• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Anime's Trailer Reveals Cast, Composers, Theme Song Artists, Apri

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:33 am Reply with quote
They are mo-capping this, right? This team´s Ultra-man used it too and moved really well.
So does Clone Wars S07 and obviously most game cut-scenes. That said, tv grade CG anime is still not where Resident Evil 5 or MGS 4 were a decade ago (the amount of assets in those PS3 Kojima cutscenes is insane at times) and where Clone Wars ended up around S03 but I get it. Limited budgets etc. A premium/fully-canon SW show barely broke even and that was an actual IP people care about that can go on at prime-time. Not so much here. Not anymore. 2020 is sink or swim for GitS after the non-starter of Arise (it was "very good"), the online game flopping and the US film bombing. Do people even read the new The Human Algorithm manga which is basically GitS 1.75? Do not. It sucks and is sexist to the point of parody.

Appleseed is beyond death at this point too. Oh well, 2045 looks good enough to me so far and that 2017 trash fire can´t be allowed to be the last word on the IP. Good enough will easily be good enough.

Edit: Lol to the comment blow. CW looked astonishing starting with S02, certainly S3 and even IG worked on it, aside from Polygon. A rather famous highlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hBZNsPnyg

The then final Yoda arc looked equally astonishing. CG animation is as valid as "2D". You just need to do it right. Ultraman 2019 is such an example and it got 2nd season. I´ll watch it. IG isn´t run by idiots after all.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:48 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
partially

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:40 am Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
I'm just going to say it, Netflix has a weird obsession with trying to make terrible 3DCGI happen and it should be considered a crime at this point and they should never be able to make anime again.

It always looks terrible. How have they not gotten this yet?

Edit: Obviously I'm biased. Most CGI I've seen Netflix do on anime just to me looks bad, and I'm not a fan of the CGI trend anyways

Eh it is hardly just Netflix. Look at all the Star Wars CGI television that predated Netflix's glut. It does well for some reason so why would they not? People just need to improve their visual taste or companies will keep doing it... Razz

residentgrigo wrote:
That said, tv grade CG anime is still not where Resident Evil 5 or MGS 4 were a decade ago (the amount of assets in those PS3 cutscenes is insane at times) and where Clone Wars ended up around S03 but I get it, limited budgets etc.

That is why I get a bit miffed when people say these CG series look like video game cutscenes. Complete disservice to video game cutscenes. Rolling Eyes Maybe a video game cutscene from the mid-2000s,
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:05 am Reply with quote
The cutscenes from MGS 4 where Liquid stopped the forever war:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeHgrf5z4C0
The fps does its best, other scenes (the train station) are less fortunate. This puts most 2019 AAA games to shame aside of DMC V. GoW 2018, for example, did not get this bonkers as they would have needed to rig the actors, hire professional dancers for the stunts and whatnot else. Believe it or not but PS3 (or even PS2) games often have better-done cutscenes that some PS4 games which often look like immaculately captured stage plays. Which brings me back to mo-cap. You kinda need to do some of that that if you want to have great CG animation with human models. The amount of money Kojima put into these is why MGSV was left half-finished and why he went out of the door at the Konami slave mines.

This and the Matrix fights in RE5 is something only films like Gantz:0, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV or Captain Harlock 2013 can deliver and let´s not pretend that those make money. I would never ever expect such feats from TV, let alone anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:18 am Reply with quote
DjangoDCCX wrote:

The trailer uploaded to Netflix Japan has significantly more viewership and positive reception verses the American upload. Pretty sure this is a cultural bias.

It's obvious the Americans are complaining about the show's visuals because it looks as much like a T-rated video game as the CG KOTZ:SS series. But instead of giving the benefit of the doubt that this show won't be as poorly made, they've already jumped to conclusions. It's immature and unjustified.

Americans have been spoiled to better 3DCG
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:33 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

It could also be the opposite. Americans have become very jaded and cynical about everything being CG these days. Japan still sees it as a novelty since most anime is still traditional animation. So they'll see CG like this and think "Whoa, cool, that's new and unique!" while us Americans freak out about Japan going full CG like we did Laughing I know I generally don't watch CG anime because I have a bias against it and find it pretty unappealing.

partially wrote:
Eh it is hardly just Netflix. Look at all the Star Wars CGI television that predated Netflix's glut. It does well for some reason so why would they not? People just need to improve their visual taste or companies will keep doing it... Razz

To be fair even the 2D Star Wars stuff looks really bad. From the 80s Droids cartoon to the modern day Forces of Destiny. A new, fledgling IP like Seis Manos has better art and animation than one of the biggest IPs in the world. I guess the main factor is all those Star Wars shows are for kids, so they're not worth investing a decent budget into when kids will watch it anyway, while Seis Manos is purposely going for that older audience who wants cooler and nicer looking art and animation. Castlevania too. Netflix can do good animation when it wants, but it's usually reserved for the shows they market as 'anime'.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:13 am Reply with quote
They just keep making everyone look younger and younger, that kills the appeal for me. Major is so supposed to be fine af, but is supposed to look like a grown, mature woman. Arise, the recent movie, and now this design....they all heavily clash with her her dubbed voiced. Also, everything just looks lifeless. Netflix spends all this money on anime, but they're clearly of the "quantity over quality" mindset, which is ultimately a waste of all that money.

You'd think they want another Devilman or Castlevania react from audiences, but that only happens when you put effort behind a project.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
AntiKuro wrote:
I'm just going to say it, Netflix has a weird obsession with trying to make terrible 3DCGI happen and it should be considered a crime at this point and they should never be able to make anime again.

It always looks terrible. How have they not gotten this yet?

Edit: Obviously I'm biased. Most CGI I've seen Netflix do on anime just to me looks bad, and I'm not a fan of the CGI trend anyways

residentgrigo wrote:
That said, tv grade CG anime is still not where Resident Evil 5 or MGS 4 were a decade ago (the amount of assets in those PS3 cutscenes is insane at times) and where Clone Wars ended up around S03 but I get it, limited budgets etc.

That is why I get a bit miffed when people say these CG series look like video game cutscenes. Complete disservice to video game cutscenes. Rolling Eyes Maybe a video game cutscene from the mid-2000s,

No it looks like cheap cut scenes from one of the earlier GTA games, especially the wind farm scene (seriously, WTF).

This is not good. No, this is an abomination. Not Berserk Or Gonzo QUALITY, but everything is wrong from a 3D stand point. I don’t even know where to begin. The lighting choices are horrible. The shaders are cheap. The physics are off. I seriously wish IG had teamed up with Orange or TROYCA to do the 3D. This is the future Oshii gave us when he fell in love with 3D CG back in the early 2000s. Because of that, there will never, I repeat NEVER, be another predominantly 2D GitS sequel. People need to get used to that.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:39 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

To be fair even the 2D Star Wars stuff looks really bad. From the 80s Droids cartoon to the modern day Forces of Destiny. A new, fledgling IP like Seis Manos has better art and animation than one of the biggest IPs in the world. I guess the main factor is all those Star Wars shows are for kids, so they're not worth investing a decent budget into when kids will watch it anyway, while Seis Manos is purposely going for that older audience who wants cooler and nicer looking art and animation. Castlevania too. Netflix can do good animation when it wants, but it's usually reserved for the shows they market as 'anime'.
Resistance was eh but I thought Star Wars Rebels had pretty nice CGI but Resistance was done by the infamous Polygon Pictures.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:15 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

That was my takeway as well. The desert parts remind me a lot of this OVA about bunny rabbit soldiers, but I can't remember the name of it now.

Cat Shit One.

HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
They just keep making everyone look younger and younger, that kills the appeal for me. Major is so supposed to be fine af, but is supposed to look like a grown, mature woman.

A grown mature woman who at the end of the original animated movie wound up in the body of a child.

dragon695 wrote:

No it looks like cheap cut scenes from one of the earlier GTA games, especially the wind farm scene (seriously, WTF).

....Yeah you might need to get those eyes checked as this looks nothing like the PS2 or PS3 era GTA games. I know some of you guys don't like CGI and feel the need to justify that criticism but at a certain point you have to realize what hyperbole and outright bullshit looks like.

HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:

You'd think they want another Devilman or Castlevania react from audiences, but that only happens when you put effort behind a project.

I mean to be pretty fair Devilman and Castlevania are 2D animes not CGI. I also find it funny you mention Castlevania given all the criticism it got as an adaptation because it dared to make various changes to the lore and such, completely ignoring that it was never intended to be a 1:1 adaptation of the original games in either story or character designs.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:05 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

Yeah, I'm just glad they're bringing the old guard back. Part of the reason Arise never clicked for me was the unnecessary recasting.

Arise was a completely different continuity, so I don't see what the problem was with recasting. Not to mention, completely different licensor with a different talent pool.

It's too bad we can't get a decent Blu-Ray release of the first two seasons of SAC.

So were the Oshii films. Even then the original actors in the Japanese version reprised their roles in SAC. This was apparently so ironclad that even though Funimation WANTED to bring back the original cast (why do you think Mary Elizabeth McGlynn has a role in it?) Production I.G. vetoed that. That being said, that's peanuts compared to the fact that Arise was just not a very good show, just another bit of pablum from resident hack Ubakata.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:49 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It could also be the opposite. Americans have become very jaded and cynical about everything being CG these days. Japan still sees it as a novelty since most anime is still traditional animation. So they'll see CG like this and think "Whoa, cool, that's new and unique!" while us Americans freak out about Japan going full CG like we did Laughing I know I generally don't watch CG anime because I have a bias against it and find it pretty unappealing.

Nah, Americans are very amenable to 3DCG - just look at Detective Pikachu, Battle Angel Alita, Lion King remake, any new animated TV series, etc. Even the Sonic movie, as long as it looks like Sonic. Laughing

Sometimes there can be too much 3DCG, but as long as it's good, they'll watch it anyway. Also, 3DCG technical awards have become high praise these days.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Arise was just not a very good show, just another bit of pablum from resident hack Ubakata.

I thought it was decent (the movie was a little perplexing). It just wasn't what the fans wanted from GitS at the time, they wanted more SAC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Who translated this? They can't even get the terminology correct. "...regarding the reorganization of the Ninth Division". Like wtf Netflix.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
dragon695 wrote:

....Yeah you might need to get those eyes checked as this looks nothing like the PS2 or PS3 era GTA games. I know some of you guys don't like CGI and feel the need to justify that criticism but at a certain point you have to realize what hyperbole and outright bullshit looks like.

They can do better. The outdoor scenes are mostly crap, especially during the day. GitS deserves better than this. They should bring back Studio Orange. Look at how well Beastars turned out. No reason they couldn’t work the same magic here.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:16 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Battle Angel Alita, Lion King

The same Battle Angel Alita people took exception to because of Alita's eyes and the same Lion King people weren't too fond of because of uncanny valley?

dragon695 wrote:

They can do better. The outdoor scenes are mostly crap, especially during the day. GitS deserves better than this. They should bring back Studio Orange. Look at how well Beastars turned out. No reason they couldn’t work the same magic here.

Isn't Beaststars 2D or is it like 2016 Beserk without the clunky and cheap animation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4