• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Interspecies Reviewers Anime's Airing on Kobe's Sun TV Canceled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:

I dunno why y'all are getting so defensive about this, are the impossibly large boobs in the show really the hills you're going to die on?

It's a matter of principle. Judging a book by its cover is willfully ignorant and prejudicial. It's no different than judging a person by their skin color.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Calico wrote:

I dunno why y'all are getting so defensive about this, are the impossibly large boobs in the show really the hills you're going to die on?

It's a matter of principle. Judging a book by its cover is willfully ignorant and prejudicial. It's no different than judging a person by their skin color.

Judging interspecies reviewers as a lewd show based off the art and reputation is not even remotely similar to judging a person by their skin color. Nor is it entirely off base to assume it's gonna be sexually exploitative.

It's absolutely fine if people don't want to watch a show about reviewing monster girl prostitutes. And it's fine if they see it's summary and art and say "this ain't for me chief". Even if they're wrong in their assumption, no one is getting marginalized or harmed by it.

mangamuscle wrote:

Unless Passione is on the production committe, they are not affected at all, they get paid a fixed amount and that is the end of it.

My bet is that Funimation will pull an Aniplex and not publish this at all.

I'd assume they have a vested interest in it doing well. Losing ad revenue, even if it doesn't directly impact them, may still end up roundaboutly impacting them.

And if anime licensing is anything similar to manga licensing, I think they probably lost their rights to distribute the home video release by renigging on their contract to stream the series. If they wanted to disto it for home release, they'd probably have to renegotiate for a new contract and at this point I doubt they will.

Not 100% sure that's how it went, but I'm willing to bet that they no longer have the rights to sell the eventual bluray (and it's rights are open game in NA right now)

Last edited by Animegunclub on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Even if they're wrong in their assumption, no one is getting marginalized or harmed by it.

... because manga, anime and other forms of entertainment are created by machines that do not need to sell their creations to put food on the table!
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:
Even if they're wrong in their assumption, no one is getting marginalized or harmed by it.

... because manga, anime and other forms of entertainment are created by machines that do not need to sell their creations to put food on the table!

Choosing not to buy, watch, or read something is not a direct attack on the artist that makes it.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:

Choosing not to buy, watch, or read something is not a direct attack on the artist that makes it.

Telling people to do the above without having experienced first hand said material is a direct attack on the finances of the people behind the production of said material. Kinda ironic that a show about reviewing is attacked by people that do not care enough to do the same.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Telling people to do the above without having experienced first hand said material is a direct attack on the finances of the people behind the production of said material. Kinda ironic that a show about reviewing is attacked by people that do not care enough to do the same.

No one has explicitly told people to not buy, read, or watch it in this thread (I rechecked).

And again, even if someone had, it's not actually marginalizing the artist's coffers. If the art you chose to make pushes the boundaries, people pushing back against it is normal and it may not sell. That's a risk you take as an artist, and one you never really had to take.

Trying to take a moralist stance on this show's sales is especially silly, considering most English language people that are fans or following this show are torrenting it now, and the artists don't get a dime of that.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:49 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:

Based on this completely absurd logic, I am personally marginalizing and oppressing the work of the artists behind every TV show, movie, book or album I decide not to watch or listen to.

I better get to work watching the entire Netflix catalog just to make sure I'm not oppressing anyone. See you in 2 billion hours, I suppose.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Based on this completely absurd logic, I am personally marginalizing and oppressing the work of the artists behind every TV show, movie, book or album I decide not to watch or listen to.

Not watching is NOT the issue, not personally experiencing and then proceeding to tell people not to watch because "yeah, I have seen an screenshot/read the synopsis/heard a sound bite". Heck, why do reviews in this site when you do no really need other people to watch a series so they can tell us how good and/or bad they think it is.

Quote:
I better get to work watching the entire Netflix catalog just to make sure I'm not oppressing anyone. See you in 2 billion hours, I suppose.

I think you did not understood what I said, either that or I did not noticed when you told people not to watch "the entire Netflix catalog" that you openly admired not having watched.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
The divisions are another thing that reminds me of Big Mouth TBH.

Seriously, this show is ideal Netflix material.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The divisions are another thing that reminds me of Big Mouth TBH.

Seriously, this show is ideal Netflix material.

You know, I had the same thought, although I never watched Big Mouth. I had seen Blue is the Warmest Color on Netflix though...they'd probably need to consider the show if they got stuff like this.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a few episodes of this show, and I think it is ok.
That said I think they might be pushing what is acceptable for tv.

But, honestly I kind of just see this as the controversy of the hour. Once the Spring season begins, a new controversy will pop up and the reactionary cycle will begin anew.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:

Judging interspecies reviewers as a lewd show based off the art and reputation is not even remotely similar to judging a person by their skin color. Nor is it entirely off base to assume it's gonna be sexually exploitative.

Juding it as a lewd show is appropriate as the title and the official description make that 100% in-your-face clear.
Assuming it's sexually exploitative most certainly is the same thing as judging a person by their skin color. If you haven't actually seen the show then you have no data on which to draw any but the most basic of conclusions.

Quote:
It's absolutely fine if people don't want to watch a show about reviewing monster girl prostitutes. And it's fine if they see it's summary and art and say "this ain't for me chief". Even if they're wrong in their assumption, no one is getting marginalized or harmed by it.

Yes, of course, all of those things are totally OK.
Condemning the show as "sexually exploitative" without evidence of the accusation is not OK, though.
There's a huge difference between deciding something may not be for you and choosing not to look at it any further versus making specific and entirely inaccurate criticisms.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
It absolutely isn't the same thing because a television show is not a human being. They can misjudge it as bad art when it as good merits but trying to draw a fallacious similarity to actual racism doesn't get to fly here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quote
No matter the circumstances, I doubt it'll get cancelled from AT-X, which airs the uncensored version anyways. I'm pretty sure that it's plausible for a theorectical season 2 to be AT-X exclusive or something like that. It's doing well enough in Blu Ray sales to warrant a season 2 from what I hear, but there's some chance one won't be made if the public broadcasting stations don't even want a censored version.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

You know, I had the same thought, although I never watched Big Mouth. I had seen Blue is the Warmest Color on Netflix though...they'd probably need to consider the show if they got stuff like this.

Both shows have an issue where they throw a lot in your face that’s difficult to get past. (Big Mouth being ugly as sin on purpose and talking about teenage sexuality, Interspecies flat out showing sexual acts and being unashamed of anything). But once you get past that I think both shows have a sex-positive message that’s good to hear. It’s just that the initial content is so blatant that it’s a very tough sell. Both shows fail the subway test (can you watch it on the subway and not worry about police arresting you?), and it’s clearly not going to be for everyone. Which is fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5