• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Revengers (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
21:

Oh, the sheer amount of bromantic pathos in the show!

I'm amazed/not amazed that Takemichi simply watched the whole thing unfold in front of him—Baji fell, Mikey went ballistic, Baji got up to kill himself―and not do a damn thing. He's a type of guy who will do something―anything―to stop a fight, whether it's throwing a fit or becoming a meat shield. Or does absolutely nothing and just watch.

He's a contradiction. He's quite a specimen.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:12 am Reply with quote
I was yelling at the screen for him to do anything, like calling for an ambulance, or really just something. Such as I was thinking that maybe he knew things ahead of time he could call the paramedics before the fight to ensure that they would get there on time to stop dying from a fatal injury.

He really mostly has dumb luck.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:19 am Reply with quote
Well, that one guy did call for an ambulance, but I guess it never showed up. But yeah, all the standing there being horrified and berating himself for not doing anything while he was not doing anything was kinda hard to watch. On the other hand, taking time out to listen to Baji's last words while Mikey was over yonder still kicking the crap out of Kazutora was kinda funny.

And how the big melee ended was hilarious. Why didn't Mikey just lay him out to begin with? Then nobody would've even had to get beaten up.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Being in a gang is about beating up or getting beaten up. If you don't beat people up or getting beaten up, are you even in a gang? Anime dazed
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:25 am Reply with quote
22:

I know this show is basically riding the cheesy bromance drama, but I thought it's funny that the episode started with the gang squabbling over their bikes.

Me: "This whole gang war started over a bike?"
Show: "IT'S MORE THAN JUST A BIKE, LET ME SHOW YOU--"

Gotta admit, this is one of the less annoying episodes. Only because Takemichi didn't have to do anything, and rightfully so. Everything that happens in this episode is just a given by this point, and now we're just waiting to see how the future has changed.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
23:

Okay, I'm a little intrigued by what's going to happen in the next / final episode, only because of the twist at the end of this episode. Honestly, this is the one time when I can't tell what's happening next. The show has been incredibly predictable the whole time, so this is a bit of a surprise for me.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
Final:

And this is why Takemichi is and will always be a dumbass.

Things didn't go exactly as planned. Nothing new by this point; Takemichi already knew (by the end of the first arc... but does he, though?) that changing one event doesn't mean the whole future is fixed. Future-changing is a volatile and unpredictable business, so Takemichi just has to keep fixing stuff until the future is up to his liking.

He becomes the captain of the first division. Great, so he's climbing up the hierarchical ladder. That's his plan, right? To become the head of Toman. After realizing that things aren't going as well as he wanted to in 2005 (which means shit is still happening twelve years later), he goes back to the present. Good call...

...and then f**king forgets everything:

- Has the future changed?
- How much has the future changed?
- What happened to me?
- What happened to Toman and the guys?
- What happened to Kisaki?

But what caught his attention all this time?

- OOH SHINY CAR!
- OOH MY HOMIES ARE LOOKING SHARP!
- OOH MY HOME IS A PENTHOUSE!
- OOH IT'S A REUNION!
- THIS PRESENT IS FINALLY AWESOME!

And the most unforgiving part?

- OOH KISAKI IS A GOOD GUY NOW!

Deep inside, I feel that shit keeps happening to Takemichi because he kinda deserves it. The writer wants to dick around with him because he gets blind-sided by the most obvious and predictable plot twists, so much that even we wanted him to get blind-sided sometimes. Until Takemichi learns to be cautious and prudent about everything around him, and realizes that future-changing is one unstable mofo, he will forever be asking "wHy iS ThIs hApPeNiNg".

Obviously there's a second season in the works, but for now, it's a 5/10. I actually enjoy the show, despite the time travel part that's been done to death and how terribly convenient the show's take is on the theme. But man, Takemichi is the most mismatched kind of hero we need for a show like this, so it's (intentionally?) nerve-grating to watch him solve this problem.

Will I watch the second season? Maybe. Takemichi's attempts are a trainwreck: it's kinda hard to watch and not to watch at the same time.

Last edited by ACxS on Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (season finale)

You know, I am kind of annoyed that up to the end Takamichi still doesn't understand the mechanics of his own time traveling. Such that him coming back to 2017 not around Naoto should mean that some fundamental elements changed, and should have easily picked up that he is now in the yakuza, thus he wouldn't have Naoto's number. Or it could be really bad if he showed the others that he had the number of a police detective. Right along with Naoto not seeming to show any tact of how he might need to act in his new position.

I also super groaned when he drank what Kisaki gave him, because Takamichi should already know that Kisaki is a bad guy, and with the mention of a Judas there was a good chance Kisaki would drug him in thinking that they are the odd ones out. I continue to be confused by what Takamichi's plan was, because he should have understood that the entire threat is from Kisaki manipulating his way into power, and so he did nothing to try and stop that.

I think that this is at an intersection of elements that I am not a big fan of this show. The plot can be way too convenient, where the time travel mechanics of shaking hands with the specific guy, which automatically understood b Naoto, to just feel like an excuse to set up the plot. Up against when it isn't convenient the main character is embarrassingly dumb in not understanding things, and then sort of gets somewhere by dumb luck. I don't think the majority of the characters are likable, being either straight up criminals or close to it in what they look up to. What is really meant to be cool about these characters who would be villains in anything else, and how does a personality like Takamichi even fit in?

My rating is going to be So-so (5/10), I actually have no honest idea why this show seems to be popular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3