

The "mind your own business" mentality is kinda dumb, and also pointless.

Personally, as I live in Japan several months a year, I have many friends in Japan, and I care about my friends' future. It's not as if I have no stake in the country's healthy survival, so I frequently share my opinion on it. I'm lucky enough that I can immigrate to Japan if I want to (I'm qualified to fast track and be a citizen in about 12 months), so hey, maybe one day I'll be voting on whether or not Japan should allow in more immigrants and/or refugees.

-t
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
There is one thing about this immigration thing that I do not get.
OK so a Chinese person is not Japanese, however they are both oriental, or east Asian(which ever is right). So what difference does it make to their country?

Take for example South Africa, the Boers, Dutch settles are not Black they are white, so that makes a difference, but if someone from Zimbabwe moves other, it doesn't really make any difference. The Chinese who come other, how will you tell the difference between their kids and the kids of Japanese parents?
Drifter24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:50 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
OK so a Chinese person is not Japanese, however they are both oriental, or east Asian(which ever is right). So what difference does it make to their country?

Take for example South Africa, the Boers, Dutch settles are not Black they are white, so that makes a difference, but if someone from Zimbabwe moves other, it doesn't really make any difference. The Chinese who come other, how will you tell the difference between their kids and the kids of Japanese parents?

Lol there is so much that is wrong with your post but you are probably just curious out of pure ignorance than malice but you probably offended a some or maybe a lot of Asian people from that particular region. As outsiders looking in it probably looks the way you perceived it in your post but to Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, and the rest of the ethnicities from that region they’re big differences in not only language but culture and attitudes and even physical differences to an extent.

Outside of all that I mentioned it will do you a lot of good to do some research on the history of these peoples and their interactions over time and you will see why everyone doesn’t sit in a circle and sing happy songs. Also being a person from East Africa they’re obvious physical differences between Africans from North, South, and West Africa that a native like I can notice that outsiders won’t see without pointing it out. So like I said do some research. You probably have access to the internet which is a fountain of useful information if you know where to look. Start with wiki, it isn’t a bad place as they tend to list credible sources along with information.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
As far as the declining interest in marriage/kids/etc. goes, I'm sure that ease of access to other outlets is an easy scapegoat, but I think that bit about the long work hours and not much support for parents is a bigger factor. If you're exhausted from a long work day and have to turn around and do it again, it's pretty easy to not see how dating or kids would be manageable on top of it.

Long work hours is also a scapegoat and objectively false. In fact, Japan's average work hours per year are pretty average. Maybe it doesn't take into account unpaid overtime and "loyalty" after hours, but this is also is more rare nowadays as the Shūshin-Koyō lifetime employment system fades away.

As for support for parents, child care is a booming business in major Japanese cities, and while it helps, at what cost? With all do respect to the men and women taking care of children while parents both work, it's not a healthy upbringing. I've seen it myself with the DINK boom and many millennials.

Merida wrote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here, but i hope it 's not that all immigrants "have five kids and don't work"...as for Japan, women there are still more or less forced to stop working as soon as they have kids which actually is one of the reasons for the declining birthrates.

People are quick to point to this as well. Japan actually has mandatory maternal AND paternal leave for up to a year to the extent it's so generous, no wonder employers want to let go of people having children when they can easily be replaced.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:

In fact, Japan's average work hours per year are pretty average. Maybe it doesn't take into account unpaid overtime and "loyalty" after hours, but this is also is more rare nowadays as the Shūshin-Koyō lifetime employment system fades away.

Unpaid overtime and not living the office before the boss leaves the office is still not uncommon in Japan. It's just the expectation, so people just do how it's always been done, just to keep the social harmony in the workplace. Those who leave "early" are given the "stink eye" by the rest of the office.

As for support for parents, child care is a booming business in major Japanese cities, and while it helps, at what cost? With all do respect to the men and women taking care of children while parents both work, it's not a healthy upbringing. I've seen it myself with the DINK boom and many millennials.

Yeah, if ya wanna start a business in Japan, child care is very much in demand. (Though finding workers is a problem in a tight job market.)

Both parents working is becoming a financial necessity. Salaries have been stagnant (despite the tight job market, go figure), while children expenses go up. It's becoming harder just for 1 working parent to support the whole family.

People are quick to point to this as well. Japan actually has mandatory maternal AND paternal leave for up to a year to the extent it's so generous, no wonder employers want to let go of people having children when they can easily be replaced.

It's mandatory, but employees are reluctant to take it.

"Researchers have figured out why almost no men take paternity leave in a country that offers 12 months of it"
Quote:
Japan has one of the most generous paternity-leave policies among developed countries, but a look around the average Japanese office might not seem that way. Only about 2% to 3% of men in Japan take their allotted parental leave

According to a recent study by researchers at Kyushu University published in the peer-reviewed journal Frontiers in Psychology, peer pressure—or rather the perception of it—plays a big role in deterring Japanese men from taking time off after having a child.

One reason that might still hold sway, the researchers contend, is that many men still believe they could suffer from negative evaluations in the workplace if they take paternity leave (though Japanese law prevents unfair treatment of employees who take parental leave).

The current attitude of Japanese men toward paternity leave is neatly summarized by the researchers as: “I want to but I won’t.”

While about half of mothers quit work when they start a family, those who remain at work or take maternity leave, about a third of them are subjected to "matahara" (maternal harrassment).

"Survey shows maternity harassment still a problem at workplace
Quote:
A survey conducted by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare on workplace maternity harassment, or "matahara," as it is called in Japanese, shows that 21.8% of full-time employees and 48.7% of temp staff have experienced such harassment.

Of those who experienced "matahara," 47% were told they were annoying for making their co-workers do extra work or asked why they didn't quit. Twenty percent lost their jobs.

About 40% of respondents said the harassment came from their male superiors, 20% said they were harassed by female superiors, while the rest cited co-workers, the ministry said.

One woman told NHK that having a baby should be a joyous occasion but she was so tense about going to work each day because of harassment that she feared she would have a miscarriage, so she quit her job.

More Japanese women are continuing to work after having children, as a downtrend in wages since the late 1990s has made life harder for single-income families. As of 2010, 46% of working women stayed in their jobs after having their first child, up from 32% in 2001, according to the labor ministry.

At the same time, complaints about harassment and discrimination related to pregnancy and childbirth have risen. In fiscal year to March 31, the government received 2,085 such complaints from female workers, up 18% from six years ago.

Lawyers say contract workers often fear their employment will not be renewed if they take maternity or childcare leave.

Sometimes, Japanese (co)workers are their own worst enemies.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:18 am Reply with quote
Drifter24 wrote:
Lol there is so much that is wrong with your post but you are probably just curious out of pure ignorance than malice but you probably offended a some or maybe a lot of Asian people from that particular region. As outsiders looking in it probably looks the way you perceived it in your post but to Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, and the rest of the ethnicities from that region they’re big differences in not only language but culture and attitudes and even physical differences to an extent.

Outside of all that I mentioned it will do you a lot of good to do some research on the history of these peoples and their interactions over time and you will see why everyone doesn’t sit in a circle and sing happy songs. Also being a person from East Africa they’re obvious physical differences between Africans from North, South, and West Africa that a native like I can notice that outsiders won’t see without pointing it out. So like I said do some research. You probably have access to the internet which is a fountain of useful information if you know where to look. Start with wiki, it isn’t a bad place as they tend to list credible sources along with information.
Oh come on, 'do some research' is the most hackneyed response you can get. What did you even inform me about. That there are suitable differences? because Japans demographic is going to be changed by having people of the same ethnicity, but slightly different emigrate there.

This sounds like Nazi Pseudoscience, "Those Jews aren't German because they don't have Aryan blood" despite that they had to wear bands to tell them apart. Or those Americans who say "I have Irish blood".

As I said, is a child of Chinese parents, born and raised in Japan, really going to stand out, sure their parents through accent and culture are going to stand out. But their descendants, who will likely marry Japanese citizens are pretty much going to keep the country pretty much the same. Not even people from Japan look the same, Shoji Kawamori and Hideaki Anno are the same age, but don't look anything alike.

I'm sorry for being so rude, I'm sure there is a difference between you and someone from another part of Africa that I can not see but you can, why you would see them as different people is another matter. But it really ticked me off how incredibly condescending and(at least from my perspective) arrogant your reply was.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

It's more about their culture than how they look. Unlike some American believe, skin colors and genetic make up don't really means much when it comes to cultural identity.

I mean yea, appearance wise East Asian don't look all that different, but their cultures are still very different from each other. Hell, Chinese has literally HUNDREDS of different ethnic. Each got their own accent, vocab, clothing style, tradition, cuisine, etc.

When you marry with someone from outside your culture, there's risk of your kids losing part of your culture be it language or belief. It may not disappear immediately but if it keeps going, your descendants will lose it completely someday.

Look at the Ainu. Japanisation made them near extinct. Ainu descent exist, but many of them lost the ability to speak the language or practice the tradition. Currently the Japanese are still the majority, but as the population dwindle and more people marrying foreigner, sooner or later they'll become minority before eventually disappear.

Chinese people in Japan is a thing by the way, there are China towns in Yokohama, Kobe, and Osaka. For more ancient ones, Okinawa has some mixed Chinese descent ethnicity (albeit, the Japanese didn't acknowledge them as different ethnic).
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
When you marry with someone from outside your culture, there's risk of your kids losing part of your culture be it language or belief. It may not disappear immediately but if it keeps going, your descendants will lose it completely someday.

Look at the Ainu. Japanisation made them near extinct. Ainu descent exist, but many of them lost the ability to speak the language or practice the tradition. Currently the Japanese are still the majority, but as the population dwindle and more people marrying foreigner, sooner or later they'll become minority before eventually disappear.

This is the sort of thing the more rabidly anti-immigration types keep saying, but it really takes an overwhelming majority and a prolonged active campaign of forced assimilation to actually happen. With the Ainu example, it's a little tricky (at least in the time I've got to spare) to find real numbers throughout history, but in the 18th Century there were something like 80,000 Ainu and 30 million Japanese. There isn't anywhere near enough people on the planet to outnumber the current Japanese population by that ratio, even if you could fit them all on the Japanese islands. Immigration numbers would be a fraction of the Japanese population, and while the culture will change a bit as a result, as I've already pointed out the culture has been changing due to contact with other nations anyway. The idea that a relative handful of immigrants are going to entirely wipe out the existing culture is a fantasy, as is the idea that immigrants could so easily outnumber the existing population.
marek1712

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Mrs. Ichinose, IIRC, showing some possibilities for Kyoko--

Mrs. Ichinose, yes. But I think it was Shun's uncle being even more pushy (or, on the other side, Kyoko's mother) Wink
nDroae

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
As a millennial, the thought of getting married at 25 is insane

I'm a millennial (born 1987) and I think it's perfectly normal to marry immediately after college, but that's because I grew up in American conservative Christian culture. Razz

Once, in an online discussion, a Japanese woman told me that it's reasonable to disapprove of marrying and having children with foreigners, because hafu children are known to be badly behaved. Y'think growing up in a culture where you're categorically a misfit from birth might contribute to any actual behavior problems? Then a westerner jumped in and said that only melting-pot nations should be expected to provide a welcoming place for mixed-ethnicity couples to live and raise a family, while all other nations' ideals of purity should be respected and preserved.

For a few years I stopped watching anime and was almost embarrassed to like anything Japanese, before I eventually reluctantly got far more into anime than I'd ever been before. And now I have Space Battleship Yamato merch on my desk, of all things.

ReifuTD wrote:
I've been wondering if there would be a push to have anime more focused on dating, marriage and having children.

Usually at most we have some silly haram anime where some man accidently forced to get engaged to some woman but he wants another woman but has trouble asking her out on a date and the marriage never happens then over time all these girl shows up and try to beat him up and the guy never gets laid.

It's been done:

anime#11962
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30-sai_no_Hoken_Taiiku
Wikipedia: "The series is aimed at men in their 30s who have not had any romantic or sexual relationships with women."

anime#2136
ANN: "Makoto and Yura Onoda are happy newlyweds but neither of them has sexual experience before. Desperately willing to improve their sex life, they look for help from their relatives, friends and 'the media.'"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futari_Ecchi

Then there's this (in my opinion) hilarious, and seemingly facetious, take on Oshiete! Galko-chan by Real_Hentai_Senpai. I first read it as the show's top review on MAL, which seems to have been deleted since. https://www.reddit.com/r/Animemes/comments/6mkfab/galko_is_a_true_pure_maiden_and_lewding_her_is_a/dk36e1v/

Quote:
WARNING This show is degenerate normie propaganda intended to destroy otaku culture (...) Everything about this anime is secretly part of a government conspiracy lead by Shinzo Abe the Prime Minister of glorious Nippon, to eradicate otaku and raise the birthrate of the country.

Don't believe me?

Almost every joke is about the female body, trying to shatter the unrealistic standards of 2D females and open the viewers minds to realize that real women aren't so bad. Gyaru in real life are easy lays so by making the main character a nice pure girl it tricks the otaku into thinking that 3DPD ["3D pig disgusting"] gyaru are fine too, thus creating more children to save Japan from extinction. They even have some thick ass girl show up later on in the show to get you to open your interests from the generic slim body image, she is pretty hot though. (...)

Overall I think this anime is dangerous and should be watched with the knowledge that it is trying to destroy a lifestyle.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Y'think growing up in a culture where you're categorically a misfit from birth might contribute to any actual behavior problems?

Incidentally, this is why the word "bastard" does double duty as a word for a person whose parents were not married and someone who is not a nice person. When childbirth out of wedlock was so heavily stigmatised that the child was thought to be evil and wrong and thus ostracised and discriminated against, the only way they could survive much less thrive was to be ruthless, which further fed the impression people had that children born out of wedlock were by their nature bad people.
nDroae wrote:
Then a westerner jumped in and said that only melting-pot nations should be expected to provide a welcoming place for mixed-ethnicity couples to live and raise a family, while all other nations' ideals of purity should be respected and preserved.

Which is bloody stupid. Racial purity is an illusion, and anyone advocating keeping it (or worse, returning to it) should not be trusted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4