• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: U.S. Justice Department Extends Antitrust Review of Sony's Proposed Acquisition of Cru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:43 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Honestly there is no valid reason why Sony needs CR, they have both their own branch(Aniplex USA) and Funimation.

I always thought the reason why Sony wanted Crunchyroll had little to do with the North American market and more to do with the international markets. To me it seems like a faster and likely cheaper way for them to expand their anime streaming services globally. Doesn't Crunchyroll stream in Asia, Africa and South America? As far as I know Sony's various streaming services mainly cover N. America, Europe and Australia with Funimation only now starting to stream in S.America.

Pretty much this.
That being said, given the negative feedback I've seen I do wonder if FGG would shelve FuniNow and use CR since it seems to be a more better, or at least favourable platform. AnimeLab is seen as a better platform in the region (and to those with VPN) so I cant see them dumping it, and I think the same for Wakanim, but yeah, use it to replace the NA platform and go into regions it covers and FGG were looking to go into
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Im hoping the deal goes through, so that Anime streaming services can be consolidated. Otherwise it is going to end up like regular streaming services, where you need like 5 different ones just to watch all your shows.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I didn't necessarily see this coming but I guess that's why I'm not an antitrust lawyer. I know the new administration looks at monopoly concerns in tech differently from the last one, but it's surprising that they're concerned about the options available to Japanese companies.

Even if there were other suitors out there, I can't really think of any company where CR would fit as well that can also afford something in the ballpark of what Sony is willing to pay.

I also, again, think it's a hell of a thing that CR got its start with piracy and is now worth $1.3 billion.
Madster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
IMO, I think the deal is still gonna go through unfortunately, and if it doesn't then AT&T will just shop Crunchyroll around to other buyers. The whole reason why this sale happened is because Warner/AT&T is scrambling to sell off assets to pay off debt.

I do agree with the notion that Sony is buying CR just to gain access to international markets. There's also speculation that Sony wants to start its own streaming service.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Im hoping the deal goes through, so that Anime streaming services can be consolidated. Otherwise it is going to end up like regular streaming services, where you need like 5 different ones just to watch all your shows.

Usually, when these sorts of things go through, it's the consumer that loses in the end. Meaning that, instead of choosing to pay for what services you do want, you're now paying at least twice what you were paying because there is no alternative.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why the deal wouldn't go through.

Every now and then the gub'mint likes to flex its normally atrophied muscles.

The angle is probably looking at a monopoly on 'exclusively' anime streaming services, versus just a streaming service 'with anime.'

But I'm guessing it'd be too small of a market for anyone to care. And when it comes to tech and media monopolies, the USA dropped all of the balls long ago, and that's why a handful of major corps run the country.
cheezenub

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
It's all about the big gorilla in the market : Netflix.

Consolidating Funi and CR is a big response to the money Netflix (and to some extent Amazon) is throwing at anime. Funi, Cr and HiDive see that based upon money alone, they will have difficulty competing as stand alone companies. They just don't have the resources individually. Even Sony/Funi doesn't have the available resources to directly compete with the big dog(s). But, together with CR they may have enough sway, through established relationships, to hang around.

It's all about Netflix and Amazon to a lessor extent.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
-SP- wrote:

Usually, when these sorts of things go through, it's the consumer that loses in the end. Meaning that, instead of choosing to pay for what services you do want, you're now paying at least twice what you were paying because there is no alternative.

I always thought that the anime viewerbase wanted a streaming monopoly. After all, the Gabe Newell Cult of Personality / "Piracy is a Service Problem Wink Wink " crowd has long contended that the real issue with the current streaming landscape is not price, but rather the scourges of "multiple payments" or "inconvenience" or "not having everything in one place." So by that logic, they should be willing to pay something like $15-$30 a month for a service that alleviates those issues, right?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I always thought that the anime viewerbase wanted a streaming monopoly. After all, the Gabe Newell Cult of Personality / "Piracy is a Service Problem Wink Wink " crowd has long contended that the real issue with the current streaming landscape is not price, but rather the scourges of "multiple payments" or "inconvenience" or "not having everything in one place." So by that logic, they should be willing to pay something like $15-$30 a month for a service that alleviates those issues, right?

Perhaps if I were the type of person that sat down and watched anime all day/every day, then yes, $30/month would be fine. But in a typical season, I might watch 1 show and maybe go through previous series for an episode or 2 that I enjoyed, that I need a screenshot of to match with some artwork I own from said episode, etc. $30/month is not worth it for me...not when I have alternatives like Netflix, Amazon, etc. that I use several times per week to watch whatever non-anime shows they feature. There might be a free version where I have to watch a million commercials just to see one episode but that, too, is not worth it for me.

I'm so far out of the loop that I don't know who Gabe Newell is lol
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote
The thing about a streaming monopoly is not everybody likes CR. And if Sony controls CR and folds Funimation Now into it, there’s not really anywhere else for fans to go besides Netflix. And what you’re going to see is that individual shows have a harder time standing out. Gen Fukunaga made an observation like this when Netflix landed Eva. Netflix can outbid anybody and, to them, Eva is just another thing in their library. On the other hand, Funi was able to give MHA the full-court press.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/11/18135919/neon-genesis-evangelion-netflix-funimation-interview
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:57 am Reply with quote
If Funi didn't own any foreign streaming service outside of a foreign language version of FunimationNow and was not controlled mostly by Sony, I would be way more in agreement with Funi getting CR. As it stands, I am less opposed to it than Disney getting 20CF.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3