• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll Originals Have Been A Disaster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
The only "Crunchyroll Originals" I've watched have been In/Spectre and Tonikawa, and are seemingly the only ones that haven't seemed to have had a lot of controversy or problems associated with them.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
liatris wrote:
Such was the case with Netflix's Saint Seiya. Their textbook focus on political correctness resulted in turning a man in pink armor into a woman.

Turning a man with feminine qualities into a woman is the opposite of 'political correctness.' Although I don't remember if they thought this was diversifying the characters or not, adding a woman to the line-up. It's closer to what happened to Zoisite in the original Sailor Moon; make the gay man with long hair a woman and you don't risk upsetting conservative viewers/parents.

As for the Wandering Son mention; that's not a Crunchyroll Original. It just streamed on the service as one of the first simulcasts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:57 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Dude, the first thing I ever watched on Crunchyroll was Wandering Son, a drama about trans kids, because I knew it would never get a physical release here, and I've never seen anything quite like it in Western media.

Please do not presume to appoint yourself the spokesman for Western anime fans. Or even "A LOT" of them.

Let's be brutally honest here, yes, "progressive" anime exists, if we want to call it that, but Wandering Son is one (1) 12 episode show from 10 years ago. It didn't do well. The same thing happened with Stars Align from 2019, which did so poorly the director resorting to asking western fans to drum up interest in hopes to get any kind of attention or funding for more episodes. There's obviously a niche of western anime fans who are into this kind of stuff, probably the same who were looking forward to High Guardian Spice, but it's a very small minority of people. It's not a coincidence that every single time this group tries to prop up one of the few shows they consider progressive it ends up being one of the lowest performing anime of the season and super niche. This is not supposed to be a dunk or a knock on them, just a statement that there's clearly a huge divide in what series the majority of anime fans always ends up gravitating towards and what these people prefer. People can point to Megalobox this season and smugly say "so much for no politics in anime, eh weebs?" as much as they want but that's not changing the fact there's 30 other anime doing much better than it right now and it's going to be yet another show that's going to go ignored and unwatched. Overall, most anime fans are probably not that progressive given the popularity of series like Shield Hero, Mushouku Tensei, Redo of Healer, Uzaki, or whatever other show ends up becoming super popular despite problematic content and attempts by angry people to get those series cancelled or dropped.

My general recommendation is people should consume what they like. Cartoon fans unhappy with how Americans shows are should watch anime. Anime fans unhappy at the lack of progressive politics in anime should just get into American cartoons. You want sexy women and are mad She-Ra made all the characters ugly? Watch Pretty Cure, or really any anime let's be honest. Mad at the lack of racial and LGBT representation in anime? Watch The Owl House or pretty much any cartoon since every cartoon has an LGBT character in it these days. Both mediums are right there and you can all stop being so angry all the time and just watch the mediums that pander to your tastes instead of holding out false hope that these entire industries suddenly change overnight.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
My general recommendation is people should consume what they like. Cartoon fans unhappy with how Americans shows are should watch anime. Anime fans unhappy at the lack of progressive politics in anime should just get into American cartoons. You want sexy women and are mad She-Ra made all the characters ugly? Watch Pretty Cure, or really any anime let's be honest. Mad at the lack of racial and LGBT representation in anime? Watch The Owl House or pretty much any cartoon since every cartoon has an LGBT character in it these days. Both mediums are right there and you can all stop being so angry all the time and just watch the mediums that pander to your tastes instead of holding out false hope that these entire industries suddenly change overnight.

[applause] Beautifully said.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
You don't have to quit watching anime if you like representation or LGBTQ characters or whatever. That stuff has been in anime forever and the idea that it's not or that it's a minority is ridiculous. The (two) examples you cited are series where LGBTQ issues are a central point but you're cherry-picking to an extreme and also making a value judgment based on JP streaming links...are we going to ignore data from CR and Funimation entirely?

Queer stuff has always been in anime. Sometimes it's problematic, like the okama stereotype or lesbian tragedy couple but it's incredibly common even when it's not central to the plot. Like, it's kinda weird you left Wonder Egg Priority off your haphazard thesis statement. Or Dragon Maid. Or all the subtextual yuri stuff in KyoAni works that sell like crazy. Are we pretending that yuri and yaoi markets don't exist either here?

Also if the answer to "the children's cartoon of She-Ra isn't sexy anymore, watch this other children's cartoon (PreCure) for sexy women"... Question I mean there's doujinshi for everything but I don't think the majority of anime fans look to PreCure for sexy anime girls. Remind me (don't) if you were the same guy who talked about getting off to Sailor Moon a few threads ago and that's why it can't be 'feminist'?

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Malsang

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:09 pm Reply with quote
liatris wrote:

The probability of failure for Crunchyroll and Netflix's original anime is so great that their brands have completely collapsed.
Unfortunately, I think we've reached a point where we need to back off, Ex-arm had reached the level of Musashi Gun-dou, it's hard to believe it's the 2020s.

I agree that Crunchyroll has had some high-profile failures. Gibiate + Ex-Arm are legendary. And I agree that Netflix seems to be funding a lot of mediocre dreck, but to be fair I HATE 3DCG anime which seems to be what Netflix is focusing in on. However, I don't think that a company in the entertainment industry should have it's success measured solely on it's success:failure ratio. The lesson that Hollywood learned long ago is that the majority of their movies do not make enough money to pay for the costs of making them. So how is Hollywood still in business? Because when they do get a hit, it's often so successful that it pays for the rest. I'd wager this "mining mentality" exists in the Japanese entertainment industry as well: make a ton of stuff knowing that most of it will probably fail, but then you get a success that makes the business profitable enough overall to continue. You can look at the obscene amount of anime that will never get a season two (despite available source material) as proof of this.

Heck, wasn't Crunchyroll a co-producer on A Place Further Than The Universe? That alone justifies their continued inroads into the anime industry, even if there's been quite a few stumbling blocks.

Last edited by Malsang on Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
liatris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
liatris wrote:
Such was the case with Netflix's Saint Seiya. Their textbook focus on political correctness resulted in turning a man in pink armor into a woman.

Turning a man with feminine qualities into a woman is the opposite of 'political correctness.' Although I don't remember if they thought this was diversifying the characters or not, adding a woman to the line-up. It's closer to what happened to Zoisite in the original Sailor Moon; make the gay man with long hair a woman and you don't risk upsetting conservative viewers/parents.

As for the Wandering Son mention; that's not a Crunchyroll Original. It just streamed on the service as one of the first simulcasts.

Yes. You're right, it's the opposite of political correctness.
But the creator told the user that he added women because a male-only team would convey the wrong message. In other words, he thought that changing gay men to women was political correctness.
Unfortunately, there is no hiding their lack of knowledge, ignorance, and arrogance.

And yes, everyone knows that Wandering Son is not a Crunchyroll original. Rather, that is the problem. Wandering Son does not involve Crunchyroll. But you brought up Wandering Son as a good example, didn't you?
So this proves that American services fail to produce such diverse works, and that the Japanese do a much better job of producing diverse works.

Why can't they admit that American Anime service companies like Crunchyroll and Netflix are more discriminatory and arrogant than their Japanese counterparts? That is the problem.
In other words, they think they have not failed. Therefore, they have nothing to be sorry for. This means there is no possibility of improvement.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Another poster brought up Wandering Son as an example of what drew them to CR as a service. I just said that I'm glad people watched it, since I also liked it. I don't know that it really makes for good evidence of anything in particular.

I think now we're also starting to veer off topic from the content of the article itself, so let's try to move back in the right direction.
liatris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Another poster brought up Wandering Son as an example of what drew them to CR as a service. I just said that I'm glad people watched it, since I also liked it. I don't know that it really makes for good evidence of anything in particular.

I think now we're also starting to veer off topic from the content of the article itself, so let's try to move back in the right direction.

I'm talking about what was "Crunchyroll Originals Have Been A Disaster", i.e. focusing on the content of the article. The writer says that communication has failed and that there is a cover-up mentality. This is happening because they are not admitting that they have failed. They think that admitting failure will set them back, but in fact they are already lapsed. As long as they don't admit this, it's impossible to have a dialogue about what went wrong and what went right.
There will be no improvement until there is focus in the American anime community on this point.

However, if you don't want to discuss this further, I have nothing to say.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe the end result is that American streaming services had no idea how to do business in the Japanese anime industry or the anime community scene.

Well, as I mentioned before, that's because many Japanese companies has no qualms on trolling their foreign counterparts.They forgot to tell the Japanese what kind of quality it is that foreigners want to see, because otherwise, the Japanese could send any crap, no matter what type.

Quote:
I agree that Crunchyroll has had some high-profile failures. Gibiate + Ex-Arm are legendary

If I remember correctly, Gibiate was a vanity project from Sugizo that had good ideas but those ideas never went well in practice. I don’t know if CR has some blame on this.

Quote:
From the results, I would have to say that the Japanese anime industry tolerates a more diverse environment than the American anime industry.

IMO, I think that Japanese media industry has more tolerance to failure than American producers, and that's the reason you see tons of works which normally wouldn't being green-lighted in the States, or, like the Gibiate case, some of those projects are the vanity projects of some rich guy, animator or company with tons of money to burn.

Quote:
However, I don't think that a company in the entertainment industry should have it's success measured solely on it's success:failure ratio. The lesson that Hollywood learned long ago is that the majority of their movies do not make enough money to pay for the costs of making them. So how is Hollywood still in business? Because when they do get a hit, it's often so successful that it pays for the rest. I'd wager this "mining mentality" exists in the Japanese entertainment industry as well: make a ton of stuff knowing that most of it will probably fail, but then you get a success that makes the business profitable enough overall to continue. You can look at the obscene amount of anime that will never get a season two (despite available source material) as proof of this.

Hollywood, and by default, American culture, had a very low tolerance to failure. If your movie fail to make any money, or in the worse case, cause the company to lose money, you're blacklisted. Period The only reason why Hollywood films are successful is because the quality standards of American entertaiment are the highest of all the world, and that's the reason why movie agents are so valued there. Their job is to make sure their clients wouldn't end participating in a bad movie that could kill their careers, because, if they also screw on that job, they would end being either sued or worse.
o76923

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Malsang wrote:
Netflix seems to be funding a lot of mediocre dreck, but to be fair I HATE 3DCG anime which seems to be what Netflix is focusing in on. However, I don't think that a company in the entertainment industry should have it's success measured solely on it's success:failure ratio.

The 3DCG Netflix thing is actually a really interesting example of what you're talking about. Netflix is, first and foremost, a technology company. They view many of their decisions through that lens. They push 3DCG so hard, including investing heavily in the technology to produce the stuff more quickly and cheaply, because it solves a technical problem with anime. Hand drawn anime usually only gets broadcast at 720p (if that) because that's the biggest you can blow up a standard piece of paper before artifacts like squiggles become visible. Netflix sells different tiers of service based on what your maximum resolution is. So, it doesn't make sense for them to have their signature premium content look the same at all resolutions—that doesn't incentivize upgrading. So they either needed to give animators 24×33 pieces of paper to play with or switch to digital. Every cell being a poster would be an absolute nightmare to work with so they went digital. That also gives them the ability to lip flap in any language, upscale it later, or do other wonky things with it.

Netflix probably doesn't care if any of their first few years of anime are popular, critically acclaimed, or even profitable. They know that entering a new industry and establishing themselves there is difficult. So, they'll spend a few years ironing out the kinks in their production until they focus on establishing themselves. Hopefully, in a decade, they'll be great.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
battle-arc-fan wrote:
Creating shows with strong women AND men (you know, like anime does all the time)

???

I haven't watched every anime Japan has made over the last 60 years but I almost guarantee you that not every anime (or manga) features strong female and male characters. Some of them even feature the weak male strong female dynamic you mentioned. Also Black Widow has been objectified hence why there was a period of time where her catsuit (PVC leather) would be upzipped even on the cover or other official artwork just enough to show off her cleavage which obviously they didn't carry over to the live action films or the animated series.

battle-arc-fan wrote:

Consider the context here: it isn't that the High Guardian Spice bashers necessarily hated Steven Universe. Instead, they were trying to prevent a situation from forming where Steven Universe is all they are ever going to get to see.

Except that wouldn't have happened anyway. This isn't nickelodeon or CN where they've axed or schedule fucked so many shows they have no choice but to rely on one specific show because those shows also happen to have the best ratings..

battle-arc-fan wrote:

Compare Cartoon Network today with 10-20 years ago. Do you honestly think that Samurai Jack, Ben 10 or (the original) Teen Titans, Batman: The Brave and the Bold etc. would get greenlit in this era?

Yes. The current Ben 10 series is basically a more goofy throwback to the original series.

battle-arc-fan wrote:
And to be frank and earnest: if High Guardian Spice isn't good enough for Cartoon Network or the network that gave us 70 episodes of Mike Tyson Mysteries then what on earth makes it good enough for Crunchyroll?

...........Have you seen the stuff that CrunchyRoll has licensed?

There's some poorly written, poorly drawn, and poorly animated stuff on there. Let's not pretend that CR cares about quality. As for Adult Swim Mike Tyson mysteries was not the worst Adult Swim Original show to ever air on the block in it's history.

luisedgarf wrote:

Hollywood, and by default, American culture, had a very low tolerance to failure. If your movie fail to make any money, or in the worse case, cause the company to lose money, you're blacklisted. Period The only reason why Hollywood films are successful is because the quality standards of American entertaiment are the highest of all the world, and that's the reason why movie agents are so valued there. Their job is to make sure their clients wouldn't end participating in a bad movie that could kill their careers, because, if they also screw on that job, they would end being either sued or worse.

You're more likely to be blacklisted in hollywood nowadays if you're a shitbird director who makes the lives of the actors and production crew (along with the studio) hell like Josh Trank. Actors at least nowadays can get away with being in terrible movies like Kevin Costner or John Travolta, or Cara Delevingne and still get work.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:33 am; edited 4 times in total
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
o76923 wrote:
Malsang wrote:
Netflix seems to be funding a lot of mediocre dreck, but to be fair I HATE 3DCG anime which seems to be what Netflix is focusing in on. However, I don't think that a company in the entertainment industry should have it's success measured solely on it's success:failure ratio.

The 3DCG Netflix thing is actually a really interesting example of what you're talking about. Netflix is, first and foremost, a technology company. They view many of their decisions through that lens. They push 3DCG so hard, including investing heavily in the technology to produce the stuff more quickly and cheaply, because it solves a technical problem with anime. Hand drawn anime usually only gets broadcast at 720p (if that) because that's the biggest you can blow up a standard piece of paper before artifacts like squiggles become visible. Netflix sells different tiers of service based on what your maximum resolution is. So, it doesn't make sense for them to have their signature premium content look the same at all resolutions—that doesn't incentivize upgrading. So they either needed to give animators 24×33 pieces of paper to play with or switch to digital. Every cell being a poster would be an absolute nightmare to work with so they went digital. That also gives them the ability to lip flap in any language, upscale it later, or do other wonky things with it.

Netflix probably doesn't care if any of their first few years of anime are popular, critically acclaimed, or even profitable. They know that entering a new industry and establishing themselves there is difficult. So, they'll spend a few years ironing out the kinks in their production until they focus on establishing themselves. Hopefully, in a decade, they'll be great.

This is a great example of how having no idea how anime is made leads to confidently wrong statements. Anything not CG modeled isn’t still being hand drawn on paper. Digital art and computers are a staple of any animation process. Netflix isn’t guffawing at the idea of paper and anime isn’t some anti-tech magic land that still works exclusively on it.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:56 pm Reply with quote
This article was a very great read. Fena has been pretty much the only Crunchyroll original that has massively caught my attention (didn't care much for Tower of God, Ramune was just ok, and haven't watched any others). I wonder how Crunchyroll and Netflix's approaches to making originals (full shows) differs from Funimation dipping their toes into the water . I think their only one is the upcoming movie Sing a Bit of Harmony? I remember there being a "we made these!" section on the app but can't find it anymore and might have just been funding rather than "Funimation Original".

o76923, I loved your explaination of CGI. I always wondered why Netflix had such an obsession with it and that makes a lot of sense. I honestly hope Netflix investing into CGI helps staff to figure out how to make it look better (ie char designs, direction, etc). I'm not extremely anti CGI, but it can look really bad if not properly done.
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote
o76923 wrote:
Malsang wrote:

Hi! I really really really don't want to be mean, but every part of this is incorrect.

Netflix is, first and foremost, a technology company: Kind of? They're a streaming platform, but a lot of their staff don't work on the tech part of it. The people who go out and secure the licenses and exclusive deals for these shows are actually people who used to work in the anime industry that Netflix recruited.

They push 3DCG so hard, including investing heavily in the technology: Netflix don't invest in the technology for 3DCG shows. They will pay for the license to stream them, but it's 3DCG anime studios that are developing the technology and creating the programs.

produce the stuff more quickly and cheaply: 3DCG anime is usually more expensive than 2D anime.

Because that's the biggest you can blow up a standard piece of paper before artifacts like squiggles become visible: In fact, there is now a 2D anime rendered out at 4K (Sol Levante). The reason most aren't in high resolution is because outside of VFX heavy shows, most people can't tell the difference. For instance, Sol Levante is only visibly 4K because it's so heavy on VFX.

So they either needed to give animators 24×33 pieces of paper to play with or switch to digital.: Or they just focus on digital compositing at high resolution, which is what's currently being done.

So, they'll spend a few years ironing out the kinks in their production until they focus on establishing themselves.: Once again, Netflix doesn't make the shows or provide the tech.

So, why are there a load of Netflix 3DCG shows?: Of course, there's the obvious timing issue in that we're now at a point where 3D anime is able to be more readily accepted. But there's also the issue of budgeting. A lot of the 3D studios like Anima and Sublimation have a "Production Line Partnership" with Netflix to create new shows. These studios haven't done full anime production until today, where the amount of money Netflix is paying is enough to offset the costs.

That's why you also see them working with mega studios like Polygon Pictures and Sola Digital Arts, who'd previously avoided working within the anime industry. Some studios have managed to scale back on costs to closer meet average anime budgets, but that's more difficult for larger teams.

There's also probably the most important reason why 3DCG anime is becoming more prevalent: OVERPRODUCTION. Netflix wants a million shows, Crunchyroll wants a million shows. Everyone wants as much content as possible. So if Netflix is making the rounds saying, "Who on earth wants to make a Dragon's Dogma anime?" and all the 2D anime studios are busy, then they're going to end up at the door of 3DCG studios who would normally be doing outsourcing or games work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7