• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi's Urusei Yatsura Manga Gets New TV Anime in 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Seeing david production and a couple of JoJo directors attached to this project is very exciting. I'm kinda lukewarm on the manga, but the first two movies are personal faves. Looking forward to this; it'll look great, if nothing else.
Nicholai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I thought there was no better way to end 2021 than watching The Warning in concert. The first thing I saw afterwards was this.

I had hoped Rumiko would re-visit UY after completing Rin-ne but this could be a great substitute. If nothing else this might help inspire a Blu-ray release of the original series in North America following Discotek's movie releases. It sure will be difficult, however, to replace the marvelous Japanese voice actors who worked on the original series.

Regarding "fixing anime girls," I've occasionally worn a UY T-shirt to work which prominently features the scantily-clad Lum and I've had several young ladies gush over how much they love my shirt.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:35 pm Reply with quote
ZetMoon80 wrote:
Since this will air on Noitamina, would it be correct to assume that it will be a short series that will take elements from the original manga to make something new instead of making a faithful adaptation?

ANN is now reporting that it is planned to be 4 cours long, although not consecutively.

Also to put in my own two cents, I really hope this will lead to the old show to finally be streamed and/or released on home video in the west.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Urusei Yatsura is great and a real classic, though I like Ranma more I'm definitely going to watch it. I just hope they're not simply going to remake the old anime but instead adapting some missing chapters.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
It’s just not Urusei Yatsura without Toshio Furukawa and Fumi Hirano. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpideyDude

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I believe they're too old at this point to properly voice teenagers. You can hear their voices are aging in the 2008 OVA. It's the same reason why Akira Kamiya won'tcplay Kenshiro anymore.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
SpideyDude wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I believe they're too old at this point to properly voice teenagers. You can hear their voices are aging in the 2008 OVA. It's the same reason why Akira Kamiya won'tcplay Kenshiro anymore.

Even if they could, this is being targeted at a new generation. 15-20 year old anime fans don't want some 60-70 year old seiyuu voicing their anime characters, instead they want the new popular ones like Uesaka and Kamiya. Anytime an old series comes back after decades they replace the seiyuu with new popular ones, like Fruit Basket and Shaman King recently.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Noitamina slot means it will be late night.
Wasn't the original broadcast at around 7 pm, i.e. prime time?
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:01 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
SpideyDude wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Even if they could, this is being targeted at a new generation. 15-20 year old anime fans don't want some 60-70 year old seiyuu voicing their anime characters, instead they want the new popular ones like Uesaka and Kamiya. Anytime an old series comes back after decades they replace the seiyuu with new popular ones, like Fruit Basket and Shaman King recently.

I get the point being made here, but Shaman King's probably not the best example considering they DID get back as many of the original seiyuu as they could. Heck, Hiroyuki Takei turned down a previous offer for a Shaman King anime reboot precisely because they were going replace the cast.

Back on the subject of Urusei Yatsura, I've always been curious about it since the TV anime isn't available legally right now, so this seems as good a way to hop on as any. I always figured it was probably going to be a matter of time before some producers tried reviving an old Takahashi thing considering her legacy, and this sure seems safer than trying to do a new Ranma 1/2 anime in the year of our lord 2021.

(On that note for all the folks expressing fears westerners are gonna try to "cancel" this or whatever...it's a horny rom-com. Plenty of those exist today and it's not like modern anime fans are lacking any familarity with fanservice considering how big light novels and the like are. At worst, this is probably just gonna illicit a shrug from anyone not specifically lured in by the Jojo's staff)
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised that "Urusei Yatsura" is getting another anime adaptation. Well,it kinda deserves it and I hope this one gets a dub. I'd like to see that.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:19 am Reply with quote
HUGE fan of Urusei Yatsura. I'll be 60 in March, and I started reading the manga back when Viz first started putting them out in the US back in the late 80s. Got annoyed when it got canned after 8 floppies and when I found out about the widebans, bought all 15 of them between 1990 and 91. Later started renting the Animeigo releases from the old Neo Tokyo International that used to be just past Ohio State U in the early-late 1990s, and later started buying the DVDs. I have the entire set (50 TV, 6 OVA and 6 movies).

I am very curious how this series will do in this day and age. I still really enjoy the show and manga to this day, and I couldn't imagine the original VAs coming back. Granted, the OVA that was released with the It's A Rumic World exhibition in 2008 had most of the original VAs including Hirano Fumi (Lum) and Furukawa Toshio (Ataru), but I know the original VA for Cherry (Nagai Ichirou) died a year or so ago, and both the leads have to be in their 70s by now.

Also, will they be adapting the original manga? Many of the stories in the original anime series either expanded on the original manga stories or created new ones out of whole cloth. I suspect the creators of this new series will probably take that approach, or at least SHOULD. Oh well, when it does arrive, I shall at least be trying it out
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:30 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'm kinda surprised that "Urusei Yatsura" is getting another anime adaptation. Well,it kinda deserves it and I hope this one gets a dub. I'd like to see that.

This is the first time that Urusei Yatsura is being remade, though. Everything else was either original theatrical films, or OVAs that adapted chapters of the manga that didn't make it into the original TV series.

It'll be interesting to see if this new version will leave out Megane, Chibi, Kakugari, and Perm since they were nameless background characters in the original manga.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:31 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

I'll keep an open mind on any dub that a possible American release might get, but I have the entire original DVD series (62 DVDs) and began watching the series in 1992. The originals are one of the few series where I steadfastly WON'T watch dubbed (others include The Dirty Pair (original), Bubblegum Crisis (again, original) and Gunbuster (though that never got a dub). I got attached to Hirano Fumi and Furukawa Toshio as Lum and Ataru, and after hearing dubbed versions of the movies and the first four eps, cleaned my ears and went back to the subs.

I see there will be new VAs for this new series, which is expected since the original VAs are either dead (Cherry) or too old to portray teenagers. But like I said, I'll give both the Japanese and any possible American VAs a chance.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:37 am Reply with quote
Hay, maybe it'll even have a beginning a middle and an ending. A definitive one.. heres to hoping!
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:52 am Reply with quote
I heard a more cleaner version of "Lum's Love Song" so I already got something out this! While it's just a teaser considering the people they already have behind it it might be good. I'm already starting to make JoJo x Ususei Yatsura memes. Ataru: Oh you're approaching me? Lum: I have to if i want to shock you good...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7