• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akudama Drive (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 11
Quantum computers are so hot right now.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
11:

QUANTUM (SOMETHINGSOMETHING)!

Mind uploading. Yeah, the stuff of sci-fi geeks. I reckon Kanto needs a body—more like a vessel, to be honest—that's immortal. Why? Because entropy's a bitch. But man, the sci-fi references are all so fun to watch.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Kanto wrestled Kansai into making immortal humans just so it would have a wetware harddrive not subject to reality. I wouldn't even stoop to calling that "fantasy" let alone science fiction.

Apparently, Kanto is a devastated wasteland devoid of actual land, a land that was the site of vast technological wonders and also the site of a nuke that destroyed everything.

Is this Schrödinger's Plot? "Well, if you try to figure out the story of the nuke, the plot regarding Kanto's conversion to the quantum state becomes impossible but if you focus on the quantum computer, the nuke becomes impossible."
So which is yet?
"Yes."

And I prefer the Red King's Dream over the Butterfly's Dream because Carroll added the caveat "Well, what if he wakes up?" Also, it's easier to imagine what the Red King is dreaming of.... a long vacation from the stuffy Red Queen, presumably.... than it is to consider the worldview of a butterfly.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Probably the most satisfying part of the show was seeing the citizens realise that the executioners had too much power and could kill them indiscriminately. I understood immediately when Swindler was killed and it was like she could see something that made her smile that it was this. Probably could have done without Courier then destroying a massive tower that very likely could have killed innocent people like the child we just saw. Kind of feels like it then messed things up a bit by Courier then having to leave the very society that was rebelling against the system to run in an open wasteland with unknown answers where they could be targeted by the system without the protection of the civil unrest.

Kind of confuses me then what the even symbolic elements meant, when immediately having the law enforcement face consequences of calling people terrorists too quickly, we then get an an unnecessary act of terrorism, and after themes about sticking together to stand up for each other, he then had them all go it alone. I would hope there would be an answer of what the message of the show was in clearer terms, because it feels like it fell a bit into just spectacle in the end. I am a little annoyed at myself since I really caught myself up the theory of an undercover executioner, because the doctor's stuff does not count, and it feels like the bit thrown in with Bunny and Shark was actually a red herring in the end. I would be kind of interested to see an analysis of the bunny and shark bits, because it feels a little unclear what their purpose was, whether it was just to the audience, then it existed in the world for the system, and then fighting against the system.

I mean to say that it feels like this show is well worth analysis of its different elements, seeing some depth under the surface, but I kind of worry that the depth really does not exist there to an amazing extent. That maybe the show went a little too much into being spectacle entertainment rather than having some very specific social commentary that would well be worth exploring. To fit those reasons I would say the best part of the show itself was how Swindler managed to have everyone riot, which led the people be labeled Akudama, and eventually into everyone turning on the system. Kind of feels like the show maybe could have tried harder to focus on these elements, showing the problems with the society, and how it would be a keg ready to blow. Elements were there, like how it looked like in the first episode that they were making the execution of Cutthroat a spectacle, giving the over focus of making the killing of people labeled criminals a spectacle could make the idea of right and wrong become blurry.

The show was a fun ride, I certainly like some of its aesthetics. But I also think it could have leaned harder into things, like more of the cyberpunk element, give more tech stuff to the characters. It would not need to be some sort of question of what makes a human or specifically about man's connection to technology, I did say some tighter focus could help, but I think there could have been more. Like Brawler's prowess could have come from maybe illegal enhancements that increased it strength, Doctor have medical enhancements, and cutthroat have enhancements that made him a powerful killer. Swindler too could have had something too that might have been used by her job, and make her surprisingly good at swindling people, The show could have had like a human+ narrative, with it more clear theme of what human society should be when humans are becoming more than what we evolved as. Only perhaps it could have created more work in design.

Anyway, my rating would be Very good (8/10), I liked it a lot and could only hope that more anime could have the same level of style and stuff, enough to say not to miss it, but I do wish elements were a bit tighter. I would be curious to go back through with it uncensored, perhaps a dub, so maybe I will make a mental note to look out for a physical release. And I would certainly like a show that felt like it delivered on elements I liked a bit more. I am curious behind of the creative decisions in this show.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:34 am Reply with quote
Final:

Wow. That ended way better than I thought.

I called it: all the Akudama will eventually die. The writing's on the wall, tbh. But I was hoping that Swindler would survive in the end. Not only did she die too, but she died before the Courier. And she actually really lived up to her name (wait, class type?). Courier also completed the job (of course). Everything ended the way it should. But why Shikoku, though. Poor Hokkaido, the only region that seemed to have been neglected here.

(and Okinawa... poor Okinawa too).

I thought this would be a mindless fun show. Essentially it is, but it's surprisingly more than that: there's some substance here and there. The Akudama are not just vanilla class types: they had different motivations. And the action's been slick. Like Madhouse slick (if the studio had been kept a secret, I would've thought that Madhouse produced this show). And the ending? Tastefully done. Even cinematic.

It's a 7/10 for me. In all seriousness I thought this would be a 5/10 kind of show, but it proved to be better than your average over-the-top action fun. Getting a 7 from me says something; it turned out to be quite a sleeper hit of the season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3