• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX part 2 BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krunky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
TheKillerAngel wrote:
The views of people who read and post on sites like ANN are not totally representative of the anime-watching community. A lot of people might hate the show here and on Reddit but plenty of other people I know seem to have enjoyed it, even with its flaws.

Apparently not a whole lot. While ANN's opinions tends to be the minority in a lot of things within the anime community the fallout of Franxx was something that was predicted amongst a lot of people when the show started and when thing started to fall apart not even its most diehearted fans could defend it anymore. Nowadays its only a topic of discussion as to when it fell apart since most of its diehard fanbase went on to the next hyped thing of the season and the rest remained silent.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
TheKillerAngel wrote:
The views of people who read and post on sites like ANN are not totally representative of the anime-watching community. A lot of people might hate the show here and on Reddit but plenty of other people I know seem to have enjoyed it, even with its flaws.

I would tend to agree, and that is consistent with its ratings across most English speaking anime ratings sites, where opinion is more positive than negative (MAL, Anime-Planet, Kitsu, Anilist, Anisearch, even ANN itself, to name a few). The idea that there is some negative consensus on the show seems mostly based on the most strident voices in various online forums, not on how people are actually rating the show. I'm not saying that those voices should be ignored, just that they don't show the whole picture, as you said.
Krunky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
TheKillerAngel wrote:

I would tend to agree, and that is consistent with its ratings across most English speaking anime ratings sites, where opinion is more positive than negative (MAL, Anime-Planet, Kitsu, Anilist, Anisearch, even ANN itself, to name a few). The idea that there is some negative consensus on the show seems mostly based on the most strident voices in various online forums, not on how people are actually rating the show. I'm not saying that those voices should be ignored, just that they don't show the whole picture, as you said.

Funny you would post the MAL and Anilist ratings since when the show began it peaked at above an 8.3 on MAL and 80% on anilist and went down to a 7.53 and a 70% by the end of it and you can also read the user reviewers at the bottom which are largely negative. So there definitely was a downward trend. I mean have you ever consider that fans would review bomb in order to elevate the score?
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Kunt wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
TheKillerAngel wrote:

Funny you would post the MAL and Anilist ratings since when the show began it peaked at above an 8.3 on MAL and 80% on anilist and went down to a 7.53 and a 70% by the end of it and you can also read the user reviewers at the bottom which are largely negative. So there definitely was a downward trend. I mean have you ever consider that fans would review bomb in order to elevate the score?

Places like MAL are also kind of useless since people just give things 1/10s and 10/10s before they've even started airing, or with like 1 episode complete.
Krunky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
JustinTaco wrote:
Kunt wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
TheKillerAngel wrote:

Places like MAL are also kind of useless since people just give things 1/10s and 10/10s before they've even started airing, or with like 1 episode complete.

And animeplanet has such a small userbase in general.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm surprised by the nitpicking about different ratings sites. While none are perfect, in the absence of more rigorous polling - which would have its own difficulties given most anime fans probably do not have a landline and there are limitations with using cell phones, among other challenges that have come up with polling in recent years, but the specifics would be fairly off topic - ratings are probably best indicator we have in regards to viewer opinion, especially when they are pointing in the same direction across different sites. I'd say it is more rigorous than just considering who is yelling the loudest on various internet forums, though I would be interested to see what a sentiment score would look like on the subject across different sites.

I don't deny that there was a decline in rating towards the end, nor am I arguing that everyone using rating sites does so in a way that is above reproach (Haters can review bomb shows too), but I think it would be unwise not to consider that people can and do genuinely and reasonably have differing opinions about whether a TV show was good or not, and not just dismiss anyone or anything that does not align with one's own views. I'm not asking you to agree with me or Theron or anyone else about this show, I'm just asking that you respect that people, even many people, can genuinely and reasonably have a differing opinion on the show. If you can't even give that modicum of respect, then I don't have anything else to say to you.
MiiyoSon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Not the worst anime I've ever watched but it's absolutely the worst experience I ever had with an anime. So in that sense I agree with @zrnzle500, I'm never going to forget this only to ensure that if I really really don't like a show personally I'm not going to waste my time trying to see if will get better. It's just not for me
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Intriguing review. Now I’m just curious to see exactly what kind of divergences the manga adaptation of this anime will have for the series. Seeing what will develop in that version interests me and I think it would be nice to have it released overseas.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
So Okay.Glad I left the building before it collapsed. I was enjoying the show, but I had to pause it for a long while, then I heard rumours of its demise, and gave up on it.

Instead of spending my time with a collapse of all the interesting characters and a backwards boneheaded gender and sexuality worldview, I got to spend my time with Devilman Crybaby, Zombieland Saga and others.

Also, Aldnoah.Zero was cool. The second season was just poorer.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Rather than compare and argue over scores and ratings, why not just focus on the fanbase in general? For example, the Darling the Franxx subreddit keeps growing despite the show being over, which suggest new people are still discovering and getting into the franchise or are simply finding their way to the subreddit. Ratings can't compare to an actual fanbase.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3