• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online: Progressive Anime Is Film Opening in 2021 From A-1 Pictures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually really surprised at the negative reception to this. I actually think it's the best possible situation. I wasn't even considering it being a movie and I think this is the best play.

Granted, for like floors 5 and 6 (definitely 6), it might be hard to condense into a single movie. But for the first few floors, a movie is absolutely perfect.

The reason why I think it's perfect is because:
1. The first and second floor stories are pretty short and would work well in a movie format. The 3rd and 4th floor could work as movies as well.
2. If this becomes a series, then that means it would take about a year for the next movie to come out. Then a year for the following movie, and so on. Considering the rate Kawahara is writing the LNs, having yearly movies would allow him to continue to write new stories at his normal pace. In fact, he would have like 6 years (or more, depending on how they adapt the stories [considering how the story has been stuck on floor 6 since volume 5 (going onto 3 volumes all taking place on the same floor)] ) until they catch up to the current LN.

If they made it into a series, then we'd run out of content within two years. Then it would either turn into a rush job for new content or be padded with filler. It would turn out like the first SAO movie, which was terrible, imo, and also resulted in Kawahara delaying the release of volume 6 an entire year.

I'm super happy this is going to be done in movie format.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3